1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

2006 Alienware case.. stick with liq cooled or go fan?

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by thirteenchucks, Aug 27, 2012.

1. thirteenchucks New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a 2006 Alienware Area-51 case, right before the Dell buyout. It's my favorite case style, so I'm keeping it and upgrading everything else. It came stock with a liq cooled system.. which leaked and needs new hoses, etc.
    My question is.. since I need a new waterblock, hoses, etc. should I replace that and stick with the liquid or scrap it and buy a new fan system? The later may be a little cheaper, but does this particular case have enough air flow for fans?
    I don't plan to overclock ( much, if any ) but I live in Texas - it gets to be 108 or so and the room's hot to begin with. I will be doing some triple monitor gaming and video editing..

Thanks!

2. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    buy new watercooling. many all-in-one units on the market that'll work for ya, or you can take the custom route if ya want.

3. thirteenchucks New Member

Thanks Received:
    All new system? I think it was only the hose that broke.. maybe you have a point though.. it is a few years old..

4. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    More importantly, the stuff you are changing is new too, so even the area that is being cooled might change, so your old block might be useless, while a new cheap unit may do better simply be being designed for the newer stuff.

I've always loved the Alienware cases, so I understand wanting to use it, but be aware that at teh same time ,you might have to do some serious modifications to be able to do so. The cost of those mods might exceeed teh cost of a new case, too, so all things should be considered.

thirteenchucks says thanks.
  5. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

I assume that is the inside of your case? If so from the looks of it you can either swap the entire thing for an H40/50/60/70 without any issues. I wouldn't just replace the hose and move on those old water coolers were a bit of a mess.

6. thirteenchucks New Member

Thanks Received:
    Good point, thanks for the tip! You like the H60 or 70 better than a Zalman?
    Yes, that's it. Those hoses are so long, I bumped one too hard trying to get the RAM out.. I'm hoping to shorten the next ones.
    Thanks!

7. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    I have 3-4 h50's and an h70. I like them but they are all about the same buy the best warranty.

8. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    The h70 competes/beats super high end air. The only thing better than an h70 is some kind of absolutely massive, gargantuan air cooler, or a custom water setup (or of course, the h100, which is pretty much a double rad version of the h70, but could be tricky to fit... h70 works for almost everyone).

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    I love mine holds my Xeon X3440 to 4.2ghz with HT on nice and stable temps right around 55C load with a single scythe ultra kaze 120x38mm on PWM.

10. thirteenchucks New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, I'm sold on the H70.. does it really mater what fan goes with it? (the 120mm that's sold separately) I'm thinking Noctua NF-F12 PWM..

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  11. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You want fans with high static pressure : ] Gentle Typhoons if you want good performance whilst remaining quiet. 38mm thick deltas if you care more about performance. ( the ones that come with the AIOs are fine for the most part though, upgrade when you need more performance, but don't expect world changing results from changing fans!)

Regarding the old water cooling unit just get rid of it, how ever check the pump! I've had a few come that were Liang DDC type pumps which you can sell for a nice bit of cash : ] :toast:

By the way the antec kuhler 920 performs slightly better than the H70 if you have room for it :toast:

12. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    They are the exact same product one just ships with a usb cord. Th h70's testing is a bit flawed if you look at the testing room he has a 10C temp difference between the 920 and h70.

13. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Does that case even have 120mm fan mounts?

Panaflo fans are the best IMHO

14. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    They're not quite the same actually, internals are a wee bit different!

better tubing on the antec as well ( a lot less restrictive so pump doesn't have as much resistance : ] )

15. thirteenchucks New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I think so. I'll double check, thanks!

16. Rei86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Antec is being made by Asetek, Corsair switched to CoolIt Systems. Designs are still the same however but a slight difference.

Also to note Asetek has stopped shipping most of their products with the plastic tubing and switched too the rubber style. Wish Corsair would switch the H100 to this style also.

17. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Corsair was still split between CoolIt and Asetek depending on model last time I checked? My H70 has Asetek embossed on it...

18. Rei86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Corsair switched in 2010 with the 1st product being the H60.

The H70 is still part of the old design and Asetek.

Anything with Corsair link is part of the new Corsair/CoolIt partnership.