• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Suggestions for Bloom brightness issue

System Name Brutus
Processor i5 4690k @4.7Ghz (Watercooled)
Motherboard z97 MSI Gaming 5
Cooling NZXT Kraken x61 AIO watercooler
Memory Gskill Ripjaws 8gb (2x4gb) 1600mhz 7-8-7-24
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming GTX 980ti x2 (sli)
Storage 1 SSD 64GB (OS) + 2x500GB WesternDigital RAID 0
Display(s) YAMAKASI Catleap q270 SE 27inch Glossy 2560x1440
Case NZXT Phantom
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DX
Power Supply Antec TPQ 1200w
Software Windows 7 (64 bit)
I noticed that recent titles making use of features that include bloom/hdr/hbao etc.

I've come across a few games lately where brightness seems to jump up or down depending where I'm looking.

For instance, in assassins creed unity on PC, I notice that even when I'm in a dark room, when I look up brightness cranks up quite a bit and goes down quite a bit too when I look down.

The transition doesn't feel natural although I do see the idea behind the technology.

What are your thoughts?

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
I'm pretty sure they're doing this because there's a difference between ambient (AO) lighting and the effect on your eyes of looking in the direction of a bright light source like chandeliers or high windows that bring in a lot of daylight. Also just being indoors and walking toward an open door that has bright daylight on the other side. It's to represent your eyes having to adjust to the difference in brightness.

These and many other effects (like blur) quite often do seem either overdone or poorly (abruptly) transitioned though. It could probably be lessened via disabling bloom via a file edit in some games, but Ubi games are damn near impossible to mod in such ways. The only way to deal with bloom in some games is to lower the Post FX. For instance with Far Cry 4's Post FX set to low, it severely lowers if not disables bloom.

Last edited by a moderator: