• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is my RAM bottlenecking me?

Processor Intel i7 4790K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK
Cooling LEPA AquaChanger 240
Memory G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked ACX 2.0
Storage Seagate St1000dx001
Case Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 850W ATX12V / EPS12V
Hello all!
I have GTA 5 and all my settings are pretty much maxed.
A very peculiar things happens. Whenever I have any other RAM hungry program(such as google Chrome) running in the background, my frame rates drop dramatically, and my frame-times shoot through the roof.

gta 5 better comparison.png

Even more peculiar is that, when Google Chrome is running my GPU isn't doing much work, despite the horrible performance, as if it is waiting on another component:
gta 5 chrome comparison.png

My Processor is an i7-4790K and overclocked to 4.8 Ghz.
GPU is GTX 980 with a slight overclock, +51 Mhz to Core clock and +607 Mhz on memory.

So what's going on here? The only thing I can think of is that my RAM is bottlenecking my system, but I have 2133 Mhz RAM.
Either that, or Google Chrome is somehow conflicting with GTA 5.

What do you guys think? The game is nearly unplayable with Chrome running, but is pretty silky without it.

EDIT:
RAM is G-Skill Ares, 2133 Mhz at 1.5v
Default timings are:
11-13-13-31
But I actually tightened them last night(more for fun than anything) to
10-12-12-30
(Passed 7 hours overnight of Memtest86+)

EDIT2: I have 2x8 GB sticks, and during the testing I was only using around 4 GB - 6 GB
EDIT3: Put a better Frame Time/ FPS Picture

Attachments

• gta 5 chrome comparison frame rates and times.png
    gta 5 chrome comparison frame rates and times.png
    38.5 KB · Views: 516
Last edited:
System Name Red Radiance l under construction
Processor 5800x
Motherboard x470 taichi
Cooling stock wrath
Memory TridentZ Neo rgb 3600mhz (2x8 kit)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64 nitro+
Storage 970 evo nvme
Display(s) lc27g75tq
Case tt core x5 tge
Audio Device(s) sennheiser's pc323d usb soundcard
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse roccat burst pro
Keyboard roccat ryos mk fx
Software windows 10
your processor cant benefit from faster then 1600mhz ram. this limitation comes from mem controller that intel have put in the cpu so your 2133mhz ram actually works as 1600mhz. this is more then enough for any game or every day application that run (or both, tree or any other number of apps you are running simultaneously except chrome obviously). i think your problem comes from some chemistry between gta5 and chrome that leads to performance drops you are experiencing or you have too many opened tabs in chrome.
try using opera instead of chrome. it is based on chromium but yet it has differences and if your pc is running fine with it then problems is in chrome.
if i were in your shoes i would report your finding (with all graphs and screenshots) in game support forum. there might be a bug in game that need devs attention.

ps in opera there is an option to not load background tabs till they are put to foreground. check for such option in chrome and try to run the things with it enabled

Processor AMD FX-8350 Black Edition
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth 990FX 1.01
Cooling Zalman 9900NT
Memory 16GB G Skill TridentX DDR3 2400 @2133 CL9-11-11-31 F3-2400C10-8GTX
Video Card(s) XFX Double D R9-390-TDFD 8GB 512-Bit GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850Pro 128GB, WD VelociRaptor 600GB, Seagate 7200.14 500GB
Display(s) HP LP2065 IPS x2
Case Coolermaster Elite RC-330 ATX
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Claro Plus
Power Supply Corsair TX850W V2 Single 70A Rail
Mouse Asus 0K100-00030200
Keyboard IBM KB-9930
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 1.21GW @88MPH
sounds like chrome is forcing the card into UVD mode

if you leave an accelerated video playing or on pause, and jump into a game, the clocks dont move. It hijacks all the clocks.

Last edited:
Processor Intel i7 4790K
Audio Device(s) Onboard
The only two tabs I had open were Facebook and my email, and I have AdBlockerPlus so I don't get any ads on either.

An interesting find though, if I alt tab out and back into the game SOMETIMES it will exhibit the same exact behavior, but I can alt tab once more and it fixes itself. However, with Chrome running it does not fix itself.
I think I'm just gonna have to accept that, whatever the issue is, it's beyond my scope to control.

Processor Intel i7 4790K
Audio Device(s) Onboard
your processor cant benefit from faster then 1600mhz ram. this limitation comes from mem controller that intel have put in the cpu so your 2133mhz ram actually works as 1600mhz. this is more then enough for any game or every day application that run (or both, tree or any other number of apps you are running simultaneously except chrome obviously). i think your problem comes from some chemistry between gta5 and chrome that leads to performance drops you are experiencing or you have too many opened tabs in chrome.
try using opera instead of chrome. it is based on chromium but yet it has differences and if your pc is running fine with it then problems is in chrome.
if i were in your shoes i would report your finding (with all graphs and screenshots) in game support forum. there might be a bug in game that need devs attention.

ps in opera there is an option to not load background tabs till they are put to foreground. check for such option in chrome and try to run the things with it enabled

I thought that's what XMP's were for? I'm fairly certain that the 1600 is the stock speed that intel guarantees, but enabling a XMP, or manually overclocking the memory controller, allows the higher speed RAM to be used/utilized.
Unless my understanding is wrong.

System Name Some computer stuff
Processor Mostly Intel or AMD
Motherboard ATX or mATX
Cooling Bong Cooler
Memory DDR2-4
Video Card(s) A few
Storage Plenty Platters or SSDs or USBs
Display(s) Samsung 23"
Case 5 on the floor
Audio Device(s) There's one for my M7 Gene, Oh I have 3-4 PCI 5.1 ones.Sabrent! lol
Power Supply 750-1000W
Mouse cheap
Keyboard Used ps2 from garage sales
Software Yeah
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/schmuckley/#Hardware_Library http://valid.canardpc.com/rbjpbg
Disable hardware acceleration for Flash and see if that solves your problem.
Open a Youtube video and right-click it.
Also..What's your cache running at?
Overclock your cache, too.
Aim for 4.4-4.6Ghz.

Obvious Hynix RAM is obvious..It might do 2800Mhz @ same timings...
I'd try jumping it up for why not :oops:
Maybe not straight to 2800..but in increments.
Double-check..ok it's Haswell.. :D

System Name Red Radiance l under construction
Processor 5800x
Motherboard x470 taichi
Cooling stock wrath
Memory TridentZ Neo rgb 3600mhz (2x8 kit)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64 nitro+
Storage 970 evo nvme
Display(s) lc27g75tq
Case tt core x5 tge
Audio Device(s) sennheiser's pc323d usb soundcard
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse roccat burst pro
Keyboard roccat ryos mk fx
Software windows 10
I thought that's what XMP's were for? I'm fairly certain that the 1600 is the stock speed that intel guarantees, but enabling a XMP, or manually overclocking the memory controller, allows the higher speed RAM to be used/utilized.
Unless my understanding is wrong.
xmp profiles are made so that cpus caped for 1600mhz ram can recognice and utilize higher clocks ram. it is utilized but controller and ram still works at 1600mhz unless cpu and controller with it are oced.
@cadaveca made review (which i cant find atm sry) that shows that for intel socket 1055, 1050 cpus ram higher then 1600 doesnt impact the performace (for amd fx series it is over 1866mhz). only amd apus see performance improvement with up to 2133mhz ram.
overall your problem doesnt come from ram neither from ram clocks or timings. you have problem with either game or chrome (or both).
first look at @Cartel's advice.
if it doesnt help replace chrome with opera (or mozilla) and check if problem is still there look for same problem in game and chrome support forums.