• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

looking for powered dongle that has sata on one end & esata/usb3 on other

i want to connect regular desktop hard drives to some kind of dongle/adapter/PCB that then connects to a computer over esata (i guess usb3 is also fine)

basically, it's an external enclosure without the enclosure, should i just take one apart?

does this sound crazy? yes, but i have hard drives in a cage removed from a case, it would be so much easier to just plug into them instead of swapping them from the cage into some enclosure(s)

there are all kinds of data adapters, but they're not powered with a wall wart, this is the real issue

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

close, but i do not want to remove the (3) drives from the existing cage, i want to just plug in cables to them as needed (that price is a bit much, also i would have to order from .ca)

i ran into this: http://www.sybausa.com/productInfo.php?iid=1234 i dont see any reason for that 'protective case' to be used, it appears as if the dongle is completely independent so this is the right idea

EDIT: the cage is from a corsair 500r

so imagine all 3 slots filled

i want to avoid any dock/enclosure that will orient the drives vertically as they have been used for years horizontally (i read some report about how changing the orientation might result in being more failure prone, but even if this sounds superstitious, the main reason is to not have to take them out of the cage or tray all the time)

EDIT2: the syba link is the product page of an item i saw on canadacomputers... but now i actually looked closer at syba's own site, http://www.sybausa.com/productInfo.php?iid=1101 !!

Last edited:
basically, it's an external enclosure without the enclosure, should i just take one apart?
I took Seagate's enclosure apart and now I have only SATA/USB adapter.

does this sound crazy? yes, but i have hard drives in a cage removed from a case, it would be so much easier to just plug into them instead of swapping them from the cage into some enclosure(s)
If I understand you correctly you have a HDD cage outside a PC that is normally mounted in a PC case but you took it out and now you want SATA/USB adapter which you will manually switch depending on which HDD you will use?

I have the same setup just without HDD cage and I manually switch SATA/USB adapter taken from Seagate's enclosure between drives. Just buy any SATA/USB adapter or if you do not get one with external power source buy external enclosure and disassemble it. And never buy one without external power source because only 2.5" drives will work.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Sounds easier just to buy a 3 drive SATA enclosure. It'll need a 60w brick minimum (figure 20w per 3.5" bay).

Changing orientation does not matter. Are you familiar with centripetal force? The load on the motor to start acceleration is independent on gravity and once they are rotating at speed, the rotating mass resists changes in orientation. Moving them while they are powered on isn't a great idea because it puts abnormal torque on the motor but if they are stopped and started in the same orientation, it doesn't matter.

It may be a little easier on the head keeping them flat though but because it requires so little force to swing the arm, I wouldn't be worried about that either.

http://www.ianker.com/product/68UPSATAA-02BU i ordered this

Sounds easier just to buy a 3 drive SATA enclosure. It'll need a 60w brick minimum (figure 20w per 3.5" bay).

Changing orientation does not matter. Are you familiar with centripetal force? The load on the motor to start acceleration is independent on gravity and once they are rotating at speed, the rotating mass resists changes in orientation. Moving them while they are powered on isn't a great idea because it puts abnormal torque on the motor but if they are stopped and started in the same orientation, it doesn't matter.

It may be a little easier on the head keeping them flat though but because it requires so little force to swing the arm, I wouldn't be worried about that either.
i have a killawatt, 20watts is a lot for a single drive (though i havent measured these 3 one by one just yet)

i guess i'm thinking more along the lines of the head, not the motor, wish i can remember the article... it was before backblaze, but possibly after google's statistics (which showed cold temperatures are also more failure prone)

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
15-16 watts is typical during spin up. They draw much less while running but the brick has to be able to handle that initial surge.

15-16 watts is typical during spin up. They draw much less while running but the brick has to be able to handle that initial surge.
i may have seen up to 25 watts on spinup of a WD1002FAEX, then normal usage below 10 watts

i'm liking this adapter, to power off, i just click the usual safely remove windows button, then it powers off when i unplug the usb

made a major mistake though... didnt realize to check temps, after some hours the drive was 48 degrees! so i aimed a room fan towards the desk & it could go way down to 32 degrees

i guess now i want a tiny external fan