• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS AP140R-E1 server boots, but nothing on the screen (Read story)

captainpatje

I would like to tell you a story.

Once there was a little boy, around the age of 14/15, who bought a second hand server, a Asus AP140R-E1, of which he had no idea if it worked or not, and neither did the seller.

When he got back home he tried to turn it on, however, there was no response on the screen. The monitor just went to standby mode. Opening the server up, it appeared the CPU and RAM-modules were missing. The CPU was bought some weeks later, a Pentium 4 2.8Ghz, the RAM-modules were not bought, because I thought they were all the same. So I just put some in.

A relative, working in IT, looked at the server and said it could be 2 things: either the wrong RAM or a wrong CPU.

Now, some years later, I was wondering if I could finally boot up the damn thing. I downloaded a manual from the ASUS website and started looking at compatible CPUs and RAMs.

It seems I do have the right CPU (According to manual: Intel Pentium4 2.8GHz 512KB Clock 21 Bus speed 533) and on the CPU itself it says Pentium 4 2.8Ghz/533/512

The RAM, however, should just be regular RAM (manual says "These sockets support up to 4GB
system memory using 184-pin unbuffered ECC or non-ECC PC3200/
PC2700/PC2100 DDR DIMMs"

This is the RAM I have: http://www.backoffice.be/prod_uk/Tw...winmos_memory_2_gb_(_2_x_1_gb_)_dimm_184-.asp

Could it still be the RAM or CPU? Or could it be something else? The motherboard and components are in perfect condition, no scratches or defects can be seen.

When trying to boot the server up, it does start, the fans start spinning really loud, but there is nothing shown on the screen, like it is not even connected. The monitor doesn't detect it and goes into idle.