• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Problem with Synology DS415+

Guys, I need some urgent help on a matter that seriously worries me. I Bought a DS415+ and I KNOW it HAS some network options, but I can't connect it by ethernet, and it's not even starting without it... It seems.

The HDDs are there, the AC Power is ON, it is powered and the Status light is blinking orange. Is there any way I can setup it without connecting it to the internet?

SuperSoph_WD

WD Rep
Hey there, @Sabaku_no_Maiku!

You'd need to set up IP addresses on your devices manually under the same subnet.
However, I don't think you would be able to connect it directly to your PC and access it because the NAS itself has its own OS.
You'd need a network connection in order to access it and set it up.
The LED is blinking orange most probably because you haven't installed it yet. I'd check if the HDDs are put properly inside again just in case.
And I'd suggest to go through the manual & user's guide again and follow the instructions step-by-step.

Good luck and Happy Holidays! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Since I CAN'T connect it to the internet, I'm buying a Gigabit Switch: http://www.amazon.it/Netgear-GS108G...d=1419432113&sr=8-1&keywords=switch a gigabit
What do you mean you can't "connect it to the internet"? Is your modem plugged directly into your PC? In that case you should buy a router and plug the modem into that and the PC and NAS into the router.

Could you describe in detail how everything is setup and what everything is plugged into? I feel like there enough gaps of information where I can't really figure out what's going on from what's been said.

Also, without DHCP, a switch will do you little good as you will still have the same problem.

SuperSoph_WD

WD Rep
You'd still need network connection, it won't work unless you have the router connected to the switch as well.
What do you mean you can't connect to the Internet? Please be more specific and provide us with more details about your setup.
[Edit] was typing while @Aquinus responded.

Merry Christmas! :)