• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Laptop replacement screen issue

Hi. My friend dropped his laptop and cracked the screen so I ordered him a replacement screen. I've replaced many laptop screens without a single issue until now. I'm starting to think I possibly received the wrong replacement screen for his laptop and wanted to check with you guys and get some input. The video screen cable (part number DC020012110) doesn't want to lock into the video connector on the replacement screen like it does on the broken screen. Then I looked and I noticed a difference with the broken screen and the replacement screen I ordered. The broken one is absent a chip (not sure what to call it) that the replacement screen has. I took some pictures which you can see below showing the difference between these two screens. Is this the issue why I get light, but no picture with the replacement screen and why the cable doesn't like to fit the video connector as easy as it did on the broken screen? The video cable hooks up to the broken screens video connector with no issues and I get a picture except of course the screen is so cracked it's unusable. When I try to hook up this replacement screen I get white light and that's it. Like I said I'm thinking I was sent a wrong screen perhaps? Below are the pictures and hopefully by looking at them you can see the difference between them and understand what I'm saying. I have also included information on the make and model of the laptop and also information I got from the back of the broken screen. I want to note that the broken screen says "LTN160AT06-U01" and the replacement just says "LTN160AT06" despite this description listing it as U01...

http://tinyurl.com/q7zgclt

Help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!!!

Toshiba Satellite A665-S6050

Samsung screen data...

Samsung 1024; LTN160AT06-U01; 6VAE20604Q; USP6639598/USP5280371

LJ96-04832B; LTN160AT06-HO1; D206 18LSYHG1M 1B84

K000094150 WKA30T

NASA30112499 AC60000KW70

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470 Pro
Cooling Arctic liquid freezer II 240
Memory 2 x 16 Gb Gskill Trident Z 3600 Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3060 Ti OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500 Gb / 860 EVO 1 Tb
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Logitech G513
Software Win 11
Its the wrong screen, vendors do this shit all the time just send it back

Thank you, but can you tell me why you say it's the wrong screen? What makes it the wrong one? Any idea what that extra part I am calling a chip is? Thanks!

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
It appears they sent you a touch screen, it should still connect and work, minus the cable for touch capability.
It also shows the screen is Version 2.

It appears they sent you a touch screen, it should still connect and work, minus the cable for touch capability.

Is that what the extra part is that I am calling a chip? I don't know... all I know is it won't connect as easy as the old one and it doesn't give me a picture. First time for this issue ever and it sucks!

Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470 Pro
Cooling Arctic liquid freezer II 240
Memory 2 x 16 Gb Gskill Trident Z 3600 Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3060 Ti OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500 Gb / 860 EVO 1 Tb
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Logitech G513
Software Win 11
Thank you, but can you tell me why you say it's the wrong screen? What makes it the wrong one? Any idea what that extra part I am calling a chip is? Thanks!
I'm assuming the laptop has a cable that goes to that "chip" its actually a connector , also you said the connector is different or doesn't fit and the board reversion is different reversion which can be seen above the large black chip on the left in your last two pictures.

hmm so the screen board version is a big deal I take it? I ask and try to learn. This is a new one to me. That connector I called a chip... I have no cable that goes to it. I just have a normal video screen cable with pins that plugs into a the gold video connector that's on the screen. Know what I mean? :)

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
That is not a chip.
It is a connector for FFC (flat flex cable).
The cabling is inside the white covering going to the connector.
It is probably a locking type of connector, too.

That is not a chip.
It is a connector for FFC (flat flex cable).
The cabling is inside the white covering going to the connector.
It is probably a locking type of connector, too.

Ok, but this part I wrongly referred to as a "chip" is of no use to me because I don't have that type of connection. What is that connection used for when the proper mating cable is present? A connector for what purpose? I ask because I a trying to learn. Also do you have any input on the other issue? Did I receive the wrong replacement screen, and if so, why? Thanks!

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
That is probably a touchscreen display panel.
The sensors are, more than likely, in the white backing.
And, the flat cable connects to those sensors.

Edit:

Here are a couple of pics that may help.
In the second picture it shows the connector and the flex cable. The flat flex cable is clear in this picture and the connector is a different color; however, it is the same principle.

The dark brown part of the connector is the locking mechanism, which snaps in and out of the light brown section.

The touchscreen cable is probably using less wires for the matrix, so it may be smaller, than in this example above.

Last edited:
Thank you for the great explanation! I was trying to search for pictures of a touch screen cable and connector and can't locate any. Just so I am clear this is not a touch screen capable laptop.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just so I am clear this is not a touch screen capable laptop

Well, what is the make and model?
Dell uses tag numbers and tell what options were originally purchased.

Also, some laptop companies have the option to customize the laptops.
Toshiba and Dell will let you, on certain models, choose a touchscreen display as an option.
It is possible that that panel may work on both, touchscreen and non-touchscreen.

You need to see a cross reference parts list for that info or contact the manufacturer.

EDIT:
By looking at the pics you posted... I would say no it is not touchscreen.

Sorry missed the make and model in your opening post.

Last edited:

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
I looks like both screens use a 40 pin connector for the video, but they, either, sent the wrong screen, it is cross compatible, or the wrong one was ordered.
You can, either, try it or send it back and get the correct one.

I do not have an answer as to if they are cross compatiable.

And, the Toshiba Satellite A665-S6050 did not come with a touchscreen as far as I can tell; however, other models did come with the same HD TruBrite® TFT LCD display, with touchscreen.

I looks like both screens use a 40 pin connector for the video, but they, either, sent the wrong screen, it is cross compatible, or the wrong one was ordered.
You can, either, try it or send it back and get the correct one.

I do not have an answer as to if they are cross compatiable.

And, the Toshiba Satellite A665-S6050 did not come with a touchscreen as far as I can tell; however, other models did come with the same HD TruBrite® TFT LCD display, with touchscreen.

Thank you very much! Yeah I don't know, I have never had this problem before and it is very frustrating to feel defeated. It's a true Samsung replacement not a generic one like most sell. Being this is a 16" oddball HD screen I don't think the generic companies make replacements for this. I ordered what was said to be the right replacement. A poster early in the thread said it's probably compatible you just don't use the touch screen connection of course, but he (2 posters actually) also said the screen board version is different than the cracked screen version 2.2 and version 2.1 the replacement. Who knows if that truly makes a difference or not! I have no idea :( I did hook this laptop up to an external monitor and it gets into Windows just fine so I guess I can rule out a video card or motherboard issue.

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
Where did you source it from and how much did you pay?

LaptopScreen.com shows the original part for $150. They have a pic of the back and it only has the 40 pin video connector and not the touchscreen connector. It's out of stock at all their locations though, so I'm assuming it would be very hard to get one new.

If you insist on a new one, I would call a reputable place that repairs Toshiba laptops and ask them if the touchscreen one is backwards compatible. If it is, it may only take a MB BIOS update or something.

http://www.laptopscreen.com/English/model/Toshiba/SATELLITE~A665-S6050/

Used ones can be had on eBay for under $15, but you're taking your chances.

...Here's another site showing a A665-S6050 screen for $150, new, and it doesn't say out of stock. No pic of the back, but you could ask if it has one or 2 connectors.

http://www.laptopscreenwholesale.co...lli7uFLzuqkgVsR2LSJQcY0tWHZL19SWIARoCzObw_wcB

...Or at Amazon for $158 with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0052FL3W2/?tag=tec06d-20

...Actually found one new on eBay for $145 with free shipping from Ca. Not a plus rated seller, but has a high sales history with very high rating. Only 6 mo warranty though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOSHIBA-SATELLITE-A665-S6050-LAPTOP-LCD-SCREEN-16-WXGA-HD-/371360475050

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Black Box
Audio Device(s) No need.
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
If you insist on a new one, I would call a reputable place that repairs Toshiba laptops and ask them if the touchscreen one is backwards compatible. If it is, it may only take a MB BIOS update or something.
I have swapped screens in laptops like this previously, the only time a BIOS update may be required is if you want to use the touch capability, as some motherboards have the needed slot that is unused and the cable is the only thing missing.

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
I have swapped screens in laptops like this previously, the only time a BIOS update may be required is if you want to use the touch capability, as some motherboards have the needed slot that is unused and the cable is the only thing missing.

Are you referring to putting a touchscreen in a laptop that was originally speced without one? If so, that would verify backwards compatibility. The BIOS update verifies the touchscreen feature is tied to the BIOS, as well.

It may also depend what brand/model of laptop and what BIOS it uses though regarding whether or not an update is required just to run a touchscreen without the touch feature though.

System Name Black Box
Audio Device(s) No need.
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
I have had the exact same situation where the only available replacement new screen was for a touchscreen, it connected using the same LVDS cable and worked correctly, I didn't bother connecting the second cable for touch capability even though the motherboard had the slot already, so I can't vouch if that part will work.
I assumed the manufacturer used the same motherboard across their model range.