• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

reverse current in inverter

Asrar

My house is equipped with an inverter 1500w. The inverter provides a nice supply when already connected to an ac outlet which charges its battery simultaneously. But the problem is that when the ac supply gets cut off, the inverter provides the power supply(+) even when the switch is off in the board at wall outlet, that too in both the pins (+&-). Kindly help me to stop it. Any furhther queries may be asked? Thanking you in advance.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
What voltage is the supply running at, when you say "supply" do you mean the mains? It sounds like you need a diode on the supply or a transistor/relay that can disconnect from the mains when it goes out and reconnects it when it comes on, but a diode would provide the easiest solution but there is always a voltage drop associated with diodes, so a relay switch or series of transistors may be a better option. A little more description about your setup could be enlightening as well.

I take it you're trying to prevent putting the inverter output from back-feeding to the mains. This is a safety concern for any "generator" as putting power back on the circuit could harm people working on the outage since wires that should be dead could be live do to your inverter, not to mension devices drawing that power could blow a fuse. Setups like these are required to either disconnect entirely from the mains or to be outfitted with a grid tie inverter, those really are your two options.

Last edited:

Asrar

By supply I mean mains 200-220 v
U ve got me rit but I m a layman and I dont understand the scientific terms like diode etc.
I m sending a pic so that u can undrstnd well wat I want to say.
Also kindly tell me where to fit the said equipment and which one should I use.

Asrar

2014-07-26 20.59.19.jpg
I means input coming from mains
O means output from the inverter going to different rooms and sockets
2014-07-26 20.59.19.jpg