1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

$2000-3000 build.

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Ruse, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Ruse New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have relatively no experience when it comes to computer hardware, however after many hours of research I've got a rough idea of the pieces I want. Please bear in mind that I am Australian, and thus won't be purchasing these pieces from Newegg or any other foreign site, I am simply using them to pick parts, and then I'll try to find them somewhere a little closer to home (which also means parts are a little more expensive over here):p

The rig will primarily be used for gaming, at the moment World of Warcraft (yes I know this is overkill), but I also like to play some of the more high end games :p Plus I would like this build to be viable for an extended length of time.

MOBO: Intel S775 Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6 from HERE ($333) --- Is this any good for OC'ing?

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz from HERE ($226) --- Wanting to OC it to 3Ghz (or maybe higher..need to do research :p).

VGA: Hoping to acquire two 4870x2 x 2..depending on when they come out, of course. Or maybe just two 4870's.

RAM: DDR2 Ram G. Skill-PI 4GB Kit (2x2048MB) 1066MHz ($179)

HDD: Western Digital SATA 320GB ($65) -- Using a second one from my current rig as well.

PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 850W ($246)

Case: Cosmos RC-1000 ($266)

Heatsink: Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme ($69)

DVD Burner: 20x SATA Pioneer BK ($33)

OP: Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit ($239)

Total: $1,648
    Let me know if any of those parts won't work together, or if you have any suggestions :D

Lastly I want to replace my ancient CD/DVD burner and drive.. now I don't want anything fancy in this regard, just something that will allow me to play dvds (not blu ray etc), and burn a wide variety of media (eg music/general files/maybe some dvds.. etc).

Hmm I think thats everything. Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  2. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
  3. Castiel

Castiel

Thanks Received:
    Nice, I like it.

4. Ruse New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the suggestions :D I found an awesome case, but sadly it isn't available over here in Aussie land (and I can only imagine what the shipping would cost :p).

I've been trying to find Australian stores selling the same parts and have hit a brick wall with the motherboard (DFI LANPARTY UT X48-T3R). It isn't available over here currently. I'm quite set on the choice though.. so could anyone recommend a store that ships overseas? Or would that be too risky an idea (with the DOA thing and all)?

Thanks.

5. Atnevon

Atnevon

Thanks Received:
    That is a pretty nice budget. For myself, I would be in the free for all bin.

That power supply I have in my rig now. I have not had one problem at all. I had it just in case I ever SLied' 2 GTXes together, but have yet. However, it will hold it, so I'm sure it can handle anything you throw at it. YOu have my recomendation. Plus, Silverstone is a great brand. Can't go wrong.

Since it is nice, here would be my recommendations for now, since you got the money:

Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188013

I have it, and its a charm.

GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130338

You may notice both are EVGA. Why? Hands down great quality, and Tech Support better than your mother. They can kiss you illfortune or problem boo-boos and make them feel better. I've called a few times, and so glad my mobo and GPU are from them, they can help you much better. I can't believe that such a service is overlooked.

Oh, and 2 great words: Lifetime Warrenty. Have fun OCing, but if the die, and you put just a bit of money to the register, you can have your replacement in 2 days. But, quality is great, so hopefully this wont happen. Nice to have that fallback.

If you SLI, go with there 780i board. Which is basicly the same.

As for case, since you have more money, I would go with these:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112165

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119138

Both are great quality, and have room to improve. So if you go water or air cooled, or want to make it prettier, you have the room to do so. Also, Lian-Li has an accessery line out the ass with goodies. They are worth doing a bit of research to. I believe FrozenCPU.com has alot for sale.

Now, my belief is that DDR3 is not worth going to. Its faster, bt not enough to merit the cost. YOu have a budget, so go for it if you have the dough. However, DDR2 at say 1066 would still be great to have. Just my 2 cents.

And to top it off, if you want 2 hard drives, go with a 32mb cache. YOu get a bit more juice in speed from them, and are worth getting.

Happy Hunting,
    -Andrew

6. Ruse New Member

Thanks Received:
    The PSU is available over here, yay! :D

As for the Heatsink.. I can't find that particular model anywhere in Aust. Are there any from this list you'd recommend?

Thanks xD

---------

Atnevon, thank you! :D Your reply was a huge help. I've decided to go with the 780i, and switched a few things around so that they are both EVGA. I've noticed a lot of people complaining about horrible customer service with some brands. Also changed to DDR2 RAM, took a look at the Aussie DDR3 RAM prices and almost died :laugh:

Still undecided when it comes to the case. Mwhehe I'm far too picky. xDD