• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

2080Ti stuck on 300Mhz Core Clock under load

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Nvidia cards are known for this issue, it started happening ever since Kepler after they added heinous power sensing circuits and monitoring, basically for whatever reason the card senses that it's drawing too much power and throttles itself into the ground. There used to be a way to fix it but I don't think it works anymore, here you can try it : https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...gpu-with-high-power-tdp-on-idle.223300/page-2

Another potential fix would be to try a shunt mod but probably it will do nothing.

zeohi

bit of an odd follow up since we're nearly half a year later, but i tried plugging the card back in and everything worked fine.... for a month or 2. but now it's back to stuck at 300mhz. can anyone give me any possible reason as to why sitting in a box for 6 months made the card work as normal for a little while longer?

Processor 5800x3D
Motherboard x570 Extreme 4
Cooling Deepcool AK620 Digital
Memory 2x16 Crucial 3200 Mhz
Video Card(s) 4070 SUPER FE
Storage 500 GB WD SN750 / 870 Evo 500 GB / Kingston 480 GB SSD
Display(s) Alienware 34 aw3418dw / ROG Swift pg27q
Case Corsair 3000D
Power Supply Seasonic V3 1000w
Mouse Model O
Keyboard GMMK Pro w/ SP Magic Girls
Software WIndows 10 Pro
bit of an odd follow up since we're nearly half a year later, but i tried plugging the card back in and everything worked fine.... for a month or 2. but now it's back to stuck at 300mhz. can anyone give me any possible reason as to why sitting in a box for 6 months made the card work as normal for a little while longer?
this sounds like a driver issue? I would try and roll back drivers until i found one that worked.

zeohi

this sounds like a driver issue? I would try and roll back drivers until i found one that worked.
ok i can try this, but between it wroking to not working i never updated graphics drivers or anything

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
some mining software can do this.. a clean driver install will fix it.. i have two machine running nicehash miner..i cant run anything 3D on them without doing a clean driver install first..

trog

This might be an easy fix or you need to send the card to someone who can repair this stuff (there's someone on Hardforum (the old HardOCP forums) who can do this, I think his name is Razorwind, as he's been helping some other people on the video card sections. If it's a damaged solder trace or BGA rework, you need to get someone to fix it for you. But if it's just a very dirty PCB or foreign component on the PCB, you may be able to fix it yourself.

Buy some 99% isopropyl alcohol. You're probably going to need about a gallon of it. Half a gallon "may" be enough.

Buy some replacement thermal pads. Unfortunately you're going to have to do some research on what thicknesses you need. If you can't find this information, you should buy some Arctic (6 w/mk) 0.5mm, 1.0mm and 1.5mm pads (145mm * 145mm), and then do some jigsaw experimenting and pressure testing with temporary single drop of toothpaste or single drop of mayonnaise (on the GPU core), UNPOWERED, to check for contact pressure and correct pad spacing. The toothpaste or mayo is to save wasting thermal paste unnecessarily until you determine exactly the pads you need.

Disassemble the card completely, and clean all thermal paste and remove all thermal pads from the card.

Douse the entire PCB in 99% alcohol. Leave it submerged for about 10 minutes.

Remove the PCB, let it air dry (do not use a hairdryer, isopropyl is flammable), then reapply new thermal pads and thermal paste, AFTER you determine the correct thickness of each section of thermal pad area.

If there isn't a defective soldering joint or chip or IC damage on the card, this should fix it.

Thermal pads are here but the price keeps changing literally every hour.

Thermal paste recommendations (Highly suggested):