• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help with tablet search, please.

System Name My rig
Processor i7 3770k 3.5
Motherboard Gigabyte UD4H
Cooling Cooler Master Seidon 120M Push/Pull
Memory 8GB G.SKILL Ares Series (2 x 4GB) 1866 Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX780 GDDR5-3GB 2xDVI/HDMI/DP OC Graphics Card - GV-N780GHZ-3GD
Storage Corsair Neutron 256 GB SSD/Western Digital 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache
Display(s) ASUS 24" IPS 60Hz
Case Corsair Vengeance Series C70 Arctic White
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Corsair Professional Series AX 850 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Gold
Software Windows 8.1/Adobe Creative Cloud/Steam/Origin/UPlay
I am been looking and researching for over a month, searching for that perfect tablet for me. We have an iPad at home, but it is really my wife's and I do not care to use it, at all. Anyhow, I have been back and forth on what tablet to get. I did not know that once you start doing research the decision becomes more and more difficult.

I know that this is an Android forum, but to be honest I have been looking at Windows 8.1 tablets, as well. I think that I have narrowed it down to 3 tablets - 2 Androids and 1 Windows. They are: Samsung Tab Pro 10, Nvidia Shield Tablet and the Surface Pro 3 i3. They are all different sizes and specs, so this is where it becomes difficult for me to choose.

I am really digging the Nvidia Shield Tablet just because of the gaming features of it. I have a great gaming rig at home that is compatible with the Shield. However, if I am being honest with myself, I will not be doing that much gaming on it. I just think streaming my PC games to a tablet is pretty cool. It has an 8" screen @1920x1200.

The Samsung Tab Pro is at 2560 x 1600, 10" and has pretty much the same capabilities as the Nvidia, just a larger screen.

The Surface Pro 3 is at 2160 x 1440, 12", i3/4GB RAM/64GB SSD. It is a full Windows 8.1 tablet at your fingertips, which is really enticing. The screen is big and is good for doing the things that I would like to do. I can stream PC games onto this, too, as well as play some games locally (older games, anyway). Again, though, I don't know how often I would play games on it.

I will basically be using the tablet as a media consumption device, with perhaps some gaming. I guess some questions would be: Is the 8" on the Nvidia too small for movies and gaming? Are the 10"-12" tablets more suitable for media consumption? Is it worth the price increase between the 3 (from $400-Nvidia/$499 Samsung/$799 Surface Pro 3)? Are any of the screens/displays better than the others?

I am sure there are more concerns, but I am sure I rambled on too much already. Sorry for such a lengthy post.

Thank you in advance for all who can help me out on this matter.

System Name Old Fart / Young Dude
Processor 2500K / 6600K
Motherboard ASRock P67Extreme4 / Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3
Cooling CM Hyper TX3 / CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 16 GB Kingston HyperX / 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti / INNO3D RTX 2060
Storage SSD, some WD and lots of Samsungs
Display(s) BenQ GW2470 / LG UHD 43" TV
Case Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced / Thermaltake Core v31
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1/Denon PMA500AE/Wharfedale D 10.1/ FiiO D03K/ JBL LSR 305
Power Supply Corsair TX650 / Corsair TX650M
Mouse Steelseries Rival 100 / Rival 110
Keyboard Sidewinder/ Steelseries Apex 150
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 Pro
I'd say ditch the Sammy, Android is good as long it's "pure" and gets updated as soon as Google comes out with a new version. If you don't want to mess with rooting and stuff, Google's Nexus is the way to go. Check the new Nexus 9 though it's expensive right now (32GB). 9 inch is reasonable for media consumption and portability (but you'll need two hands to hold). Shield also runs "pure" Android, is powerful and has the Nvidia goodies for gaming. Whether you can actually do serious gaming (streaming PC games) on an 8 inch screen, I don't know, I have a Nexus 7 which is great for what I need it (no gaming and rarely movies since the screen is a bit small).

This brings us to Surface Pro. Windows runs circles around Android and iOS from any point of view except for app junkies and Angry Birds type of gamers. Using 8.1 with a touch device is great. Problem here is that Surface Pro is pretty expensive (you might find yourself needing more than the basic config such as more storage space and type cover) a little bit heavier, shorter battery life and due to the high res some desktop applications and maybe installed or streamed games will have small icons and controls. You need good eyes and the pen (which I thing is included). 12 inch is a great form factor for media if you already have to hold the device with two hands.

System Name My rig
Processor i7 3770k 3.5
Motherboard Gigabyte UD4H
Cooling Cooler Master Seidon 120M Push/Pull
Memory 8GB G.SKILL Ares Series (2 x 4GB) 1866 Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX780 GDDR5-3GB 2xDVI/HDMI/DP OC Graphics Card - GV-N780GHZ-3GD
Storage Corsair Neutron 256 GB SSD/Western Digital 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache
Display(s) ASUS 24" IPS 60Hz
Case Corsair Vengeance Series C70 Arctic White
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Corsair Professional Series AX 850 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Gold
Software Windows 8.1/Adobe Creative Cloud/Steam/Origin/UPlay
I'd say ditch the Sammy, Android is good as long it's "pure" and gets updated as soon as Google comes out with a new version. If you don't want to mess with rooting and stuff, Google's Nexus is the way to go. Check the new Nexus 9 though it's expensive right now (32GB). 9 inch is reasonable for media consumption and portability (but you'll need two hands to hold). Shield also runs "pure" Android, is powerful and has the Nvidia goodies for gaming. Whether you can actually do serious gaming (streaming PC games) on an 8 inch screen, I don't know, I have a Nexus 7 which is great for what I need it (no gaming and rarely movies since the screen is a bit small).

This brings us to Surface Pro. Windows runs circles around Android and iOS from any point of view except for app junkies and Angry Birds type of gamers. Using 8.1 with a touch device is great. Problem here is that Surface Pro is pretty expensive (you might find yourself needing more than the basic config such as more storage space and type cover) a little bit heavier, shorter battery life and due to the high res some desktop applications and maybe installed or streamed games will have small icons and controls. You need good eyes and the pen (which I thing is included). 12 inch is a great form factor for media if you already have to hold the device with two hands.

I am actually typing on the SP3 right now. I went with thru i5 4GB model. I just plan on using it as a tablet right now. I probably could've gotten away with the i3 model, though. I really like having Windows 8.1 at my fingertips. It gets a little warm, but it does have an i5 under the hood.

I loaded up Medieval II Total War and thru SP3 handled it well. It got really hot, but I sort of expected that to happen. The display on this thing is really nice and very responsive. The pen tool is pretty neat, too.

Overall, I am happy with it. This is weird, though: I don't know if I should keep it or get the i3 or the i5/8GB one lol. I initially though it would be too big for a tablet, but it is not too bad.