1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

24 Pin P1 Connector Wires getting extremely hot

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by dustyshiv, Jul 17, 2010.

1. dustyshiv

dustyshiv

Thanks Received:
    Guys,

I had a Corsair TX850 burn out its wires on the 24 pin P1 connector. The wires especially of the 4pin connector that comes along with the 20 pin connector. The insulation on the wires just burnt off. This was powering 6 X 9800GT Green cards. I know it was overloaded. So I RMAed the PSU and got a new one yesterday. The strange thing Im noticing is that though its powering only 2 9800GT Green Cards and one 9600GSO card which is powered by the 6pin PCIe connector, the wires on the 4pin connector tht goes to the mobo are extremely hot to touch. The cards are folding 24/7 full throttle.

I dont know wht I'm doing wrong. Seriously I don't wanna RMA this PSU as well as I had to fight with the retailer to get him to accept the PSU for RMA even though Corsair agreed to replace the first PSU.:mad:

I forgot to mention...The P1 socket on the mobo was slightly burnt and there were charred remains inside the holes. I used a wooden toothpick and some compressed air and cleared out the mess.
    But could this be a reason?

On my primary system, I have 2 9800GTX, 1 9800GT, PCIe sound card and PCI Tvtuner card all powered by HX850. Even when folding on all cards, the wires on the 4pin connector are warm to touch.

Cheers,
    Shiv
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. Laurijan

Thanks Received:
    How hot is the connector when you dont fold - anything out of the ordinary?
  3. dustyshiv

dustyshiv

Thanks Received:
    When I dont fold, the wires and connectors are cool or utmost warm to touch. Even if I fold on the card thats drawing power from the PCIe connector, the wires become very hot to touch.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Laurijan

Thanks Received:
    When the first PSU overloaded did it somehow damage the 24pin connector on the motherboard too?
  5. dustyshiv

dustyshiv

Thanks Received:
    Yeah. It was slightly burnt. But I powered the same rig with another PSU and it ran fine. I am attaching a picture of the connector

[​IMG]
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Laurijan

Thanks Received:
    I wouldnt trust that mobo anymore :(

I guess the last overload bricked it. Maybe the PSU that ran fine had somesort of different inner working that allowed it to still work on that mobo without issues - just speculating.
  7. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Here's what I am thinking, possible that the 9800GT "Green" aren't exactly a folder's card. Meaning multiple cards could cause this problem if not using an 8 pin?

That's just my speculation, meaning trying to pull too much current over 4 wires at such a small guage.

EDIT:

Maybe better off using non "Green" editions with PCIe molex adapters?
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
    dustyshiv says thanks.
  8. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Dusty,

have you tried one card only to see if it still gets that hot?
  9. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    I'd RMA the Mobo, if you can.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. dr emulator (madmax)

dr emulator (madmax)

Thanks Received:
    looks like your 12v in according to this http://pinouts.ru/Power/atx_v2_pinout.shtml pinout i had a similar thing happen when my hyper psu's capacitors leaked.
    if i were you i'd clean the pins with some fine glass paper as i doubt toothpicks are going to cut it
    you will have overloaded that 12 volt line with all them cards, and as someone said you may need a new motherboard :eek:
    dustyshiv says thanks.
  11. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    had the same thing happen to me with 2 8800GT's folding one was running 1.3v@800/2000/2000 the other was 1.1v@700/1800/2000(c/s/m(mem is th DDR rate)) The board had to be replaced and the psu was unstable after that. The 4pin was added to th 20pin to power the PCI-E lanes so it seems that the green cards won't work because of them taking all the power from th PCI-E slot. From what i have found on the "green" cards is they overload the bus (in power demands) at stock. So if that is true with 6 of them your asking way too much or maybe even with just 2 of them.maybe try to trade your "green" cards for some of the older ones that take the 6pins
    scaminatrix and dustyshiv say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Laurijan

Thanks Received:
    After thinking a little what could cause the heat on the 24 pin cable I thought that maybe because the pins in the 24 pin connector are so badly burned they dont contuct very good anymore - maybe because they now have a higher resistance and thus heat up quite fast transfering the heat to the 24 pin cable.
  13. dustyshiv

dustyshiv

Thanks Received:
    Cleaned the socket again with a tiny pin. Had some charred stuff still inside it. Folding on one 9600GSO as of now. The wires feel warm.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    Is the 9800GT you mentioned above also a green edition?
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  15. dustyshiv

dustyshiv

Thanks Received:
    Yup! All 9800GT tht I have are green edition cards.
    scaminatrix says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. segalaw19800

segalaw19800

Thanks Received:
    Replace the board before it cook all your stuff
  17. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    i think there might be some problem wit your gfx card. is it that the card and that two burnt pins were connected in series electrically by the previous PSU? you see, when things are connected in series, both of them are made to draw the same amount of current. so if one of the things in series is drawing around 16 Amps, then the other will have to draw 16 Amps too. thus the weaker one which cant take 16A will get hot and damaged.
  18. Beertintedgoggles

Beertintedgoggles

Thanks Received:
    If you're any good with a soldering iron you could always solder some more +12V wires to the pins on the back of your motherboard. That solution is only if you insist on keeping the green cards and that motherboard....
  19. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    Interesting... I've definately learnt something from this thread ;)
  20. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    What motherboard are you using?

Video cards, even the ones with the 6-pin power adapter, draw power from the motherboard slot. If you have multiple graphics cards pulling all from the same source(the 24-pin connector) it could start to get very hot.

Plus, I'm guessing the 9800GT Green editions probably exceed the PCI-E power spec, and pull more power from the slot than the spec allows. This probably wouldn't be a problem for one card, but 2-4 running full blast 24/7 probably would be.
    dustyshiv says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  21. dustyshiv

dustyshiv

Thanks Received:
    Im using the Asus P6T6 WS Mobo. This board ran fine with 1 9800GTX and 2 9800GT for four months without no issues. Then I swapped the 9800GTX and added 3 more 9800GT. Ran fine for a month before I ran into this. Then I RMAed the Corsair 850TX PSU. When I connected the new PSU, the wires on the 4 pin connector on P1 get extremely hot to touch even with two cards folding.

Just took the board to the dealer from where I bought this mobo. The service tech there says its a physical problem and tht there's a 10% chance of Asus replacing the board.:cry:

Any suggestions guys??:(
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    Stop abusing your hardware? ;)

In all seriousness thou, you were asking far to much using all those green cards like that. I recommend you be a bit more careful in the future with your hardware to prevent this.
    dustyshiv says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. exodusprime1337

exodusprime1337

Thanks Received:
    This is why i cover my mobo's in conformal coating, litterally every mobo i've ever bought has never died for that reason, i plug dummy cards and plugs into every single hole in the board, memory plugs and just dip the whole board, when it's done the super clean board is now completely protected from dust and particles that could cause the board to short. It also stays cooler ironically because the urethane coating moves heat reletively well. I used to do this because of ln2 and condensation, but now i just do it out of practice, i've never had a video card or mobo die on me andthat's a fact.
    dustyshiv says thanks.
  24. dustyshiv

dustyshiv

Thanks Received:
    Will be more careful...As the saying goes "We learn from experiences." I learnt it the hard way though!!
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I wouldn't be too happy to learn it that way thou. Makes me think about the bad capacitor thread. :shadedshu
    Crunching for Team TPU