• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Looking for burn-in HDD tool that can run in a background

I am planning to buy two new HDDs which I will use for cold storage and I want to test them first to check for their faultiness. Program must be able to run in the background (icon in system tray) so it will not distract me from my regular work and has to have an option to run indefinetly until I stop it.

Operating system: Windows 7

Thank you!

Last edited:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
um, I'm not sure I would do that at all. Other than a complete block check and scan of the drive, and then a check of SMART values, nothing else is necessary.

The reason is because the mechanical parts have a finite lifespan as it is. I see no reason to hasten the demise of your HDD.

@rtwjunkie

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/how-long-do-disk-drives-last/

I think it is important to rule out infant mortality failure because I will be using it for cold storage and do not want it to fail very soon, I mean I need to be sure this drive is fine because I will not be using it as main drive and this is the only way to know if it will fail because of infant mortality.

Last edited:
I went with BurnInTest from Passmark, it cannot run in the background (system tray) but it gets the job done. I am going to test 1TB per day which means 3TB disk will test 3 days at 100% load. I will be testing it because I will be using it for cold storage and want to check it because you do not use cold storage every day.

Last edited: