• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EA Infects Battlefield: Hardline with ghastly new DRM. UPDATE: it's Origin DRM

Do you think this DRM is reasonable?

• Oh yes! We need more like this!!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not sure

• Other (explain)

• Total voters

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
That's the headline from Guru3D who are really pissed off with this. Update: it's actually Origin DRM. See SaltyFish's post below.

Looks like this game is gonna give a hard time to hardware reviewers and gamers who swap machines or even just graphics cards too many times.

The best bit of course, is that EA didn't bother to make this DRM clear before purchase, tsk. :slap: I may not have bought it had I known it was there although I don't change my hardware especially often, I object to it on principle. Obviously, EA knew it would depress sales if they came clean about it, so they didn't and now it's blown up in their faces. Idiots.
Here's what EAs DRM is doing these days, EA does not just verify the number of PCs you work on slash use, no Sir .. they monitor hardware changes inside your PC now, which I am sure is a privacy breach on many levels. So once we insert new hardware CPU / mobo / graphics cards or even a system firmware flash the hardware id # hash changes and if that happens a couple of times EA will render your game activation invalid. From what we now have learned, you get to have 5 hardware changes per license. Use them up and access to the game will be blocked for 24 hours per activation.

Guru3D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WCCFtech covered Guru3D's article and had this to say about it, which I fully agree with:

Origin page for Battlefield: Hardline doesn’t mention anything about this annoying digital rights management system. Many find this really besides the point, as one who legitimately pays hard-earned bucks for a game should be able to at least enjoy the freedom of playing it on any/multiple PCs. It is hard to see how this act will help EA make things easy for its fans, all it might do is annoy its PC consumer base.

This is a controversial and important subject, so please try not to get into flamewars or personal attacks against me or anyone else aka "don't give the mods anything to do".

Last edited:
System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
I guess I fail to understand the advantage of this DRM. For example Steam allows you to install to multiple PC's, but only one can be playing at a time on a game, unless you are in the offline mode, so I could play on my main rig, my laptop, an office computer, a friends computer to show them the game(s) and wherever else I want.

One could argue it prevents piracy in the same way that getting your car impounded for changing its tires or engine, or seats, or radio, or getting it painted would cause it to be impounded, which it doesn't result in at all, so normal life rules don't apply and the DRM is still shit.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
Nice one, Steevo. Yes, Steam's DRM works well this way, so why did EA have to go full retard? You can imagine the team meetings when they were putting together the game, with the people who didn't want this DRM facepalming and banging their heads against a wall as the pro group got their way, likely their managers.

This game already has only average reviews, so it really doesn't need a shitty DRM scandal to depress sales further.

Processor Intel Core 2 QX6850
Motherboard ABIT AB9 Pro
Cooling Zalman CNPS-9900 MAX-R
Memory Patriot PDC24G6400LLK (4x 2 GB)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Light Turbo
Storage Not Enough!
Display(s) Samsung T240HD
Case NZXT Zero
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Power Supply Thortech Thunderbolt Plus TTBPK00G 1000W
Mouse Elecom M-DUX70BK
Keyboard CM Storm Trigger (Cherry MX Brown)
Software NOT Windows 10
Here's an update.

Yesterday, reports emerged suggesting that Battlefield Hardline contained an activation limit. Guru3D was the source of the story, who, in benchmarking Battlefield Hardline's graphics and performance, encountered this error message:

Guru3D assumed this was a specific DRM check by Battlefield Hardline—likening it to the hard activation limits once imposed by Ubisoft in games like Anno 2070. (Or of previous EA games like Spore.)
In fact, the error is the result of an Origin-wide activation check. An EA spokesperson told PC Gamer that, "Origin authentication allows players to install a game on up to five different PCs every 24 hours."

"Players looking to benchmark more than five hardware configurations in one 24 hour period can contact our Customer Support team who can help," the spokesperson said.

Is that better or worse? On the one hand, if the Origin client is responding to graphics card changes, that's hardly the same as "five different PCs". On the other hand, is such an activation limit something an average PC user is going to be affected by? Probably not.

Source: http://www.pcgamer.com/battlefield-hardline-doesnt-have-an-activation-limit/

By the way, qubit, you seem to enjoy such news articles. Been on Ars Technica much lately? They've taken a heavy activist stance (to the detriment of their general credibility IMHO) and they're looking for folks in the UK.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Great update there, SF. I've now updated the thread title and my OP to reflect this.

I had wondered about this when I posted, but since this is a forum post and not a news article, I don't have to spend much time and effort to thoroughly fact check it, hehe. Amd yeah, controversial stories are the most interesting and grabby. Newspapers thrive on them after all.

I don't look at Ars all that much nowadays, but their hardcore stance sounds interesting and I may not necessarily agree with it. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

manofthem

WCG-TPU Team All-Star!
Processor 3900X @ 4.0
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E
Cooling DeepCool Castle 360EX
Memory G Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600
Video Card(s) RX 5700 XT Pulse
Storage Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB
Display(s) LG 34UC88
Case Thermaltake P3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard G Skill KM570 MX Silver
Software Windows 10 Pro
EA sauce is incredibly weak! This is a terrible limitation, and while I don't ever see myself being affected by it, I don't see any benefit to it or the reasoning on how it prevents piracy, as @Steevo said.

Plus, BF Hardline is a real winner