• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Possible causes for continuous frezzing while gaming, GC dying? PSU dying?

blackcesar

Hi everyone,

My name is Mahad and I'm new to the forum. I've decided to write down because I read a "similar" post and seemed that the community here is very helping and nice.

My computer freezes after playing, tipically Fallout4, with a glitchy sound continuous (buzzing) and requires hard reset.
Before starting to blame various components I installed months ago other 8 gb of RAM, different brand, so I did memtest for roughly 8 hour and no problem, also fumark 1080p test no problem, prime blend test no problem.
So I read that the graphics drivers might be problem, so I unistall them and install them again and I was able to play for 2 hours with no problems than it happened again and ,after 10 minutes of gaming, again.
Happened also, just once, with GTA5 and COD that's why I thought it could be a systematic problematic.

I also have general problems with my SO (windows 8.1) automatic restart almost never works (freezing while restarting logo rolls in the blu screen), opening browsers may cause random freezing (possibly flash player?), this things happened also before, while the gaming part is new.

So my idea now is to unistall Fallout 4 and reinstall, maybe it corrupted some files, install windows 10 since they told me you have to install new drivers again, and check if it happens again.
Just wanna ask if this are the signs of a possible dying component of my rig, GC is 4 month old, the rest roughly 1 year.

Rig:
Proc: amd fx 8320
CPU cooler: hyper evo 212
Mobo: asus m5a97 evo r2.0
RAM: team group and corsair (sorry for the bad specs I will update as soon as I'm at home in any case checked serveral times if they are compatible with my mobo and they are...both CL9 and 1600 mhz)
graphics: MSI 970
PSU: Corsair CX600 80Plus Bronze 600W
HDD: 1 TB
SSD: 125 GB
Case: sharkoon vg4-w
Wifi PCI adapter: Tp link TL-WN851ND

SO is installed in the SSD, games are usually in the HDD, checked both with HD tune, again no problems. Temp are really low because case is open.
No OC in any component.

ps: as soon as I'm at home, I will try adding some log files.

Thanks a lot for all the future advices

Last edited:
System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
it does sound more like hardware problems to me.. maybe the psu.. apart from saying it dosnt sound like a software problem i aint going to hazard any more guesses.. he he

trog

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
computer freezes after playing
a glitchy sound continuous (buzzing)

Almost always one of two things:

Graphics card getting too hot
Power Supply to GPU is not enough/spiking out of reasonable allowance.

If you've ruled out GPU temps, look at replacing your PSU.

memtest for roughly 8 hour

Memtest86+ is not always 100% accurate. Run the system with a single stick of RAM while gaming to ensure this is not the cause.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
It is the RAM... my wild guess... They don't like each other. And The timings are set wrong.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I had the same problem not long ago and it turned out it was the motherboard.

I'd advice you on how to look at dumpfiles from the event log, but I have completely forgotten how. Probably using this, choosing only the debugging tools.

blackcesar

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm bringing some files so that you can, hopefully, understand better all the things.
Attached you can find a log temp from speedfan, it should have included also the time when it crashed yesterday around 00:45, and CPU-z information regarding RAM as well as the event logs.

Regarding gc and psu, 600w should be enough even for a crossfire system, and instead regarding ram, I do also feel that could be wrong but still cannot understand why memetest and prime blend were successfull.

Attachments

• log_temp.txt
    20.5 KB · Views: 436
  • event_log.png
    event_log.png
    260.5 KB · Views: 558
  • slot1.png
    slot1.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 439
  • slot2.png
    slot2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 407
  • slot3.png
    slot3.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 580
  • slot4.png
    slot4.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 446
  • cpu-zmemory.png
    cpu-zmemory.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 550
System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
600 watts is more than enough assuming its not gone iffy.. your problem does have a certain random nature to it.. this makes me think maybe a psu on the way out..

sometimes you just have to hazard guess and replace a part.. in your case the first option i would go for is the psu..

sometimes when the problem could be three or more different things you get the first guess wrong.. he he..

what you are not going to get is a sure fire answer.. you being the guy on the spot are better placed to figure it out than anyone on here from a few hundred miles away..

before you decide what it is.. work out what it cannot be.. remove some possibilities from the equation.. saying your 600 watts should be enough is poor diagnostic logic.. do better next time.. he he..

trog

System Name panda
Processor 6700k
Motherboard sabertooth s
Cooling raystorm block<black ice stealth 240 rad<ek dcc 18w 140 xres
Memory 32gb ripjaw v
Video Card(s) 290x gamer<ntzx g10<antec 920
Storage 950 pro 250gb boot 850 evo pr0n
Display(s) QX2710LED@110hz lg 27ud68p
Case 540 Air
Audio Device(s) nope
Power Supply 750w superflower
Mouse g502
Keyboard shine 3 with grey, black and red caps
Software win 10
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/marsey99/
defrag that hdd with good software that lets you move the most accessed data to the outer edge and the least used to the inner.

check vram usage as past 3.5gb your fps will shit the bed.

touch the sb heatsink on the mobo with your finger, if it hurts it needs a fan.

blackcesar

Updating a little bit.

I removed again the graphics drivers, installed them and upgraded to windows 10.
Luckly it seems like all the browsing crashing things are done, more testing is needed. Being playing Fallout4 again and it happened after roughly 40-60 min of gameplay. At least I can assure that the sound buzzing is from the speakers not from the rig.
Will try now to test more things but since thursday I'm leaving for one week, I thinking about leaving to some repairs shops and see what they can find while I'm abroad.
Also, since components are one year old, I guess I still have the warranty...for sure on the 970 which is 4 months old.
Any other recommendation are always well accepted and I will keep you updated.
Edit: now I moved Fallout 4 into the SSD so to avoid the HDD problematic.

600 watts is more than enough assuming its not gone iffy.. your problem does have a certain random nature to it.. this makes me think maybe a psu on the way out..

sometimes you just have to hazard guess and replace a part.. in your case the first option i would go for is the psu..

sometimes when the problem could be three or more different things you get the first guess wrong.. he he..

what you are not going to get is a sure fire answer.. you being the guy on the spot are better placed to figure it out than anyone on here from a few hundred miles away..

before you decide what it is.. work out what it cannot be.. remove some possibilities from the equation.. saying your 600 watts should be enough is poor diagnostic logic.. do better next time.. he he..

trog

I've explained myself badly. The thing is, if the PSU is not working properly, how come I don't see the behaviour while using stress tests?

Last edited:
System Name main/SFFHTPCARGH!(tm)/Xiaomi Mi TV Stick/Samsung Galaxy S23/Ally
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D/i7-3770/S905X/Snapdragon 8 Gen 2/Ryzen Z1 Extreme
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk/HP SFF Q77 Express/uh?/uh?/Asus
Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Edifier STAX Spirit S3 & SamsungxAKG beans
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
Keyboard Endorfy Thock 75% <3/none/touch/virtual
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Software Win10 64/Win8.1 64/Android TV 8.1/Android 13/Win11 64
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o

trog
well it's a Corsair CX .... that would explain a bit (that's only me but i wouldn't get a CX from them, even if they paid me )
i've ran some system on 600-650w just fine and some were quite power hungry (if we go by the cliché ... ) i.e.: a FX6300 + a R9 290, 6 fans, and some other power drawing component on a Fractal Design Integra R2 650w with no issues

check vram usage as past 3.5gb your fps will shit the bed.
some people reporting they do not have that issue with the 970, even above 3.5gb, (even if most of the complain about issue on fps or stuttering in any game forum i saw was about the 970 :laugh: ) tho i still tend to think the 970 is not a card to get, there is way better concurrent in the same and lower price range ... specially the 290/390/290X/390X (4gb and 8gb )

scott martin

I'd like to add a few things. First, I have seen this issue several times on several machines. Usually its overclocking, but when it is not.... Once it was not enough power supply for a quad SLI. So, I agree with this possible diagnosis however, this machine has got enough according to your specs. Once it was unmatched RAM sticks good thing to check, try with only one kind, but if they are set up right in the bios it becomes a less likely, but still possible culprit. The last 3 things, I feel one off will contain, or maybe two together will be the problem in this case. Because it sounds to me like your issue is possibly 2 fold.

Once it was my sound driver and I had to rollback to an old one for awhile. Haven't heard you mention this. Haven't read the whole post so sorry, to anyone who has already said any of this I'm just seconding the notion(s) :)

Couple of times it was CPU or graphics cards getting too hot because fans were either dirty, or ignoring PWM thermal settings but usually glitches that sooner or later cause manual fan speed settings to lose the max speed override. 2 things I'm hearing that make me think it could be this is: 1) Your case is open. In my testing I have found that the only time your case temps are cooler with the side off, is when your case is badly underventilated to begin with. The push/pull setups of case fans create a powerful force to move air through the case and grabbing heat from components and evacuating it from the case. Thereby not allowing higher temps than room temp to hang around components at all. This action is robbed by a case door open, similar to a vacuum hose with a big hole in it! 2) Sounds like the interval that its happening is just long enough each time for the component to get too hot.

I've had issues like this with Windows 10 since I have been trying it, with my own PC, so if it started then that's probably it.

The one main thing I know will help you in the meantime is this... When that game is playing when this happens, you have got to run check disk in windows safe mode with command prompt, on both the OS drive and the storage drive the game was on. Otherwise it is likely that it will happen again. Try it, it WILL find errors on the drive. Use command "chkdsk c:\ /f" where c is the OS then again replacing c with drive letter of your storage drive

If none of this is it, I would venture to think my chipset is burnt up on the motherboard. I would backup everything wipe and start fresh with 1 type RAM clean OS that isn't WIN10, and game before and after windows updates. then slowly add one thing per few weeks like other ram or WIN10 till you see after what causes it to start. If there is no time that you cant play without this happening... clean windows etc, then get a new board. I have seen this but only once.

And I will put my life on the line and say its not the CPU it either works or it doesn't in my experience, I have thought it was once, then much later tried it in an old board and abused it and it was flawless. Not that it cannot happen its just least likely of all this.

My 2 cents, hope it helps! GL

Oh and to address the stress tests, they have coding written in them that monitors the CPU and GPU temp then tells the thermal throttle to throttle down when hot, games do not. and the aftermarket GPU monitoring software(s) I have found to be very buggy, even completely unreliable at times.

Last edited:

blackcesar

some people reporting they do not have that issue with the 970, even above 3.5gb, (even if most of the complain about issue on fps or stuttering in any game forum i saw was about the 970 :laugh: ) tho i still tend to think the 970 is not a card to get, there is way better concurrent in the same and lower price range ... specially the 290/390/290X/390X (4gb and 8gb )

OT
I have a 270x Sapphire and it was really good but AMD both in driver support as well as support in general is so underwhelming that it's impossible not to notice. Nvidia on the other side, they can be considered as ass****s but their support in much much better. Also as soon as I bought my 970 new R9 models came out, although 8 Gb of VRAM I still think is pretty useless now and when they will be needed better cards will be out in any case.
End of OT

The one main thing I know will help you in the meantime is this... When that game is playing when this happens, you have got to run check disk in windows safe mode with command prompt, on both the OS drive and the storage drive the game was on. Otherwise it is likely that it will happen again. Try it, it WILL find errors on the drive. Use command "chkdsk c:\ /f" where c is the OS then again replacing c with drive letter of your storage drive

If none of this is it, I would venture to think my chipset is burnt up on the motherboard. I would backup everything wipe and start fresh with 1 type RAM clean OS that isn't WIN10, and game before and after windows updates. then slowly add one thing per few weeks like other ram or WIN10 till you see after what causes it to start. If there is no time that you cant play without this happening... clean windows etc, then get a new board. I have seen this but only once..

Thanks a lot. You seemed to understand one major problem which is the fact that my case is too small and I definitely need to upgrade to one with better airflow and I would have done it as soon as possible in any case.
For the command, I didn't understand one thing.
So I launch windows in safe mode, run the command in cmd (now everything is moved to one drive the SSD), play the game and wait for the crash? Or wait for the crash, restart and then do a check command on safe mode?

Also regarding temps I still cannot understand why in the log file I don't see crazy temperatures if the problem is due to overheating.

Last edited:
Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Edifier STAX Spirit S3 & SamsungxAKG beans
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
Nvidia on the other side, they can be considered as ass****s but their support in much much better.
ok me too, OT
it was not really a off topic :D non related to the issue but still worth it for you ;) obviously yes 8gb is not a requirement for now and a 290/390 might not be suited to use it if they needed to, altho the 290 4gb is a better option than a 970 (price wise and not only that) or ... the only upgrade to a 290 would be a 290X 4gb or a 980Ti 6gb (well i side graded with my 980 technically), tho unlucky: you already have a 970 and i don't know the price point of the 290 where you are, for me they are around 200$ (2nd hand) 300$ (new) and 970 is almost 380$
also ... DRIVER support ... don't get me started on that ...

oh well ... yes i just start with that : of all my AMD card i had only one (3870) who did have a driver issue other than that even the latest driver worked fine with my 290 at the time, on the opposite for my 980 i had to use the 347.88 for a long time, since the latest drivers from Nv were giving me some very unpleasant bug/glitch/errors/instability lucky now the 359.00 is fine ... to between the 347.88 and 359.00 : no good driver at all :rolleyes:
end of OT

Thanks a lot. You seemed to understand one major problem which is the fact that my case is too small and I definitely need to upgrade to one with better airflow and I would have done it as soon as possible in any case.
So I launch windows in safe mode, run the command in cmd (now everything is moved to one drive the SSD), play the game and wait for the crash?

Also regarding temps I still cannot understand why in the log file I don't see crazy temperatures if the problem is due to overheating.
on topic: the airflow might be a issue, tho as you note it: the temps seems in the acceptable range.

and indeed 600W would be enough as i stated
i've ran some system on 600-650w just fine and some were quite power hungry (if we go by the cliché ... ) i.e.: a FX6300 + a R9 290, 6 fans, and some other power drawing component on a Fractal Design Integra R2 650w with no issues
tho the CX line from corsair is far from being a good PSU, Corsair has some ... hum ... bad reputation for cheap PSU (well if anything is cheap from Corsair :) ) for instance my Seasonic M12II 750W Evo is only 16$ more expensive than a Corsair CX600 V2
and 35$ more than a CX600

the best way to test if the PSU is the culprit is to swap it with either a equivalent unit or a higher wattage
i had similar issue in a retro rig (Athlon 64 3200+ and a 8800Ultra) with a 480W Chieftec PSU, issues got cleared by changing the PSU to a Enermax coolergiant 480W, a 600W Cooler Master GX Lite was used for testing but even with a similar wattage the issue was also gone, turned out that Chieftec was a p.o.s PSU

for the RAM i also did mix match RAM (same clock and timing ) without any issue, but who know...

btw what case you have? i didn't see on the list.

blackcesar

ok me too, OT
it was not really a off topic :D non related to the issue but still worth it for you ;) obviously yes 8gb is not a requirement for now and a 290/390 might not be suited to use it if they needed to, altho the 290 4gb is a better option than a 970 (price wise and not only that) or ... the only upgrade to a 290 would be a 290X 4gb or a 980Ti 6gb (well i side graded with my 980 technically), tho unlucky: you already have a 970 and i don't know the price point of the 290 where you are, for me they are around 200$ (2nd hand) 300$ (new) and 970 is almost 380$
also ... DRIVER support ... don't get me started on that ...

oh well ... yes i just start with that : of all my AMD card i had only one (3870) who did have a driver issue other than that even the latest driver worked fine with my 290 at the time, on the opposite for my 980 i had to use the 347.88 for a long time, since the latest drivers from Nv were giving me some very unpleasant bug/glitch/errors/instability lucky now the 359.00 is fine ... to between the 347.88 and 359.00 : no good driver at all :rolleyes:
end of OT

on topic: the airflow might be a issue, tho as you note it: the temps seems in the acceptable range.

and indeed 600W would be enough as i stated

tho the CX line from corsair is far from being a good PSU, Corsair has some ... hum ... bad reputation for cheap PSU (well if anything is cheap from Corsair :) ) for instance my Seasonic M12II 750W Evo is only 16$ more expensive than a Corsair CX600 V2
and 35$ more than a CX600

the best way to test if the PSU is the culprit is to swap it with either a equivalent unit or a higher wattage
i had similar issue in a retro rig (Athlon 64 3200+ and a 8800Ultra) with a 480W Chieftec PSU, issues got cleared by changing the PSU to a Enermax coolergiant 480W, a 600W Cooler Master GX Lite was used for testing but even with a similar wattage the issue was also gone, turned out that Chieftec was a p.o.s PSU

for the RAM i also did mix match RAM (same clock and timing ) without any issue, but who know...

btw what case you have? i didn't see on the list.

OT
For me my 270x was really noisy (my god was incredible) and heating a lot, the specs and requirements said that I was suppose to play at certain specs, but than in the end it was completely the opposite, also really I had a lot of example of simply bad optimized games for Radeon like Dying light, which was unplayable at launch (should also MGS:TPP). Catalysts drivers were going out really late, while the Nvidia one as soon as the games comes out they are ready. Of course not everything that shines is gold.
Second reason, I really like the tweaking guides Nvidia puts on their websites, third if you have a shield device it seems it's gonna work really well both at the desktop and tv for example (didn't try it).
I'm no fanboy whatsover, I really don't care brand names, I'm looking for products that can meet my requirements with the money I have in disposal, which is not much. That's why I'm doing small upgrades per time. I bought a 270x because I couldn't afford a 290/290x, I bought a 970 because it seemed to be the best overall graphic card at the moment and I still think it is (it's good to change to the others and see for yourself), especially the noise problem is finally off, while I guess for the R9 is still there.
Finally, AMD is doing really bad generally in terms of market capitalization, if it's going like this failure can be under the corner, XboxOne and PS4 are mounting AMD GPUs so maybe they can survive but the situation is not going well for them, and Mantle was a failure.
MSI 970 is roughly 340 euros with one game inside (for me was MGS:TPP) second hand 270-290. 390 is like 360-390.
End OT

My case is sharkoon vg4-w. Gonna update the first post immediately.
As soon as I'm aat home gonna try the check command, I guess after the crash, in safe mode. Then, I could try to remove the dust or leave to someone to do some checkings (a little bit afraid of possible frauds)

System Name Rhino
Processor FX6300
Motherboard Asus M5A97 EVO R2
Cooling Corsair H80i
Memory HyperX Beast 1866MHz
Video Card(s) Asus GTX560ti
Storage OCZ Agility 3
Case Lian-li
Audio Device(s) Auzentech Sound Studio
Power Supply EVGA G2 750w
Keyboard Tt eSPORTS Challenger Pro
Software W10 64bit
I've had this issue recently following W10 upgrade, sometimes on boot, often randomly.
PSU brand new.
I should upgrade the RAM.

Last edited:
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Hi everyone,

My name is Mahad and I'm new to the forum. I've decided to write down because I read a "similar" post and seemed that the community here is very helping and nice.

My computer freezes after playing, tipically Fallout4, with a glitchy sound continuous (buzzing) and requires hard reset.
Before starting to blame various components I installed months ago other 8 gb of RAM, different brand, so I did memtest for roughly 8 hour and no problem, also fumark 1080p test no problem, prime blend test no problem.
So I read that the graphics drivers might be problem, so I unistall them and install them again and I was able to play for 2 hours with no problems than it happened again and ,after 10 minutes of gaming, again.
Happened also, just once, with GTA5 and COD that's why I thought it could be a systematic problematic.

I also have general problems with my SO (windows 8.1) automatic restart almost never works (freezing while restarting logo rolls in the blu screen), opening browsers may cause random freezing (possibly flash player?), this things happened also before, while the gaming part is new.

So my idea now is to unistall Fallout 4 and reinstall, maybe it corrupted some files, install windows 10 since they told me you have to install new drivers again, and check if it happens again.
Just wanna ask if this are the signs of a possible dying component of my rig, GC is 4 month old, the rest roughly 1 year.

Rig:
Proc: amd fx 8320
CPU cooler: hyper evo 212
Mobo: asus m5a97 evo r2.0
RAM: team group and corsair (sorry for the bad specs I will update as soon as I'm at home in any case checked serveral times if they are compatible with my mobo and they are...both CL9 and 1600 mhz)
graphics: MSI 970
PSU: Corsair CX600 80Plus Bronze 600W
HDD: 1 TB
SSD: 125 GB
Case: sharkoon vg4-w

SO is installed in the SSD, games are usually in the HDD, checked both with HD tune, again no problems. Temp are really low because case is open.
No OC in any component.

ps: as soon as I'm at home, I will try adding some log files.

Thanks a lot for all the future advices

There are a number of possible causes, but seeing as it is a pretty fresh install I strongly doubt this is software related.

I would try to rule out the following, in that order.

- HDD. Are the cables in order, is the HDD making funny noises. Check your SMART values.
- OS disk (SSD). The same questions (apart from noises) apply. Many SSD's don't like sudden system shutdowns and power loss, this can corrupt the data and the drive itself. An OS reinstall can be a temporary solution, but only until you hit those damaged or bad blocks again upon which the issue returns. Similarly, a faulty cable (or one that is slowly dying) will show similar behaviour because the system cannot access the disk when it wants to, for some applications this matters more than others, but when this access concerns kernel files or critical game files, you will get hangs and crashes, even BSOD's.

A storage access issue seems likely here, because you can run benchmarks with no issues. These benchmarks rely heavily on GPU and PSU, but do not have a lot of access to files on disk while they are running. Games do.

- PSU. Swap out your current PSU and try one that you know is in order. See if the problem persists.

Do not start swapping and buying components before you have determined the cause of the issue. Don't jump to conclusions, work by process of elimination.

If the above doesn't get you to a conclusion, run your system with minimal components (1 stick of RAM, CPU, OS disk only) and start testing, and add one component at a time and test with every new component again.

Last but not least, cooling. Check your system temps while gaming, especially CPU and GPU. You can do this with RTSS (rivatuner). HOWEVER. System hangs without shutdown are not generally temperature related, because when temps get too high, protection kicks in to shut down the system.

Last edited:

scott martin

So I launch windows in safe mode, run the command in cmd (now everything is moved to one drive the SSD), play the game and wait for the crash? Or wait for the crash, restart and then do a check command on safe mode?

Also regarding temps I still cannot understand why in the log file I don't see crazy temperatures if the problem is due to overheating.[/QUOTE]
Command line type chkdsk space c:\ space /f enter.... if c:\ is the drive the game and OS is installed to. When its done, look back up the lines on the screen, up near the middle of the results you will see a line saying the drive found no errors, or it will say it found errors and made corrections. clear that error clear the glitch in the game trust me it works. wont find errors til it happens again then run it again might never happen again, you may have fixed the initial issue and this is all that remains. The frag to the mem chips on the SSD from the fast power off you had to do when it locked up the first time. Glitch in the OS too that's causing your lockups during boot. try it. If you cant work it like this go right click c drive in windows select properties, select tools, select error check, or scandisk. If you select this feature on the OS drive it will say it has been scheduled, just reboot and let it run, but if you do this it will continue booting when done, and it will be too fast for you to read that you had errors or not, so be reading the results as it post them if you do it this way.

scott martin

Also regarding temps I still cannot understand why in the log file I don't see crazy temperatures if the problem is due to overheating.[/QUOTE]
at command promt type chkdsk space c:\ space /f enter. When the results display look up about halfway you will see disk found no errors, or found errors and corrected them <--when it says this your fixed probably, on the boot freezes too usually. You may in fact have in troubleshooting already fixed the initial issue and this is all that remains to be done. check it out Every time you fast power off, which is every time you lockup...memory chip data, like that on the SSD gets fragged or glitched this repairs it everytime, I run into needing it a lot when pushing overclocks to the limits. Try it, you might be done.

blackcesar

at command promt type chkdsk space c:\ space /f enter. When the results display look up about halfway you will see disk found no errors, or found errors and corrected them <--when it says this your fixed probably, on the boot freezes too usually. You may in fact have in troubleshooting already fixed the initial issue and this is all that remains to be done. check it out Every time you fast power off, which is every time you lockup...memory chip data, like that on the SSD gets fragged or glitched this repairs it everytime, I run into needing it a lot when pushing overclocks to the limits. Try it, you might be done.

Ok so the command chkdsk C:\ /f does not work. It says path is not valid, so I removed the C:\ to C: and it works but it scheduled the check when booting because C has also the Windows SO. Then after the booting and checking, I want to find the log file in the Event Viewer/Windows Logs/Applications/ now I should search for something like Wininit or chdsdk but nothing, also using Powershell and this code line:
get-winevent -FilterHashTable @{logname="*"; starttime="7:00am"} | select timecreated,providername,id,containerlog,message | out-gridview

Gives this screenshot as attached. Found it here: http://kmwoley.com/blog/where-to-find-chkdsk-results-in-vista-windows-7/

UPDATE: I've also added information about my wifi pci card installed, which may cause problems as well. Gonna do some search now about that.

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    142.9 KB · Views: 598
Last edited:

scott martin

Ok so the command chkdsk C:\ /f does not work. It says path is not valid, so I removed the C:\ to C: and it works but it scheduled the check when booting because C has also the Windows SO. Then after the booting and checking, I want to find the log file in the Event Viewer/Windows Logs/Applications/ now I should search for something like Wininit or chdsdk but nothing, also using Powershell and this code line:
get-winevent -FilterHashTable @{logname="*"; starttime="7:00am"} | select timecreated,providername,id,containerlog,message | out-gridview

Gives this screenshot as attached. Found it here: http://kmwoley.com/blog/where-to-find-chkdsk-results-in-vista-windows-7/

UPDATE: I've also added information about my wifi pci card installed, which may cause problems as well. Gonna do some search now about that.
Forget the log file. You will know in a day or 2 whether its fixed.

System Name Old but Gold
Processor A10-6800k : 4,700GHz@1.4v
Motherboard Asus F2A85 V-PRO
Cooling CoolerMaster Gemin 2 S524 with a modded crazy fan on it :D
Memory 8GB G.Skill RipJawZ @2400MHz Dual Channel; 10-12-12-31
Video Card(s) Clud3D R9 290 RoyalAce core@1077 mem@1350
Storage Dual 500GB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Asus VH198T Res 1440x900@75Hz, Aspect Ratio 16:10, 10000000:1 Contrast Ratio
Case Diablotek Predator
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC892 Unlocked DTS and DD :) !!!
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech Generic PS/2 Keyboard !
Software Win 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores 2,810 on Valley 1.0 Custom Preset: Ultra DX11 1080p 4xAA.

About the wi-fi the same happened to me, try window's own drivers if it has them and about the constant freezing in games i'd say check your HDD if you really think that's the cause, any software that lets you monitor S.M.A.R.T will tell you any info you need if it's a bad sector, doing windows chkdsk will only make windows skip that sector but the issue may persist later on.

I had a newly bought HDD have problem with freezing and what not and i actually thought it was my PSU and it ended up being my HDD with 53 bad sectors :"D...

And you can try "chkdsk help"

Or use this command list :), i've used /r a lot in my 53 bad sector days :oops:...

Edit: i use Engenius EUB9603EXT which windows didnt like it's win8.1 drivers and so i let windows install it's own, works good and stopped some weird watchdog exception bsods.

System Name Old Old Old.
Processor AMD X2 5200+ 2.6Ghz @5665+ 2.83GHz 1.4v
Motherboard ASUS M2NPV-VM
Memory Corsair XMS2 PC6400 Dual channel 1GBx2 CL5-5-5-15-20 @ 944MHz DDR2
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon 2600XT 256MB core@857MHz ram@1179MHz GDDR4
Storage alot of 'em
Display(s) ASUS 23" VC239H 1920x1080 IPS 5ms
Audio Device(s) Diamond 5.1
Power Supply Enermax Liberty 400w dual rail
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Logitech G11
RAM timings are wrong. Start there. Is there a reason you are running improper timings?
9-9-9-24-33 is what you want. NOT 11-11-11-28-33.

Why has nobody told him to do this?

Last edited:
VR HMD Medion Erazer
RAM timings are wrong. Start there. Is there a reason you are running improper timings?
9-9-9-24-33 is what you want. NOT 11-11-11-28-33.

Why has nobody told him to do this?
because he has a mix match of 2 kit from 2 brand? on my X58 mobo i had 6gb (3x2) of Corsair Dominator 1600 C9 and 6gb (3x2) of Patriot Viper 1600 C9 tho the timing and freq were right the system had stability issue at C9 and ran fine at C11
assuming his timing were for the same stability reason as me, i thought it was fine, btw lower timing are less stable than higher timing, so it's unlikely that would be the cause of his freezing (tho i might be wrong but i am more about PSU or GPU issue in his case) even with 1600mhz ram, even if for me C11 is only meant for 2400 and higher.

blackcesar

Cool guys thanks for all the support.
I'm bringing some, hopefully, nice updates.

So first I will post here the thread where I found out that my wifi card can be the source of all problems "http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/257693-31-computer-freezes-random-playing-games-help". At the bottom you can read about the wifi-card. So it could all make sense.
Crashing when booting/updating/browsing are all related to possible bad drivers regarding the wifi.
Trying now with the ethernet and so far I was able to play with no problems! Further tests are necessary and I'm out of town for a week so I guess I will you update in the next two weeks. The source seems to be a bad compatibility between a really old wifi-card and newer Windows SO.
Still I'm thinking that hardware components are fine, unless we consider the wifi-card as a hardware component but I don't know if is the component itself or either the drivers related to it.

Also I found a "service_21" error constantly in my event viewer and is located in Windows\System32, which is not good at all.
This is called service_kms, possibly a malware, dunno if it can be source of all
In any case I'm getting closer to the truth, now I can say that RAM/CPU/PSU/GPU are not the source of the problematics, otherwise I would have seen same results even with the ethernet cable.
I found a nice software, it's called Passmark BurnInTest and allows you to test all the components together. As soon as I did it the computer finally crashed and I was happy. Looking at the components tested I noticed only two new ones: audio and internet. So I started from there to realize that I had to extend my range of possibilities to less "valuable" hardwares.

In the meantime, keep writing suggestions because I will read them and then as soon as I'm at home I will start again.

About the wi-fi the same happened to me, try window's own drivers if it has them.
How did you do that?

System Name Old Old Old.
Processor AMD X2 5200+ 2.6Ghz @5665+ 2.83GHz 1.4v
Motherboard ASUS M2NPV-VM
Memory Corsair XMS2 PC6400 Dual channel 1GBx2 CL5-5-5-15-20 @ 944MHz DDR2
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon 2600XT 256MB core@857MHz ram@1179MHz GDDR4
Storage alot of 'em
Display(s) ASUS 23" VC239H 1920x1080 IPS 5ms
Audio Device(s) Diamond 5.1
Power Supply Enermax Liberty 400w dual rail
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Logitech G11
because he has a mix match of 2 kit from 2 brand? on my X58 mobo i had 6gb (3x2) of Corsair Dominator 1600 C9 and 6gb (3x2) of Patriot Viper 1600 C9 tho the timing and freq were right the system had stability issue at C9 and ran fine at C11
assuming his timing were for the same stability reason as me, i thought it was fine, btw lower timing are less stable than higher timing, so it's unlikely that would be the cause of his freezing (tho i might be wrong but i am more about PSU or GPU issue in his case) even with 1600mhz ram, even if for me C11 is only meant for 2400 and higher.
Yes, But the RAM doesn't officially support those timings. I Agree that it should work regardless though I have had my systems freeze in the past from my timings being too high. I think a good way to start would be to get the ram sorted out. :)