1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

20 wireless IP cameras

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by wat'r, Jun 4, 2013.

1. wat'r New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi all,

I came across your forum and I must say I am impressed with the information on here. It has been useful so far.

I have a situation. I have a storage yard and want to put up 20 1.3MP wireless IP cameras. The distance to the router is 400 feet for about 8 cameras, 200 feet for another 8 and 4 are pretty close.

Obviously they are not all going to hit the router.

Question.... can I simply put up 4 or 5 repeaters ( the $20-$30 ones you see everywhere ) around the property to get the signals back?

Is there any configuring that needs to happen?

Will this approach work even????

I was going to run and store on a purpose built PC.... IS a NAS better????

I am a tad out of my area of what I normally do :(

Any help appreciated

Leigh
  2. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    If you are doing something like this take a look at what Ubiquiti has to offer. We use their equipment for clients and it's top notch stuff at great pricing.

www.ubnt.com
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Geofrancis

Geofrancis

Thanks Received:
    I run ubiquity equipment for my wireless ISP. And have experimented with every combination of router to do what your planning on doing. I would recommend you get a powerful base station like the ubiquiti bullet2HP or bullet M2 if the cameras are 11N combined with a 15dbi+ high gain omni directional antenna. This should allow you to connect any camera within a quarter mile as long as its line of sight.

You want to use the minimum number of repeaters possible so if you can use one then set up another bullet router at the mid point it should cover everything.

Last thing.
    Make sure your using WPA2 and Make your wifi password something that cannot be brute forced with a computer something like jghhHHHghhh)(f565)£&&)£54:?!)5ttr;g make it long and with every type of character. Your cameras won't help you if anyone can get you wifi key.
    Aquinus says thanks.
  4. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I always post this image when people say stuff like this and it's 100% relevant to password strength. Don't make it hard to remember, just make it long. The rest of your advice is solid. Cheers!

[​IMG]
    Src: xkcd
    bmaverick and Geofrancis say thanks.
  5. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    I think random characters with special characters are stronger than sentences. But weak passwords with numbers and special characters substituted in are still weak.
  6. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    ...and still harder to remember though. You're not going to know what combinations of words to try or how long it is. You'll never dictionary crack a long phrase. But we digress.

Ubiquity sounds like the way to go.
  7. Geofrancis

Geofrancis

Thanks Received:
    Keep it in a txt file then copy and paste then email it to yourself for safe keeping after everything is set up

Depending on the cameras you have the will usually upload it to a FTP server so any nas or PC with a big hard drive will do