• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8 failure configuring updates and reverting

Hi. I have a HP laptop model 2000-2C27CL running Windows 8 that I was given because the person cracked the screen. I have removed the bad screen and I am waiting for a replacement screen to be delivered. In the meantime I have hooked this laptop up to a external monitor. I reformatted the computer and get into Windows with no problem. I got all of the driver updates that the HP Update Center said it needed. I then proceed to get updates for the Win8 OS itself.. they download, install, and upon reboot I get the message...

"Failure configuring Windows updates Reverting changes Do not turn off your computer."

So I reformatted the computer again (very time consuming with Win8 IME) and the same thing happens all over again....

"Failure configuring Windows updates Reverting changes Do not turn off your computer."

The first time I reformatted it I let it download every update that was available. The second time I reformatted it I selected just certain updates, NOT all of them. I chose to skip ALL .Net updates because I have seen them give issues in Windows 7 when getting them along with other updates. I still faced the same issue. I am currently in the process of my 3rd reformat job picking the "Minimized Image Recovery" option. This is RIDICULOUS! No wonder people are clinging to Windows XP. Win8 is a disaster! I am trying to fix this computer up to give it away to a 12 year old whose family doesn't have the money to buy her a computer. She needs one to do her school work at home.

This is very frustrating and I am at my wits end. Help with this situation is GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.

System Name Lynni PS \ Lenowo TwinkPad T480
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700 Raphael \ i7-8550U Kaby Lake-R
Motherboard ASRock B650M PG Riptide Bios v. 2.02 AMD AGESA 1.1.0.0 \ Lenowo 20L60036MX Bios 1.47
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black (Only middle fan) \ Lenowo WN-2
Memory G.Skill Flare X5 2x16GB DDR5 6000MHZ CL36-36-36-96 AMD EXPO \ Willk Elektronik 2x16GB 2666MHZ CL17
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX™ 4070 Dual OC GPU: 2325-2355 MEM: 1462| Nvidia GeForce MX™ 150 2GB GDDR5 Micron
Storage Gigabyte M30 1TB|Sabrent Rocket 2TB| HDD: 10TB|1TB \ SKHynix 256GB 2242 3x2 | WD SN700 1TB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 27GP850-B 1440p@165Hz | LG 48CX OLED 4K HDR | AUO 14" 1440p IPS
Case Asus Prime AP201 White Mesh | Lenowo T480 chassis
Audio Device(s) Steelseries Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 12 M 750W Goldie | 65W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeedy Wireless | Lenowo TouchPad & Logitech G305
Keyboard Akko 3108 DS Horizon V2 Cream Yellow | T480 UK Lumi
Software Win11 Pro 23H2 UK
Benchmark Scores 3DMARK: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/89434432? GPU-Z: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/details/v3zbr
why even go to length doing recover of windows?

the last few laptops i have installed a clean Windows 8.1 was on Lenovo's with the SLC and they activated with license imbedded in the bios and i used stock Microsoft Windows 8.1 not a modded Lenovo version.

why even go to length doing recover of windows?

the last few laptops i have installed a clean Windows 8.1 was on Lenovo's with the SLC and they activated with license imbedded in the bios and i used stock Microsoft Windows 8.1 not a modded Lenovo version.

This laptop comes with Windows 8, not 8.1. It has no issues with activation. When the issue "Failure configuring Windows updates Reverting changes Do not turn off your computer" comes up it's stuck there forever and the only way out is to reformat in my situation and I used the recovery partition for that. Maybe I am missing what you are getting at?

Motherboard ASRock B650M PG Riptide Bios v. 2.02 AMD AGESA 1.1.0.0 \ Lenowo 20L60036MX Bios 1.47
Memory G.Skill Flare X5 2x16GB DDR5 6000MHZ CL36-36-36-96 AMD EXPO \ Willk Elektronik 2x16GB 2666MHZ CL17
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX™ 4070 Dual OC GPU: 2325-2355 MEM: 1462| Nvidia GeForce MX™ 150 2GB GDDR5 Micron
Storage Gigabyte M30 1TB|Sabrent Rocket 2TB| HDD: 10TB|1TB \ SKHynix 256GB 2242 3x2 | WD SN700 1TB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 27GP850-B 1440p@165Hz | LG 48CX OLED 4K HDR | AUO 14" 1440p IPS
Benchmark Scores 3DMARK: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/89434432? GPU-Z: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/details/v3zbr
why even install 8 when the key works for 8.1?

with 8.1 you have less updates and no "Service Pack" to install o_O

Processor Intel® Celeron® Processor G1101
Motherboard Supermicro® MBD-C7SIM-Q-B
Memory 8 GB Silicon Power SP004GBLTU133N02/W02
Video Card(s) Sapphire FirePro™ 2270 + AMD Radeon™ HD 8740
Storage 1000 GB Toshiba P300 HDWD110UZSVA
Display(s) 29" LG 29UM57-P
Case Chieftec LBX-02B-U3
Power Supply 650W XFX XXX Edition (P1-650X-XXB9)
Software Windows Server 2016
I'm sorry, but how is OP supposed to obtain a Windows 8.1 copy if his OEM doesn't provide one? Anything beside performing a recovery from original image (and then updating it to Windows 8.1) will leave him with an illegal Windows product.

Please wait a little bit, I'll try to write a full workaround.

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
why even install 8 when the key works for 8.1?

with 8.1 you have less updates and no "Service Pack" to install o_O

He has a recovery partition with windows 8 on it, same as my laptop

I'm sorry, but how is OP supposed to obtain a Windows 8.1 copy if his OEM doesn't provide one? Anything beside performing a recovery from original image (and then updating it to Windows 8.1) will leave him with an illegal Windows product.

Please wait a little bit, I'll try to write a full workaround.

Thank you. EXACTLY... I do NOT have 8.1, I have 8. Thanks for pointing this out to the other poster. I have no idea what he was thinking.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
I have no idea what he was thinking.

He was thinking most people would just burn a Windows 8.1 DVD and reinstall that way instead, as it is a painless and clean way to install Windows 8 without having to download a million updates. Your BIOS has the license in it, and will activate your Windows automatically, thus keeping you legal.

I tend to avoid using recovery partitions, as they tend to come with a slightly customised windows, which is not always good. Better to boot'n'nuke the thing, kill all the partitions and run a bootmngr disk clean and reformat with a shiny new GPT partition, then install a totally unadulterated fresh version of Win 8.1.

Also, when updates fail to install, it is usually related to something that has been installed with windows that is preventing the updates. I warrant a nice clean version of Windows, not a vile amalgamation of HP's recovery partition of Windows, will not have these issues.

It's worth noting Win 8 recently started having beef with Intel HD graphics drivers for some reason. Try an advanced startup with boot logging and seem if something is amiss.

He was thinking most people would just burn a Windows 8.1 DVD and reinstall that way instead, as it is a painless and clean way to install Windows 8 without having to download a million updates. Your BIOS has the license in it, and will activate your Windows automatically, thus keeping you legal.

I tend to avoid using recovery partitions, as they tend to come with a slightly customised windows, which is not always good. Better to boot'n'nuke the thing, kill all the partitions and run a bootmngr disk clean and reformat with a shiny new GPT partition, then install a totally unadulterated fresh version of Win 8.1.

Also, when updates fail to install, it is usually related to something that has been installed with windows that is preventing the updates. I warrant a nice clean version of Windows, not a vile amalgamation of HP's recovery partition of Windows, will not have these issues.

It's worth noting Win 8 recently started having beef with Intel HD graphics drivers for some reason. Try an advanced startup with boot logging and seem if something is amiss.

Where's the link for this official MS Win8.1 to download and burn? The one I installed is a "Minimized Image"... just the basics, drivers, etc and no antivirus which normally comes preinstalled as I'm sure you know. I am seeing a ton of people having the same issue as I am and some have been able to get it fixed, but more haven't. It's a MS issue, not a PC manufacturers issue. Read post #14 here... http://www.eightforums.com/windows-...ring-windows-updates-reverting-changes-2.html

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Where's the link for this official MS Win8.1 to download and burn? The one I installed is a "Minimized Image"... just the basics, drivers, etc and no antivirus which normally comes preinstalled as I'm sure you know. I am seeing a ton of people having the same issue as I am and some have been able to get it fixed, but more haven't. It's a MS issue, not a PC manufacturers issue. Read post #14 here... http://www.eightforums.com/windows-...ring-windows-updates-reverting-changes-2.html

Have you followed their advice? Install one update at a time and reboot after each one. It's a long process, but if that's the solution, and you want a working laptop, I see no other option.

As for a windows 8.1 iso, it's easy. I literally did this 2 weeks ago to my PC.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

EDIT: Also, if you go direct to HP, they actually tell you to go into the BIOS, disabled "Secure boot" run the updates and reboot, and then turn "Secure boot" back on. Have you done as HP suggested?

Have you followed their advice? Install one update at a time and reboot after each one. It's a long process, but if that's the solution, and you want a working laptop, I see no other option.

As for a windows 8.1 iso, it's easy. I literally did this 2 weeks ago to my PC.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

EDIT: Also, if you go direct to HP, they actually tell you to go into the BIOS, disabled "Secure boot" run the updates and reboot, and then turn "Secure boot" back on. Have you done as HP suggested?

Thanks. I was under the impression that 8.1 was only available for download via the MS Store and that you needed all updates installed for version 8 before you could even download 8.1 from the store. Downloading updates 1 by one is insane and what if that doesn't work? The situation is happening to many people. Yes I have already disabled secure boot.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Thanks. I was under the impression that 8.1 was only available for download via the MS Store and that you needed all updates installed for version 8 before you could even download 8.1 from the store. Downloading updates 1 by one is insane and what if that doesn't work? The situation is happening to many people. Yes I have already disabled secure boot.

You'll need to know your license key (googling this will give you options on how to extract your license key from BIOS) before it lets you download the image.

**********​

Norton AV is also a cause, could be part of the restore process if it comes with a 30 day trial version of Norton. If not, there is another thread from MS to resolve the issue assuming none of my other options help you
***********​
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...8024a000/562845f3-78d5-42a0-bed5-e3fd39f01df7

General Windows Update Troubleshooting

The following outlines how to stop services pertaining to Windows Update, rename system folders, register related DLL files, and then restart the previously mentioned services. This troubleshooting generally applies to all Windows Update related issues.

Stopping services pertaining to Windows Update

1.Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator.

2.If you receive a notification from User Account Control simply click Continue.

3.At the command prompt, type the following, commands and then press ENTER after each command.

net stop wuauserv
net stop bits

net stop cryptsvc

4.Please do not close the Command Prompt window.

Renaming folders pertaining to Windows Update

1.At the command prompt, type the following commands, and then press Enter after each command:

2.ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 Catroot2.old

3.ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

Registering DLL’s pertaining to Windows Update

1.Please copy and paste the following text into a new Notepad document, and save the file asWindowsUpdate.BAT

2.If saved correctly the icon will change from a Notepad file to BAT file which has two blue cogs as its icon.

-or-

3.You can manually type each command at the command prompt:

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\vbscript.dll /s

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\mshtml.dll /s

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\msjava.dll /s

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\jscript.dll /s

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\msxml.dll /s

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\actxprxy.dll /s

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\shdocvw.dll /s

regsvr32 wuapi.dll /s

regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll /s

regsvr32 wuaueng.dll /s

regsvr32 wucltui.dll /s

regsvr32 wups2.dll /s

regsvr32 wups.dll /s

regsvr32 wuweb.dll /s

regsvr32 Softpub.dll /s

regsvr32 Mssip32.dll /s

regsvr32 Initpki.dll /s

regsvr32 softpub.dll /s

regsvr32 wintrust.dll /s

regsvr32 initpki.dll /s

regsvr32 dssenh.dll /s

regsvr32 rsaenh.dll /s

regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll /s

regsvr32 sccbase.dll /s

regsvr32 slbcsp.dll /s

regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll /s

regsvr32 Urlmon.dll /s

regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll /s

regsvr32 Msjava.dll /s

regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll /s

regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll /s

regsvr32 Mshtml.dll /s

regsvr32 msxml.dll /s

regsvr32 msxml2.dll /s

regsvr32 msxml3.dll /s

regsvr32 Browseui.dll /s

regsvr32 shell32.dll /s

regsvr32 wuapi.dll /s

regsvr32 wuaueng.dll /s

regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll /s

regsvr32 wucltui.dll /s

regsvr32 wups.dll /s

regsvr32 wuweb.dll /s

regsvr32 jscript.dll /s

regsvr32 atl.dll /s

regsvr32 Mssip32.dll /s

Restarting services pertaining to Windows Update

1.Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator.

2.If you receive a notification from User Account Control simply click Continue.

3.At the command prompt, type the following, commands and then press ENTER after each command.

net start wuauserv
net start bits

net start cryptsvc

exit

4.Now please check for updates using Windows Update to see if the issue has been resolved.

You'll need to know your license key (googling this will give you options on how to extract your license key from BIOS) before it lets you download the image.

**********​

Norton AV is also a cause, could be part of the restore process if it comes with a 30 day trial version of Norton. If not, there is another thread from MS to resolve the issue assuming none of my other options help you
***********​
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...8024a000/562845f3-78d5-42a0-bed5-e3fd39f01df7

General Windows Update Troubleshooting

The following outlines how to stop services pertaining to Windows Update, rename system folders, register related DLL files, and then restart the previously mentioned services. This troubleshooting generally applies to all Windows Update related issues.

Stopping services pertaining to Windows Update

net stop wuauserv
net stop bits

net stop cryptsvc

Renaming folders pertaining to Windows Update

1.At the command prompt, type the following commands, and then press Enter after each command:

2.ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 Catroot2.old

3.ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

Registering DLL’s pertaining to Windows Update

1.Please copy and paste the following text into a new Notepad document, and save the file asWindowsUpdate.BAT

2.If saved correctly the icon will change from a Notepad file to BAT file which has two blue cogs as its icon.

-or-

3.You can manually type each command at the command prompt:

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\vbscript.dll /s

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\mshtml.dll /s

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\msjava.dll /s

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\jscript.dll /s

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\msxml.dll /s

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\actxprxy.dll /s

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\shdocvw.dll /s

regsvr32 wuapi.dll /s

regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll /s

regsvr32 wuaueng.dll /s

regsvr32 wucltui.dll /s

regsvr32 wups2.dll /s

regsvr32 wups.dll /s

regsvr32 wuweb.dll /s

regsvr32 Softpub.dll /s

regsvr32 Mssip32.dll /s

regsvr32 Initpki.dll /s

regsvr32 softpub.dll /s

regsvr32 wintrust.dll /s

regsvr32 initpki.dll /s

regsvr32 dssenh.dll /s

regsvr32 rsaenh.dll /s

regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll /s

regsvr32 sccbase.dll /s

regsvr32 slbcsp.dll /s

regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll /s

regsvr32 Urlmon.dll /s

regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll /s

regsvr32 Msjava.dll /s

regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll /s

regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll /s

regsvr32 Mshtml.dll /s

regsvr32 msxml.dll /s

regsvr32 msxml2.dll /s

regsvr32 msxml3.dll /s

regsvr32 Browseui.dll /s

regsvr32 shell32.dll /s

regsvr32 wuapi.dll /s

regsvr32 wuaueng.dll /s

regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll /s

regsvr32 wucltui.dll /s

regsvr32 wups.dll /s

regsvr32 wuweb.dll /s

regsvr32 jscript.dll /s

regsvr32 atl.dll /s

regsvr32 Mssip32.dll /s

Restarting services pertaining to Windows Update

net start wuauserv
net start bits

net start cryptsvc

exit

4.Now please check for updates using Windows Update to see if the issue has been resolved.

Thanks for all of that, I appreciate it. As I said I did a "Minimized Image"... just the basics, drivers, etc and no antivirus at all. This is all insane to have update issues like this.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Thanks for all of that, I appreciate it. As I said I did a

And suddenly he was killed by a sniper

This is all insane to have update issues like this.

Indeed it is, that's MS for you! Took me 2 hours to get Win 8.1 installing properly because it didn't like pre-existing MBR's. Simple formats didn't suffice, had to do a disk clean and partition through CMD during install.

Case Chieftec LBX-02B-U3
Your BIOS has the license in it, and will activate your Windows automatically, thus keeping you legal.
No, the license only applies to the Windows 8 OEM copy the original owner purchased with laptop, it doesn't magically transform into Windows 8.1 Retail one.

OK, so here's the commonly recommended steps that should help you with your problem.

Before you begin, I would recommend you to download both of these files and save them on your USB drive in order to use it later as the only source of third-party packages:
1. The first step would be to recover the original Windows installation using your hard drive partition (the thing that you've done before, I believe). Follow the steps described here (http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c03544793#N258) and see if you missed anything. By the end of this operation, make so that your HP product is not connected to any sort of network.

2. Configure your HP device to boot in "clean" mode as described here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135). Restart once.

3. Run the first file you've downloaded (http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp67001-67500/sp67259.exe) from your just-recovered Windows copy and follow the steps required.

4. Run the AMD package (http://www2.ati.com/drivers/amd-catalyst-14.4-64bit-win8.1-win8-win7-whql-aug.exe). Choose the "Advanced" installation option in order to be able to opt-out the "AMD/Raprt App" and "HydraVision" packages.

5. Establish an Internet connection. Run "Windows Store" tile from your Start screen, and select "Windows 8.1" package.

6. Once you're done with your migration from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, you can install all the critical updates offered by Windows Update, which would be driver software, then Windows 8.1 Update package (KB2919442 > KB2919355 > KB2932046 > KB2959977 > KB2937592 > KB2938439 > KB2934018), "August" Update (KB2993651 > KB2975719 > KB2993100 > KB2979582 > KB2990532 > KB2995004) and .NET Framework 4.5.2 (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42642).

I hope I am not counting my chickens before they hatch, BUT it looks like I found a way around getting all of the required updates for 8 before getting 8.1 from the MS Store. This solution... http://tinyurl.com/pkrln42

I did however have to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter before it would allow the 8.1 download from the store to begin. As of right now the download is proceeding. Now I just hope the crazy thing installs!

So to review I reformatted the computer via the restore partition using the "Minimized Image" option, turned off automatic updates, manually downloaded KB2871389 and KB2917499 and installed them, then ran the Windows Update Troubleshooter, and it then allowed me to start the 8.1 download from the Microsoft Store. I have my fingers crossed and hope it works. I have WAY too much time invested is this crazy situation. Microsoft is getting worse by the day.

No, the license only applies to the Windows 8 OEM copy the original owner purchased with laptop, it doesn't magically transform into Windows 8.1 Retail one.

OK, so here's the commonly recommended steps that should help you with your problem.

Before you begin, I would recommend you to download both of these files and save them on your USB drive in order to use it later as the only source of third-party packages:
1. The first step would be to recover the original Windows installation using your hard drive partition (the thing that you've done before, I believe). Follow the steps described here (http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c03544793#N258) and see if you missed anything. By the end of this operation, make so that your HP product is not connected to any sort of network.

2. Configure your HP device to boot in "clean" mode as described here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135). Restart once.

3. Run the first file you've downloaded (http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp67001-67500/sp67259.exe) from your just-recovered Windows copy and follow the steps required.

4. Run the AMD package (http://www2.ati.com/drivers/amd-catalyst-14.4-64bit-win8.1-win8-win7-whql-aug.exe). Choose the "Advanced" installation option in order to be able to opt-out the "AMD/Raprt App" and "HydraVision" packages.

5. Establish an Internet connection. Run "Windows Store" tile from your Start screen, and select "Windows 8.1" package.

6. Once you're done with your migration from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, you can install all the critical updates offered by Windows Update, which would be driver software, then Windows 8.1 Update package (KB2919442 > KB2919355 > KB2932046 > KB2959977 > KB2937592 > KB2938439 > KB2934018), "August" Update (KB2993651 > KB2975719 > KB2993100 > KB2979582 > KB2990532 > KB2995004) and .NET Framework 4.5.2 (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42642).

I can't thank you enough. I appreciate the time you and others have spent on this. Hmm so my license for 8 would not work for the 8.1 download that I was directed to? I would have wasted time with that? I am still on XP and Win7 machines at the moment and can't stand 8 so I don't mess with 8 machines very often and thus am ignorant to most of it.. At this time I am doing what my previous post has stated and I am going to see if that works. So far it is working which is a shock to me. If it doesn't work out I am going to try your suggestions. I am very thankful for the time you put in helping me. I will report back and let you all know how this turns out.

Well 8.1 just got done installing successfully! Unbelievable! Now to try and get the updates for that. The way things have gone I'm worried about those screwing up. I've been up since yesterday doing this. :(

Well 8.1 just got done installing successfully! Unbelievable! Now to try and get the updates for that. The way things have gone I'm worried about those screwing up. I've been up since yesterday doing this. :(

I have only been having trouble with Lenovo's version there the Update was kinda broken, but after running the build-in troubleshooter it worked fine afterwards ^^

a little tip i think you know is using drivers from the manufacturer of the chipset, gfx and so on not HP's driver ofc, for the HP components it's required.

I have only been having trouble with Lenovo's version there the Update was kinda broken, but after running the build-in troubleshooter it worked fine afterwards ^^

a little tip i think you know is using drivers from the manufacturer of the chipset, gfx and so on not HP's driver ofc, for the HP components it's required.

Required? Since when? Why would Dell, HP, etc. have graphic card drivers and other drivers on their sites then? The advice you are giving is counter to everything I've read and been told over the years. In fact some manufacture installs have aborted or given messages to go to Dell, HP, etc, because the driver is NOT the recommended one for the hardware. Some of these things are made differently for Dell, HP, etc. No offense, but I am scratching my head at this post and your previous ones in this thread.

Case Chieftec LBX-02B-U3

There are no "special" HP devices present in his Series 2000 laptop, just a single virtual ACPI button. In case with "clean" Windows installations, avoiding the required piece of software for it (which is called "HP Wireless Button") won't cause any troubles, except for the fact that switching Flight Mode on/off using Fn key combo won't work (you can still do it using a toggle switch in "Networks" charm). Windows will try and install it automatically during Maintenance hours though.

Required? Since when? Why would Dell, HP, etc. have graphic card drivers and other drivers on their sites then? The advice you are giving is counter to everything I've read and been told over the years. In fact some manufacture installs have aborted or given messages to go to Dell, HP, etc, because the driver is NOT the recommended one for the hardware. Some of these things are made differently for Dell, HP, etc. No offense, but I am scratching my head at this post and your previous ones in this thread.
In your case, you have a silicon entirely designed by AMD, with the exception for firmware (such as under-the-hood UEFI settings, including VBIOS and such), and it really includes everything (CPU, chipset, and GPU) on one "mount", sort of thing. And so I (personally) would go for the newest original AMD software package, because you've got the best possible case in terms of compatibility. On the other hand, If you had discrete GPU (like I do), installing OEM's package would be your one and only option. So you were told the right thing, OEM software is different and sometimes bears a lot of customizations in it. But E2-1800 as an APU is always "AMD's" authentic E2-1800, while, let's say, Radeon R5 M240 might be pretty much anything, like Sun XT silicon or a Mars XTX chip. Now these are different, and the Mars edition of this R5 M240 might not even be mentioned in "generic" AMD Catalyst.

Last edited:
There are no "special" HP devices present in his Series 2000 laptop, just a single virtual ACPI button. In case with "clean" Windows installations, avoiding the required piece of software for it (which is called "HP Wireless Button") won't cause any troubles, except for the fact that switching Flight Mode on/off using Fn key combo won't work (you can still do it using a toggle switch in "Networks" charm). Windows will try and install it automatically during Maintenance hours though.

In your case, you have a silicon entirely designed by AMD, with the exception for firmware (such as under-the-hood UEFI settings, including VBIOS and such), and it really includes everything (CPU, chipset, and GPU) on one "mount", sort of thing. And so I (personally) would go for the newest original AMD software package, because you've got the best possible case in terms of compatibility. On the other hand, If you had discrete GPU (like I do), installing OEM's package would be your one and only option. So you were told the right thing, but E2-1800 is always "AMD's" authentic E2-1800, while Radeon R5 M240 might be pretty much anything, like Sun XT silicon with 2 GB GDDR5 and LVDS output or a Mars XTX chip built to support 3K display via eDP interface.

Sounds like you know your stuff lol. I did do a Bios update for it yesterday that I grabbed from the HP site. I don't recall seeing anything from AMD there for the chipset. So you think I should go directly to AMD's site and get something newer? You seem to know my model well and I would appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. Thanks again! BTW, 8.1 and all updates for it are now completed!

Case Chieftec LBX-02B-U3
There are two packages that you need to install in order to kind of hook up all the AMD devices present in your system.

Note: I assume that you've already successfully upgraded to Windows 8.1.

First, get the latest AMD Chipset Drivers package, it's right here (http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=Windows 8.1 - 64).

Next, go grab the latest AMD Catalyst package for Mobile APUs equipped products (that would be 14.9). Here's the link (http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/mobile?os=Windows 8.1 - 64). This will do the rest of the job.

Last edited:
There are two packages that you need to install in order to kind of hook up all the AMD devices present in your system.

Note: I assume that you've already successfully upgraded to Windows 8.1.

First, get the latest AMD Chipset Drivers package, it's right here (http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=Windows 8.1 - 64).

Next, go grab the latest AMD Catalyst package for Mobile APUs equipped products (that would be 14.9). Here's the link (http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/mobile?os=Windows 8.1 - 64). This will do the rest of the job.

Yes I was successful in upgrading to 8.1 and was able to get all of the updates for it. I then allowed the HP software assistant to download various drivers and software updates that it said the laptop needed. I did get the Catalyst package the other day, but it was from the link in my previous post. What's the difference between my link in the previous post and the link you gave me to the Catalyst package? One says Desktop and the other Mobile, but they seem to be the same exact download... same version, file size, etc. From your post it looks like I should also get the Chipset package. Thanks again, you have been extremely helpful!!!

Last edited: