• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Rosewill RHSP-13001 - 360-Joule Surge Protection Electricity Load Meter and Energy Monitor

Processor Intel i7-5820K @ 4.5Ghz (1.284v , 25*C)
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty X99X Killer
Cooling NZXT Kraken X61
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 32GB
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC - Blower fan
Case Corsair Carbide Series Air 540
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair TX850
Benchmark Scores Rosewill RHSP-13001: Complete system with dual lcd and peripherals @LOAD ~$35/Mo.
So, saw no posts or reviews on this site. Posting...

In short... it's awesome and worthwhile investment!

Have it plugged in and monitoring my surge/power strip with the computer and several monitors and an external fan to monitor my daily/monthly/yearly power consumption and COST.

Cost = around here $0.21 - $0.25 summer / winter and with a rig like mine and all the other additions it comes out to be roughly (idle/load) $16.00 - $38.00 / month. It's really helpful in itemizing and estimating costs. :D

Last edited:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Pretty much just a Kill-a-Watt clone, no?

Cooling NZXT Kraken X61
Benchmark Scores Rosewill RHSP-13001: Complete system with dual lcd and peripherals @LOAD ~$35/Mo.
Pretty much just a Kill-a-Watt clone, no?

Almost. The Rosewill model you can have the monitor sitting on your desk in eye's view rather than having to check it at the wall outlet. It also has a light on the base, which turns Green during normal power and Blue if there is an issue.

The light is a subtle green and blue light... MOSTLY a green light that doesn't blind you thereby forcing you to slam face first into a wall or door. Also serves as a night light when placed in well open area, if you're still scared of monsters under the bed.

Last edited:
System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Most decent UPS have similar displays built-in and monitoring/logging software to track your usage (and costs) over time.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Most decent UPS have similar displays built-in and monitoring/logging software to track your usage (and costs) over time.

True... However, most UPS devices do not cost, around, $20USD at Newegg or anywhere else, normally.
And, I would not want to lug around an ups to test others appliances or devices.
It is a nice device, for what it is; and, for someone who needs it's functions.

I like it's remote monitoring ability... would be really nice if it were wireless.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
So let me get this straight, you paid money to have something tell you how much money you are using in energy, that has had what effect on your energy consumption that you wouldn't have had if you just turned stuff off?

I have looked at the face of USP's with load meters for about 5 seconds to see what a system draws under full load and idle and make sure nothing is wonky, and then I never look again, cause for most machines they will run 24/7 and they are going to use what they use, or they get shut down to save power and wear and tear if they are rarely used.

Cooling NZXT Kraken X61
I like it's remote monitoring ability... would be really nice if it were wireless.

If it were so...

So let me get this straight, you paid money to have something tell you how much money you are using in energy, that has had what effect on your energy consumption that you wouldn't have had if you just turned stuff off?

I have looked at the face of USP's with load meters for about 5 seconds to see what a system draws under full load and idle and make sure nothing is wonky, and then I never look again, cause for most machines they will run 24/7 and they are going to use what they use, or they get shut down to save power and wear and tear if they are rarely used.

~$20 for this module is moot... it serves many purposes and it pays off.

Turning off a computer is going to cause MORE wear and tear on components than keeping it turned on 24/7 ... as for UPS systems, they are worth it, but many consumer UPS systems do not come with monitoring tools. Just a battery pack and and annoyingly loud speaker.

Last edited:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
A Kill-A-Watt or one of these is handy to have. Some things draw more power than you'd expect (like DVRs) and you wouldn't know what devices are causing the ghost draw without it. Had I not already had a Kill-A-Watt, I probably would have gotten one of these. The ability to separate the display from the socket is a very nice feature I wish Kill-A-Watt had.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
And, I would not want to lug around an ups to test others appliances or devices.
Who said anything about lugging anything around? The OP said, he wanted to use it for "monitoring my surge/power strip with the computer and several monitors and an external fan to monitor my daily/monthly/yearly power consumption and COST." That suggests plugging it in and leaving it.

For sure, if I needed something to take on service calls, I would not want to lug a UPS around either.

But for my home computers (and home theater audio and big screen TV) I use an UPS because a surge and spike protector is little more than a fancy and expensive extension cord.

Cooling NZXT Kraken X61
Who said anything about lugging anything around? The OP said, he wanted to use it for "monitoring my surge/power strip with the computer and several monitors and an external fan to monitor my daily/monthly/yearly power consumption and COST." That suggests plugging it in and leaving it.

For sure, if I needed something to take on service calls, I would not want to lug a UPS around either.

But for my home computers (and home theater audio and big screen TV) I use an UPS because a surge and spike protector is little more than a fancy and expensive extension cord.

A UPS on that type of equipment.... what in the sam hell? So, I guess you want to finish the last 30 minutes of Cinderella during a power outage before the battery pack begins to warn you that you need to turn everything off gracefully?!

A surge protector is enough for that equipment, as for the television, dvr, etc... PC sure use a ups, but not all UPS's have displays. ;)

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
A UPS on that type of equipment.... what in the sam hell? So, I guess you want to finish the last 30 minutes of Cinderella during a power outage before the battery pack begins to warn you that you need to turn everything off gracefully?!
If you think battery backup during a power outage is the primary advantage of an UPS, then you don't understand why every computer should be on a good UPS with AVR.

A surge and spike protector does nothing for extreme high voltage anomalies - except kill power, potentially corrupting your OS and any data you are working on. A surge and spike protector does absolutely nothing for low voltage anomalies like dips (opposite of spikes), sags (opposite of surges) or extended sags (brown-outs).

Power during a full outage is just the icing on the cake.

And no one said "ALL" UPS have displays either. I said decent UPS. I would not get a budget UPS anymore than I would get a budget PSU.

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
If you think battery backup during a power outage is the primary advantage of an UPS, then you don't understand why every computer should be on a good UPS with AVR.

A surge and spike protector does nothing for extreme high voltage anomalies - except kill power, potentially corrupting your OS and any data you are working on. A surge and spike protector does absolutely nothing for low voltage anomalies like dips (opposite of spikes), sags (opposite of surges) or extended sags (brown-outs).

And no one said "ALL" UPS have displays either. I said decent UPS. I would not get a budget UPS anymore than I would get a budget PSU.

QFT

UPS's present a better consistent voltage to devices and compensates for spikes and drops just as stated above. UPS's filter the electricity they output, so it is a cleaner signal to devices that are connected to it, even those that aren't on the battery-side will benefit from improved filtering and protection on most decent models. Even cheaper APC and Cyperpower units.

That said, I only run one on my home server/networking gear, everything else is behind surge protectors (glorified power strips). Someday though I may change that with decent 1000VA/600W UPS's becoming very affordable, I don't feel going below that is worth it imho. :toast:

Cooling NZXT Kraken X61

NQFT

What?! There is no "decent" UPS without a display? I guess a Smart UPS 1500 is crap. GTFO. Ok. You're paying out of your rear just to have a LCD display on a UPS and it's totally unessential. There is no need for a UPS on a television , dvr , avr etc , a decent power surge protector will protect you from just about any home/business failure or surge from the power line. The item I posted is NOT a efficient surge protector for anything really, it's a monitor... and you're a fool paying $10-$20 for a surge protector as most effective PS on the market cost well above $40 , business class you're going to pay more. If you have a cheapo Menards, Sams Club, Walmart, Kmart, Petco, BillysWorld, Cotsco, HomeDepot surge protector on any device in your home, then sure it's not really going to protect a dang thing... it's just luck.

I said computer, is worthwhile for a UPS due to the fact that DRIVES will fail (fail or data corruption) due to sudden loss of power... that's the only reason a UPS is even suggested on a computer system. To provide the user/administrator to gracefully shutdown the equipment.

The only difference between a UPS and a standard PS .... is a Battery Pack to allow for graceful shutdowns. I'm not saying it's totally unnecessary to have a UPS on every toaster and waffle iron in your home, but I guess if someone has some sense of security that it works better than a quality surge protector and the need to make toast and waffles during a power failure then more power to you. I know I wouldn't because it's a waste of money and unessential. Oh, we can go on and on all day about this too and there are surge protectors that supersede some UPS systems in enterprise environments, whether you want one of those in your home depends on the size of your wallet.

Finally, let me remind you that the thread is about a "Electricity Load Meter and Energy Monitor" not efficient PS/UPS systems. LOL.

Last edited:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Pure sine wave UPSs actually deliver a cleaner power signal to the connected devices than what comes off the grid.

Cooling NZXT Kraken X61
Not going off topic: ^^ , talking about grids... worked at a power coop one summer during college and the coal boiler blew a hole the size of a basketball in the side... it only sustained minimal damage and blew all the windows out located on the 6th floor. lol. talk about chaos, people felt the shock wave from ~20 miles away. a few days after that a few transformers began arcing. miss that place. coal boilers are freakin huge and scary, especially if coal isn't rotated.

If anyone gets a chance... go tour a coal power coop.

Last edited:

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
Pure sine wave UPSs actually deliver a cleaner power signal to the connected devices than what comes off the grid.

Yep that's what mine features. Also if you have an 80+ PSU you're better off with a pure sine wave UPS. Found that one out when a customer cheaped out on their UPS because of that $30 feature and kept having stability issues. Then I spent time researching and verified that as the culprit. Replaced with a PSW featured UPS and problems solved.

I'll have to check out a coal boiler at a nearby coop...that is a crazy story Freezer!

Smart UPS 1500 that you say aren't crap also aren't the best in their range either...I'd honestly go for the Cyberpower version any day of the week. Two reasons?Better prices on replacement parts and better reliability in the 1500va range.

I have both and other makes deployed...the damn APCs always need more frequent and costly services...and sadly its gotten to the point we do a 6 month count down on the next Smart UPS 1500 failure with each sale...sucks because honestly the durability of their old devices is so much better.

People still buy APC hand over fist...and if we can we talk them up to the rack mounted variety (those have been mostly decent) or to a different brand altogether.

Back on track to the OP though...I have one on order because that's a damn handy tool to have! Never knew Rose will made that before your post.

:toast:

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
What?! There is no "decent" UPS without a display?
Now who said that? You sure do like to twist other people's words around, huh? There are plenty of decent UPS without displays. Just as there are plenty with displays that are reasonably priced.

I said computer, is worthwhile for a UPS due to the fact that DRIVES will fail (fail or data corruption) due to sudden loss of power...that's the only reason a UPS is even suggested on a computer system.
The only reason? Yeah right. :( Maybe in your world, but clearly your world is not representative of every ones. If you think that is the only reason for a UPS on a computer, then you don't understand their value for many users. You making the blanket claim you don't need one on TVs demonstrates that too.
You're paying out of your rear just to have a LCD display on a UPS
Again, clearly indicating you don't know what you are talking about. You don't need to spend $400 to get a decent UPS with a display. You don't even need a pure sine wave supply if using a quality PSU because the waveform coming from the UPS AVR circuits is still cleaner than what comes from most surge and spike protectors.

UPS have been used effectively on computers for decades now and it is only recently that pure sine wave UPS became reasonably priced and that is only because more and more are going on home theaters systems and big screen TVs where line noise may interfere with the audio.

There are many decent 1300 - 1500VA UPS with display panels for less than $150 - less than many spend on their PSUs - that will protect the entire computer, 2 widescreen monitors and all your network gear too. And too that, keeping networks alive (along with their IP assignments) is critical for some folks.

Just because you don't understand their value does not make them invaluable to others. I live in Tornado Alley and while total power outages are not uncommon, we don't have UPSs on all our computers because of outages. They are on the computers and other sensitive electronics primarily for the AVR - power during full outages is just a bonus.

The ATX Form Factor standard requires ATX PSUs to maintain a voltage hold up time for just 17ms. That is much faster than the human eye can detect. And sadly, if you read the excellent PSU reviews done on this site, you will see that even some of the best PSUs fail to hold power even that long. :( No surge and spike protector can help you there. And note that is not talking about a power outage, but a low voltage event (sag) where the line in drops below 90VAC with 115VAC nominal or 180VAC with 230VAC nominal. This again is nothing any surge and spike protector can deal with.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG X570S Tomahawk Max WiFi
Cooling EK Supremacy EVO Elite + EK D5 + EK 420 Rad, TT Toughfan 140x3, TT Toughfan 120x2, Arctic slim 120
Memory 32GB GSkill DDR4-3600 (F4-3600C16-8GVKC)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Radeon RX 7900XTX Gaming OC
Storage WDBlack SN850X 4TB, Samsung 950Pro 512GB, Samsung 850EVO 500GB, 6TB WDRed, 36TB NAS, 8TB Lancache
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z (1440P 144Hz, TN, Freesync) & 2x ASUS VE248
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Audio Device(s) Topping D50S + THX AAA 789, TH-X00 w/ V-Moda Boompro; 7Hz Timeless
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Sharkoon Fireglider optical
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro
Interesting feature with the removable display.

Missed feature: Having the display connected via Cat5 patch cord for any arbitrary (within reason) length you need.