• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

XP stuck right before Welcome screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
This one is really pissing me off. I had this machine come in exhibiting random blue screens. First thing I did was run Memtest, which revealed a bad stick of RAM. Installed a new stick, ran Memtest for 12 hours to rule out bad memory controller with no red. Went to boot it normally, and it got to the blue logo screen and won't go any further. The numlock light does not respond to presses and mouse does not move. There is zero hard drive activity about 2 minutes after the screen loads.

Booted to ERD and did CHKDSK - which revealed some file issues but no bad sectors. Then did SFC and found a bunch of corrupted files - repaired and rebooted.. Still does it. Same thing when booting to safe mode. Sticks in same place. Only difference is something is driving the CPU temp up in safe mode, because after a minute or two the fan starts ramping up.

Any ideas? Searching only turned up people who ran into this after cloning drives, but those didn't lock up solid (numlock still responded). Nothing was changed other than the bad RAM stick.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I think it might be time to start over with a quick format and clean install. :ohwell:

I've had repeated hardware failures before and over time it causes so much damage to the system files and registry that there's just no saving it, even with a repair install using the original setup disc. On top of that, XP is a lot more prone to this corruption than later Windows versions. Any chance of installing W7 or W10?

Make sure your data is backed up first.

Last edited:
I think it might be time to start over with a quick format and clean install. :ohwell:

I've had repeated hardware failures before and over time it causes so much damage to the system files and registry that there's just no saving it, even with a repair install using the original setup disc. On top of that, XP is a lot more prone to this corruption than than later Windows versions. Any chance of installing W7 or W10?

Make sure your data is backed up first.

It's a customer's machine and I've never come across this particular issue before. I hate doing clean installs unless it's absolutely completely borked - too many shops wipe/reinstall for any problem because they're too lazy to actually solve the problem. I was going to try a repair install if nobody had any other suggestions. And I always take an image of the drive before I do anything.. Cheap insurance lol!

No chance whatsoever of W10, and I honestly wouldn't feel right charging someone for a W7 license to put on an 11 year old P4 machine.

System Name Ciel
Processor AMD Ryzen R5 5600X
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming B550 Plus
Cooling ID-Cooling 224-XT Basic
Memory 2x 16GB Kingston Fury 3600MHz@3933MHz
Video Card(s) Gainward Ghost 3060 Ti 8GB + Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 8GB
Storage NVMe Kingston KC3000 2TB + NVMe Toshiba KBG40ZNT256G + HDD WD 4TB
Display(s) AOC Q27G3XMN + Samsung S22F350
Case Cougar MX410 Mesh-G
Audio Device(s) Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Core 7.1 Wireless PC
Power Supply Aerocool KCAS-500W
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard VSG Alnilam
Software Windows 11
Linux it is then xD. Or the latin-american/cheap way...

It seems normal damage to boot system files, if the CHKDSK and CD repair can't fix it, the best solution is a clean install.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
It's a customer's machine and I've never come across this particular issue before. I hate doing clean installs unless it's absolutely completely borked - too many shops wipe/reinstall for any problem because they're too lazy to actually solve the problem. I was going to try a repair install if nobody had any other suggestions. And I always take an image of the drive before I do anything.. Cheap insurance lol!

No chance whatsoever of W10, and I honestly wouldn't feel right charging someone for a W7 license to put on an 11 year old P4 machine.
Ok, so it's a customer's machine, I see what you're saying.

Unfortunately, I can't think of anything else to recommend but a clean install and I've been in this situation many times, especially with XP. Do you have the product key and disc for XP to do a clean install? If not, then you can get this utility which may be able to read it off the disc.

www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder

Good one on that image backup. ;)

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
This one is really pissing me off. I had this machine come in exhibiting random blue screens. First thing I did was run Memtest, which revealed a bad stick of RAM. Installed a new stick, ran Memtest for 12 hours to rule out bad memory controller with no red. Went to boot it normally, and it got to the blue logo screen and won't go any further. The numlock light does not respond to presses and mouse does not move. There is zero hard drive activity about 2 minutes after the screen loads.

Booted to ERD and did CHKDSK - which revealed some file issues but no bad sectors. Then did SFC and found a bunch of corrupted files - repaired and rebooted.. Still does it. Same thing when booting to safe mode. Sticks in same place. Only difference is something is driving the CPU temp up in safe mode, because after a minute or two the fan starts ramping up.

Any ideas? Searching only turned up people who ran into this after cloning drives, but those didn't lock up solid (numlock still responded). Nothing was changed other than the bad RAM stick.
have you tried changing the sata cable or another port, is there any clicking that unusual. could be from cable or hdd itself
you may hook the hdd to another pc and back up the data first

maybe the best way it tell your customer that it has a problem so they know it

System Name Fat NCASE
Processor Ryzen R9 3900X
Motherboard ASUS TUF GAMING B550M ZAKU (WIFI) Edition
Cooling Scythe Fuma with 3 SCYTHE Wondersnail 2400RPM + Arctic MX2
Memory Corsair Vengeance 128GB @3200Mhz Cl16 (32GB X 4)
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 3060 StormX ITX 12GB
Storage MX500 4TB SATA + Toshiba MG08 16TB HDD
Display(s) LG 27UL500 4K monitor
Case Jonsbo W2 black
Audio Device(s) Onboard realtek 1200 & Soundblaster G3 usb
Power Supply ASUS ROG STRIX 850W Gundam Edition
Mouse Elecom wireless mouse :)
Keyboard RK100 Royal Kludge
Software Windows 10 HOME
Benchmark Scores Don't know any benchmark. It runs good enough for me.
I would take the precaution to backup any data from the hard drive now. You don't know if this can be a HDD failing or the motherboard sata controller(south bridge) is dying out corrupting the windows install. I had something similar on my pc but with slightly different symptoms where windows xp keep loading and loading but could not get to desktop. That was on an overclock motherboard. Strangely it went away a few months later when I come back to it. I have the PC with that problem now that I reassembled again and shown on the nostalgia thread here because I have no pc now. Just like your systems hang and blue-screen despite at stock. Strong suspicion the motherboard is borked in a way. I tested my HDD on another pc is is healthy with smart test and files are transfered.

You would be lucky if it is just the HDD that need replacement or just needing a clean install. The motherboard problem is much harder to fix. It would be huge pain to solder those surface mount chips. Try re-pasting the chip to cool it down more to see if it helps

Last edited:
System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
Unhook any hardware not essential to run. If it still doesn't boot then the system is corrupt or bad sata cable. Clean install

I've already imaged the drive. I use Reflect, which halts if it finds bad sectors. All of the errors that CHKDSK found were NTFS problems, presumably from when it crashed. I'm fairly certain this isn't a hardware issue because hardware issues are random - this is locking up at the exact same spot every time, which indicates a software glitch.

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
Maybe a poor SATA cable?

I would take the precaution to backup any data from the hard drive now. You don't know if this can be a HDD failing or the motherboard sata controller(south bridge) is dying out corrupting the windows install. I had something similar on my pc but with slightly different symptoms where windows xp keep loading and loading but could not get to desktop. That was on an overclock motherboard. Strangely it went away a few months later when I come back to it. I have the PC with that problem now that I reassembled again and shown on the nostalgia thread here because I have no pc now. Just like your systems hang and blue-screen despite at stock. Strong suspicion the motherboard is borked in a way. I tested my HDD on another pc is is healthy with smart test and files are transfered.

You would be lucky if it is just the HDD that need replacement or just needing a clean install. The motherboard problem is much harder to fix. It would be huge pain to solder those surface mount chips. Try re-pasting the chip to cool it down more to see if it helps

It's not blue-screening, it's just hanging at the logo screen (with the blue background) that comes up right before the welcome screen. The last mini-dump is from the last crash the customer had before he brought it to me. It's not seeing that it didn't start correctly, nor is it seeing that it didn't shut down correctly (not getting an automatic safe mode prompt at boot). It is not creating new mini-dumps, as I have to hard power-off. He did not mention that it hung at boot, so I don't want to tell him until I have exhausted all other possibilities. It certainly wouldn't be the first time someone neglected to mention something but for the time being I have to treat this like it was from something I did.

And I don't repair motherboards. I don't have a reflow station or the equipment to test for faulty components. If I determine a motherboard is borked, they buy a new or used one.

System Name HELLSTAR
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Like I said, it's hanging in the exact same spot every time. Pretty much rules out any hardware.

Well NTFS errors should have a source... if those are not bad sectors... usually it is bad ram or SATA cable in my books... it gets corrupted same way on each boot...

System Name Fat NCASE
Processor Ryzen R9 3900X
Motherboard ASUS TUF GAMING B550M ZAKU (WIFI) Edition
Cooling Scythe Fuma with 3 SCYTHE Wondersnail 2400RPM + Arctic MX2
Memory Corsair Vengeance 128GB @3200Mhz Cl16 (32GB X 4)
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 3060 StormX ITX 12GB
Storage MX500 4TB SATA + Toshiba MG08 16TB HDD
Display(s) LG 27UL500 4K monitor
Case Jonsbo W2 black
Audio Device(s) Onboard realtek 1200 & Soundblaster G3 usb
Power Supply ASUS ROG STRIX 850W Gundam Edition
Mouse Elecom wireless mouse :)
Keyboard RK100 Royal Kludge
Software Windows 10 HOME
Benchmark Scores Don't know any benchmark. It runs good enough for me.
Like I said, it's hanging in the exact same spot every time. Pretty much rules out any hardware.

I would not rule hardware out that quickly. Hardware problems can happen without any blue screen. And they can be silent.

Well NTFS errors should have a source... if those are not bad sectors... usually it is bad ram or SATA cable in my books...

It DID have a bad stick of RAM - that was the initial diagnosis. I did not try to boot to Windows at all before I started. First thing I did was boot Memtest86 because random BSODs are usually from faulty RAM. I replaced the bad stick and THEN I tried to boot it and now have this issue.

it gets corrupted same way on each boot...
I would not rule hardware out that quickly. Hardware problems can happen without any blue screen. And they can be silent.

It's impossible for a bad cable or bad RAM to cause it to hang in the exact same spot every single time. Hardware problems are very rarely reproducible on demand (bad sectors would be one of the exceptions, but that has also already been ruled out). As I said, I suspect whatever this is was a result of the crashes caused by the bad RAM, but as of now it is no longer related to hardware.

Last edited:
System Name HELLSTAR
Mouse Razer Basilisk
I remember XP often got screwed up like that while OC'ing, it could not recover itself, way too dumb... That's why I gladly ditched it. It is a faulty driver/system DLL that is inevitably with bad crc and causes BSOD by doing haywire...try to do sfc /scannow, that's for system core... if it is a driver dll, you are screwed. NUKE the OS...

I remember XP often got screwed up like that while OC'ing, it could not recover itself, way too dumb... That's why I gladly ditched it. It is a faulty driver/system DLL that is inevitably with bad crc and causes BSOD by doing haywire...try to do sfc /scannow, that's for system core... if it is a driver dll, you are screwed. NUKE the OS...

No offense dude but did you read my OP at all? You're telling me everything I already did. And this is a Dell Optiplex with a stock BIOS. It isn't overclocked.

System Name HELLSTAR
Mouse Razer Basilisk
No offense dude but did you read my OP at all? You're telling me everything I already did. And this is a Dell Optiplex with a stock BIOS. It isn't overclocked.

It happens from getting old, bad contact in old DIMM, cold joints etc... so the corruption occurs... due to that ECC RAM exists actually. You sure the RAM stick was really BAD? Or you just bent the board while changing sticks, thus fixing the cold joint for a while? As I said SFC fixes only system dll's not the 3rd parity, like GPU, Sound etc driver that are not accessed all the time... if such corrupted DLL loads, it writes into wrong memory space and thus again it can screw things up... it is XP.

It happens from getting old, bad contact in old DIMM, cold joints etc... so the corruption occurs... due to that ECC RAM exists actually. You sure the RAM stick was really BAD? Or you just bent the board while changing sticks, thus fixing the cold joint for a while? As I said SFC fixes only system dll's not the 3rd parity, like GPU, Sound etc driver that are not accessed all the time... if such corrupted DLL loads, it writes into wrong memory space and thus again it can screw things up... it is XP.

It doesn't take ECC, it's standard unbuffered PC2-4200. I've tried removing all the RAM and switching it around, and running only one stick. It's NOT hardware related. Please stop trying to convince me that it is.

System Name HELLSTAR
Mouse Razer Basilisk
It doesn't take ECC, it's standard unbuffered PC2-4200. I've tried removing all the RAM and switching it around, and running only one stick. It's NOT hardware related. Please stop trying to convince me that it is.

Sorry :D I am putting a curse upon you... anyways you had a hardware error RAM and have a random black screen and a corruption afterwards, and you suggest it is still software? Nada won't happen.... The ECC ram was just a hint why they exist as such... for these rare matters once in a year.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
@taz420nj Reading your OP again, I think you should try to rule out more bad hardware, even though you're convinced it's not.

Simply grab anoher HDD, install XP on it and see if it boots properly. If not, then you can take it from there. Won't even take very long. Then, load the the chipset, sound and video drivers and see if it still works properly.

Also, before you do this, it's a good idea to clear the CMOS RAM (as in remove the battery and load defaults) since this can sometimes get corrupted in subtle ways which bork the PC without any of the settings looking wrong. Then load sensible defaults and manually configure it. You'll still likely have to do that clean install to fix the software side of the problem.

I'm sorry that there are no shortcuts here with this type of problem and it's gonna take time. If the motherboard is bad then your customer might as well chuck the computer and get a new one as it's long obsolete. Certainly it doesn't appear to be worth all that time to work on it, from your perspective as you're charging for the work.

Sorry :D I am putting a curse upon you... anyways you had a hardware error RAM and have a random black screen and a corruption afterwards, and you suggest it is still software? Nada won't happen.... The ECC ram was just a hint why they exist as such... for these rare matters once in a year.

You have it totally backwards. The hardware problem HAS BEEN SOLVED. It is NOT giving random BSODs anymore, it is getting to the EXACT SAME SPOT and hanging every single time. There is absolutely NO WAY that an unsolved hardware problem (again aside from bad sectors which again have already been ruled out) can cause it to hang in the EXACT same spot EVERY SINGLE TIME. This corruption WAS caused by the ORIGINAL hardware problem. The ONLY way a problem can be repeatable with 100% certainty in the EXACT SAME SPOT EVERY SINGLE TIME is if it is a glitch in software.

And the fact that it happens in Safe Mode too rules out any 3rd party drivers because those don't load in safe mode.

@taz420nj Reading your OP again, I think you should try to rule out more bad hardware, even though you're convinced it's not.

Simply grab anoher HDD, install XP on it and see if it boots properly. If not, then you can take it from there. Won't even take very long. Then, load the the chipset, sound and video drivers and see if it still works properly.

Also, before you do this, it's a good idea to clear the CMOS RAM (as in remove the battery and load defaults) since this can sometimes get corrupted in subtle ways which bork the PC without any of the settings looking wrong. Then load sensible defaults and manually configure it. You'll still likely have to do that clean install to fix the software side of the problem.

I'm sorry that there are no shortcuts here with this type of problem and it's gonna take time. If the motherboard is bad then your customer might as well chuck the computer and get a new one as it's long obsolete. Certainly it doesn't appear to be worth all that time to work on it, from your perspective as you're charging for the work.

It loads alternative boots just fine. It loaded Hiren's via PXE to do the initial diagnostics (edit: I just tried, it also loads MiniXP just fine), it loaded Reflect via PXE to do the drive image, it loaded ERD via live USB to run the check utilities.. It is NOT hardware.

Last edited:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Did it boot MiniXP off the original HDD? Did you try loading the drivers?

Sorry, I know that you're convinced that the hardware isn't faulty - and it may well not be - but you haven't ruled out everything. Those other things you've tried do suggest it's ok, but you have to totally eliminate it as a suspect before you move on. You do that by following the advice that I gave you in post 21. As you've already taken an image of the HDD it will be trivial for you to try this out and eliminate the suspect. This is especially important as it's an ancient machine so hardware faults are quite likely; you already found bad memory, so there could be more faults.

Also, you must remember that we're not sitting here with the machine in front of us, so we can't get a sense of it from the subtleties of its behaviour, unlike yourself, so you've got to work with us if you want us to help you succesfully.

I'm not going to waste an hour RE-ruling out something that I know is not the problem because I've already ruled it out. It is a problem in WINDOWS. Why can't someone just help me figure out what it is? And I realize the machine is not in front of you... Thats why I described exactly what it is doing: It gets to EXACTLY the same spot (the blue logo screen right before it says "Windows is starting up") then hangs every single time. Not a BSOD, not a restart, it just hangs. A hardware fault can NOT hang the system in the same exact spot every single time. Bad sectors have been scanned for and not detected on the hard drive, the SMART test passed. I have rescanned the drive with CHKDSK /f /r, and re-run SFC, and no further corruption was found.

It is a problem with Windows. Period. I have tried enabling boot logging to figure out what is hanging it, but the log is not written to disk until the registry finishes loading - which means it doesn't get written since it is hanging sometime DURING the registry load. Catch-22.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.