• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

8.1 tablet sound issue - background only, no voices intermittent loss of center channel?

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
Had a Venue 11 Pro with Windows 8.1 for several months now. At first I noticed no signs of issues with the audio, then I had a problem that I've been able to temporarily fix, but not find the source/properly resolve.

Symptoms : I can only hear the background music or effects, but no voices - as if the center channel has been lost.

Conditions : I recently started mirroring the tablet display onto a television with the Netgear Push2TV3000. And in doing so, the audio is set to the television instead of the tablet. Usually the devices figure out which source to use for audio on their own, however occasionally I have to tell the tablet to use the television.

Observations : I've been unable to confirm that using the Push2TV3000 and subsequently putting the audio temporarily to the television cause some type of issue, when you are done with the television and want to use the tablet normally. Since I still get audio either way, it suggests to me that the tv mirroring may not be related. Having said that, the issue only started after purchasing and using the Push device.

My Windows playback devices has listed 'speakers' and 'headphones.' Speakers is the default communications device and what is used when everything is working. I have never had the 'headphones' shown as working, whether I have them plugged in or not. They just use the speaker device.

Things tried to solve it :
Google/forum results suggest it's down to a faulty pin or a grounding issue in the jack.

• Pulling the 3.5mm plug out slightly - does not help
  • Offsetting the speaker balance in Windows e.g. left speaker 0, right speaker 2 - this does restore the sound

Only known fix at the moment: For the several times that it's happened, a full shutdown from Windows and reboot solves it. However one time it did not solve it and I spent hours trying all manners of configurations in Windows, various video programs and disabling/enabling the aforementioned 'headphones' device in playback configuration. And despite that, eventually another shutdown worked.

I appreciate it doesn't happen all the time, however because the shutdown method is not 100%, it makes me uneasy when I give the tablet to family to take say on a train, only for them to come home and say they couldn't watch any thing because the sound was messed up.