• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HTC Re Vive -- Valve backed Rift competitor

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/03/htc-partners-with-valve-for-virtual-reality-headset/

BARCELONA, Spain—Surprise! HTC just announced a partnership with Valve to make a virtual reality headset. The device is called the HTC Re Vive, and it combines HTC's hardware design with Valve's Steam VR technology.

The device looks unlike any other VR headset. It's covered in sensors—there are over 70—allowing for full 3D room tracking. HTC calls this a "Full Room Scale 360 Degree Solution with Tracked Controllers," though hopefully the final name is a little catchier. You can explore objects from all angles, and look up and down.

The Vive appears to be a standalone VR headset for a PC. We don't know many details about how it works, but HTC says it "features high-quality graphics, 90-frames-per-second video, and incredible audio fidelity." The headset uses two 1200×1080 displays, one for each eye, and the relatively high resolution should help cut down on the "screen door effect" you got with the original Oculus Rift developer kit. HTC will also be producing "wireless VR controllers" along with the headset, which will be sold in pairs and will be less complex than typical gamepads. The company said it was partnering with Google, HBO, and others to make content for the device

A Developer Edition will be availible in Spring, with a Consumer Edition coming "by the end of 2015." More information will be on HTCvr.com.

Seems like since Oculus has been dropping the ball with Rift and taking so long, HTC has stepped up and Valve has decided to back them. Hardware definitely seems more advanced than what OR currently offers, and the support by Valve means more developers would theoretically be supporting this device. I'm excited to see how it pans out.

Processor Intel Core i9 9900k @ 5.1GHZ all core load (8c 16t)
Motherboard MSI MEG Z390 ACE
Cooling Corsair H100i v2 240mm
Memory 32GB Corsair 3200mhz C16 (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX 6900 XT Red Devil Ultimate (XTXH) @ 2.6ghz core, 2.1ghz mem
Storage 256GB WD Black NVME drive, 4TB across various SSDs/NVMEs, 4TB HDD
Display(s) Asus 32" PG32QUX (4k 144hz mini-LED backlit IPS with freesync & gsync & 1400 nit HDR)
Case Corsair 760T
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed on powerplay mousemat
Keyboard Logitech G910
VR HMD Wireless Vive Pro & Valve knuckles
Software Windows 10 Pro
Lets not forget that Oculus got a lot of their ideas from Valve who gave them a lot of the R&D they had been working on for years (things like low persistence IIRC). If Valve approached HTC then they would have been able to share all of their VR tech giving HTC a significant boost.

Hopefully this competition will force Oculus to hurry up - I also hope that they can work together on a common API/driver model so that a consumer can play VR titles no matter what headset they buy (the easiest way to kill VR will be to have titles needing to choose which headset they support).

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
Lets not forget that Oculus got a lot of their ideas from Valve who gave them a lot of the R&D they had been working on for years (things like low persistence IIRC). If Valve approached HTC then they would have been able to share all of their VR tech giving HTC a significant boost.

Hopefully this competition will force Oculus to hurry up - I also hope that they can work together on a common API/driver model so that a consumer can play VR titles no matter what headset they buy (the easiest way to kill VR will be to have titles needing to choose which headset they support).

Actually, if more support was thrown into the open market I think it would be better. Look at the setup for the LG G3, 3D printed headset, and drop the phone in. Something like that could easily be designed to fit numerous different phones (easy source of higher res monitors for the size). Then it would just come down to a need for software. I'd like to see it go more that way.