• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Einstein's Theory of General Relativity

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Memory 6 gb Ballistix Tracer
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Audio Device(s) seperate amp and 6 big speakers
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Keyboard under going restoration
Loved this bit from the 2nd link

The four gyroscopes in GP-B are the most perfect spheres ever made by humans. These ping pong-sized balls of fused quartz and silicon are 1.5 inches across and never vary from a perfect sphere by more than 40 atomic layers. If the gyroscopes weren't so spherical, their spin axes would wobble even without the effects of relativity.

If we couldnt create perfect spheres we couldnt conduct experiments like those in GP-B.
Heres a quick vid on a very round thing, if you just want to know how, start at 08.00, its worth watching from the start though.

Gravity Visualized

@Frick
EDIT I saw a documentary on TV ages ago, unbelievably the most perfect spheres are created by one man, by touch, Incredible....i will find the vid and put it here if i can find it.

heres some New Scientist stuff
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn14229-roundest-objects-in-the-world-created.html#.VONhrPmsWSo

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Were they made in space?

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
They had no idea that space-time can be warped. Ideas of the curvature of spacetime stem from relativity theory.

And let's face it even now none of us can imagine curved space. We can imagine a curved line, a curved surface but not curved 3D space.

I can understand maths describing 4D or even higher dimensions and even Riemannian geometry but I'm unable to visualize it in my brain because our brains work like if our world was Euclidian but our world isn't Euclidian. It's curved and warped, it's Riemannian. We always simplify everything and pretend that our world is simple 3D Euclidian space lol but it's not.

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Spaced Out Lunar Tick
System Name Party On
Processor Xeon w 3520
Motherboard DFI Lanparty
Cooling Big tower thing
Video Card(s) HD 7970
Case a plank of wood
Power Supply Corsair
Mouse cheap
Melon...........twisted.........again !

thanks a bunch @Drone :toast: :)

Europe's 5th and 6th Galileo satellites - subject to complex salvage maneuvers following their launch last year into incorrect orbits - will help to perform an ambitious year-long test of Einstein's most famous theory.

The satellites' orbits remain elliptical, with each satellite climbing and falling some 8500 km twice per day. It is those regular shifts in height, and therefore gravity levels, that are valuable to researchers.

Albert Einstein predicted a century ago that time would pass more slowly close to a massive object. It has been verified experimentally, most significantly in 1976 when a hydrogen maser atomic clock on Gravity Probe A was launched 10 000 km into space, confirming the prediction to within 140 parts in a million.

This new effort takes advantage of the passive hydrogen maser atomic clock aboard each Galileo, the elongated orbits creating varying time dilation, and the continuous monitoring thanks to the global network of ground stations. The results are expected in about one year, projected to quadruple the accuracy on the Gravity Probe A results.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Good to see that they may get some useful unexpected science from those cocked up satellite orbital placements

Fundamental Ideas and Problems of the Theory of Relativity

Lecture delivered to the Nordic Assembly of Naturalists at Gothenburg, July 11, 1923

Download pdf:

English
German

Albert Einstein - Leiden Lecture, 1920

Read here

Processor FX6350@4.2ghz-i54670k@4ghz
Video Card(s) HD7850-R9290
this wouldnt be right without the opinion of one the worlds most brilliant physicists
joe and brian got me :roll:

Last edited:

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I picked up a book written by Einstein on Relativity that was intended to help people get a grasp of this subject that aren't physicists and I was lost pretty quickly. iirc this was the book

I picked up a book written by Einstein on Relativity that was intended to help people get a grasp of this subject that aren't physicists and I was lost pretty quickly. iirc this was the book

Even physicists struggle with it. Einstein was way ahead of his time. Relativity is so revolutionary even 100 years later. Btw that's a really good book.

Understanding relativity without knowing physics/maths/geometry is simply impossible. All those asap pseudo-science videos won't really help.

pseudo? einstein while a great thinker is not on the level of brian cox.. like seriously the crap you have said so far... ego.
there is a reason why he is the science face for pbs. tho you may not even know anything about pbs being a government institution for public education. He could take that einstein book cut out the nonsense and that would be the only way I would read it.
sorry you cant visualize anything but thats YOUR brain.. not humans.
you should be careful about slandering cern geniuses especially while your saying half your brain is broken and not presenting any actual point.. let alone expanding on it.
your ego will now probably tell you that I am wrong and brian cox could never measure up to einstein but its wrong.. why? information!! lets say you wanted to create your own race but you realize to do so you need a planet first and to tera form it.. well its going to take a life time to just figure out step one.

pseudo? einstein while a great thinker is not on the level of brian cox.. like seriously the crap you have said so far... ego.
there is a reason why he is the science face for pbs. tho you may not even know anything about pbs being a government institution for public education. He could take that einstein book cut out the nonsense and that would be the only way I would read it.
sorry you cant visualize anything but thats YOUR brain.. not humans.
you should be careful about slandering cern geniuses especially while your saying half your brain is broken and not presenting any actual point.. let alone expanding on it.
your ego will now probably tell you that I am wrong and brian cox could never measure up to einstein but its wrong.. why? information!! lets say you wanted to create your own race but you realize to do so you need a planet first and to tera form it.. well its going to take a life time to just figure out step one.
First: I wasn't talking about Cox because I didn't even watch those videos, I was talking about bullshit youtube videos like general relativity in 30 seconds or something. Second, what's with those personal attacks? Who the hell are you to tell me what I know and what I don't. Telling that Einstein's book is full of nonsense already shows that you're the biggest retard ever.

maybe you did and maybe you didnt but if you followed modern physics you would know some discussion from 1920 would mostly be useless.. explaining theory that has been disproven or trying to sell what is known as fact today.
i say half of it is nonsense but i am not as humble about it as todays physicists that would explain it like i did in my last sentence that you apparently ignored just like the visual representation of what you named the thread.

maybe you did and maybe you didnt but if you followed modern physics you would know some discussion from 1920 would mostly be useless.. explaining theory that has been disproven or trying to sell what is known as fact today.
i say half of it is nonsense but i am not as humble about it as todays physicists that would explain it like i did in my last sentence that you apparently ignored just like the visual representation of what you named the thread.

Einstein's theory of relativity is old and incomplete because neither Einstein himself nor anyone else had power to complete it.

But seriously you say that it's disproven? What the hell. Everyday there's a new manifestation of Relativity that's being proved. Just because it started in early 20th century doesn't mean it's not working today. All maths are still valid today. Hence, it doesn't matter what relativity book people read these days. All "modern" scientists/writers write the same books on Relativity just with more "modern" language and jargon. Nothing in relativity was disproven or reinvented. And if you don't like my threads just don't post here.

some of it is disproven just like some of it is a major thread of physics that holds it together.
i would have to disagree that it does not matter what modern science book is read.. some scientists cant even agree on the speed of light but brian will tell you exactly what he thinks it is with his experience at the lhc.

System Name Gaming System / HTPC-Server
Processor i7 8700K (@4.8 Ghz All-Core) / R7 5900X
Motherboard Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming / MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling CM ML360 / CM ML240L
Memory 16Gb Hynix @3200 MHz / 16Gb Hynix @3000Mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 / Colorful 1060
Storage 750G MX300 + 2x500G NVMe / 40Tb Reds + 1Tb WD Blue NVMe
Display(s) LG 27GN800-B 27'' 2K 144Hz / Sony TV
Case Xigmatek Aquarius Plus / Corsair Air 240
Audio Device(s) On Board Realtek
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750W / Andyson TX-700 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero / K400+
Keyboard Wooting Two / K400+
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15 = 1542 3D Mark Timespy = 9758
@xfia The only things Einstein was actually wrong about was the cosmological constant. Which, in fact, he was actually right about at first before dismissing the idea as his "Biggest blunder".

Drone is right about humans not being able to "visualize" much of Einstein's work. I agree that we can make visualizations of it, but any visual representation is surely flawed. You draw me a picture, or make me a model of space and time bending and say that that is an accurate representation. you might draw a 2D plane and represent it being warped into the 3rd dimension, but this is not accurate.

Things like this can be conceptualized, i.e. we can understand what is happening. Any attempt to think about what it would actually 'look like' is the path to insanity, because it would look normal, we can not actually 'see' the bending of space-time.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Spacetime from our perspective looks like a blur of everything that happened frozen in the discrete samples we measure for a reference in the ever moving 4th time dimension, and everything is relative to the observer, so a spaceman that left earth would see it move faster as they went faster, and their reality or perspective would never match those of others.

to say path to insanity would only make you seem to be a christian radical but i can agree to disagree on visual representation

Software Windows 10 x64
Spacetime from our perspective looks like a blur of everything that happened frozen in the discrete samples we measure for a reference in the ever moving 4th time dimension, and everything is relative to the observer, so a spaceman that left earth would see it move faster as they went faster, and their reality or perspective would never match those of others.

That is true, if you were able to actually 'see' what was happening. It's more the actual 'bending' of space time or what it would look like. As it is not really 'bending' or 'warping,' the best we can do is come up with analogies which only really model what is happening. The more you try to visualize these things, the more confusing it becomes. The majority of these concepts can only really be explained mathematically. It is not that some people are able to do it and others aren't, it is that we have visual concept of anything other than the 3-spacial dimensions and when trying to 'bend' those dimensions into a fourth spacial dimension, as human brains aren't able to perceive a 4th special dimension, it is impossible to visualize.

In a similar way, we can not visualize non-existence, i.e. what is beyond the 'edge' of the universe? The answer to this is not 'nothing' as nothingness is still existence. Go ahead, visualize non-existence. What do you see, describe it?

Edit - And I am a true believer in Pastafarianism. I can not believe that Zombie's are real.

Edit 2 - https://www.quora.com/Relativity-physics/If-matter-bends-spacetime-what-does-it-bend-in
There are some good descriptions about what is actually happening in this thread. They should allow you to 'conceptualize' it a little better.

Last edited:
Software Windows 10 x64
Read up on the history of the church (of the FSM) and it's purpose. It should become clear.

I am the sentience that rises from what is eternal.. I am a wave and a particle.. I exist here and there while being bound to the physical... I observe and worlds change..