1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

2 weird problems after hdd ghost

Discussion in 'General Software' started by xman2007, Dec 7, 2006.

1. xman2007

xman2007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok i downloaded maxblast 4 to ghost my c: to my d: so i could boot off d: (my sata drive).
    once done i restarted the pc and set my d: to boot first as it did. all looked well and windows started up with no problems and drive letters had changed like i wanted them,

so me like an idiot formatted my old boot drive (what the hey its done what i wanted it to right? wrong) now i cant run msconfig, ive tried running a command prompt and from the folder c:\windows\system32\dllcache (or wherever it was) and nothing happens.

also got a weird popup box saying "SL70.tmp has encountered an error and needs to close" (i think this is an update for msvm)

any ideas on how i can diagnose the problem, i really dont want to end up formatting as ive just done 1 a few days ago (and the mrs would kill me if i got rid oher precious sims 2 :mad: )
  2. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtXâ„¢

Thanks Received:
    there is a command you can use in the run box to check windows sytem files and make sure they havent been altered i believe it is sfc /scannow
  3. xman2007

xman2007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    cheers for the quick reply athlonx2 tried that and it came up with nothing, i might just do an installation over the top although i dont like to do this as it isnt great, its funny ive been using xp for 3 maybe 4 years and i know a hell of a lot of things but ill bet there are a hell of a lot more things i dont know just like that command ive never used that, i wondoer why microsoft make it so hard for people just to troubleshoot and diagnose a problem as the troubleshooting section in help and support is absolutely useless imo. i would consider myself a pretty experienced user so i feel bad for all average home users who have to diagnose a simple problem.