1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

25 Character Requirement on all Posts

Discussion in 'Comments & Feedback' started by Ravenas, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    I've been seeing a lot of meaningless posts on TPU since I've joined this community. Whether it be trollers or just just people getting infractions/warnings for 1 word posts. Therefore, I think there should be a 25 character requirement on all posts. This will stop trollers and useless 1 word posts from occurring.

I think this would be a great idea as I've seen other forums use this policy and it cuts down on mindless posting.

Kursah says thanks.
  2. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    True...but it won't stop all trolls tho...I could see them just magnifying what they do to meet the requirements, I think those too lazy to do so will be deterred and anything that even deters a little bit would be a good idea!

Good idea Rav! :toast:

3. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Well you can't stop everyone, but I still think it would be a good idea. 25 isn't too little or too much.

4. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I agree, 25 is a good number, and could totally defeat a lot of those one word posts everyone is guilty of from time to time, but some abuse way too much. I'd like to see something come from this Rav, so definately keep pushing for it!

:toast:

5. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Are Kursah and I the only ones who are for this idea?

6. xfire

xfire New Member

Thanks Received:
    There's a glitch to that, all I have to is hit the space bar 25 times and my post will qualify.

7. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's a recreational forum, not a business exchange or anything (except for the FS/FT forum). We're just discussing computer stuff (or whatever else), I don't see why one word posts or even meaningless posts are really a problem unless somebody is doing it to the point it's spamming. "Trollers" don't use one word posts usually, I wish they would.

GLD says thanks.
  8. a111087

a111087

Thanks Received:
    No deal! :pimp:

:laugh:

9. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I dont know...how does a link qualify here? I have found often a link is a complete answer to some peoples questions.

Seems like it would be hard to control in only some instances rather than a forum wide rule.

Just my two pennies tossed in here

Either way tho, Im up for it , if its does come to fruition!

10. thoughtdisorder

thoughtdisorder New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't know about that. After all, some people talk alot but never really say ANYTHING. Some people can sum it up in just a few words. One word is never enough, granted. But a limit? Do we really need another constraint? Food for thought.

11. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    We dont need a constraint like that and even if it is done on other forums doesnt mean we should follow suit. One of the main reasons ive stayed here is because of the relative casual nature something that siuts me down to a tee.

12. GLD

GLD

Thanks Received:
    The length of some ones post doesn't bother me. It's the contents that is important. IDK about a 25 character requirement. How could someone get there point across spelling out STFU NOOB? :confused: That would be less then 25 characters. I guess they would have to fill in the spaces with more curse words. :laugh:

13. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I totally agree with you guys that disagree with this...but I also see the other end, and maybe a little bit less hassle for the mods, sure some are stricter about smaller, pointless posts than others, but in the end, most of those should be left to General Nonsense imo. Some can summarize with very few words, I on the other hand can waste many words trying to get out a simple point lol! Maybe someone like me should have a max char limit? :D

I think in some areas of the forums, some users do abuse space that could be better suited to on-topic or helpful posts, sure we're all guilty of it, and it does add part of a personality to TPU that is more laxed, but some go too far...ya know what they say...one bad apple. I'm not usually one for new regulations/rules, but this one could be useful instead of hindering, 25 characters really isn't that many, and most helpful posts will go beyond that if they are truly helpful (I did say MOST), and in the end, at least why I come here is to help others and recieve help...not a place better on the web for that imo.

:toast:

14. thoughtdisorder

Thanks Received:
    I totally hear ya^^. I would like to add to that we can all see right through BS posts. We don't need some constraint on wordcount to figure out what is meaningful and what is not. All due respect to everyone, I'll be damned if I'm gonna sit and count how many words I've typed before posting. Seriously, get a grip.

15. flashstar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like a good idea in practice, but what if you can answer a question thoroughly in 24 characters? I personally have not seen that many one or two word answers, but what's wrong with 1 or 2 word answers? Unless you are swearing or trolling I don't see anything wrong with saying "Good job, good luck!" as long as it's relevant.

thoughtdisorder says thanks.
  16. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    maybe less than that. sometimes people ask a simple question or list of questions that can be answered easily with a minor number of characters.

EG.

1. no
    2. yes
    3. very bad idea.

In a way this would help.... but in another it wouldnt. Many times people quote a post and just say 'i agree' - this is valid. it backs up a previous persons longer post and gets the point across. with this people would just exploit it and spam spacebars or symbols at the end of each short post, it would encourage as much bad behaviour as it stops.

[I.R.A]_FBi and thoughtdisorder say thanks.
  17. thoughtdisorder

Thanks Received:
    ^^Thank you gentlemen, exactly what I would have said if I had not had more than enough rum n' cokes.........:)

And Flashstar, I'm thanking you again for Teddy's quote! That man was and is, an icon. Here's one from Teddy:

"A Man, a plan, a canal, Panama." (Now, read that backwards!)

18. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It's bad in some cases. Sometimes your comment stays below 25-characters: "Nice, I like it". <- sure you don't 'like' such comments but you really don't want to be hostile to such posters, right? I mean for new users coming to comment on news threads if it shows a "You need at least 25 characters", it becomes a put-off. Same applies to Case-galleries. "9/10 soo awesome!!", "I'm against this idea."

19. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    It's not going to help, if there's one thing I've learned it is that people will always find away to make useless posts. Either to inflate their post count or to some other ridiculous end. Yes I'm a terrible cynic.

20. From_Nowhere New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've seen this used on other forums. It doesn't work, and most of the time it encourages people to make useless posts.

Example:

Before 25 character: Sweet

After: Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!!!!!

What is more annoying?

Triprift and btarunr say thanks.
  21. technicks

technicks

Thanks Received:
    It won't work. And i think it is a bad idea.
    Sorry Rav.

22. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    oh not to mention posts that include pics. most of those have next to no wording, yet the pic itself can say a lot (benchmark threads, for example)

23. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    No offense. But this is proof that this implementing new requirement won't stop all meaningless posting.

I understand that it has it's disadvantages also. Although, by doing nothing means nothing happens with this problem. I also understand that most members post correctly.

But here's one thing I know for a fact. No members who get away with meanless posting/trolling will ever be caught unless another member who gets pissed and reports them. There simply aren't nearly enough admins on this forum to watch all threads all of the time. Therefore, this requirement will help to combat the lack of admins.

Or, you could just do nothing and say this requirement won't do anything for the forums. :p

24. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    So get a group of friends and start a block watch program and start reporting the insufficient posts then!?!?:D

25. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The state of the forums isn't as bad as you're projecting it to be. Completely nonsensical posts are always reported as spam and deleted. As for:

"Sweet.", "yay" etc, they won't stop. In fact this 25ch limit will adversely affect the inflow of new users. Users almost start off with posts such as "I like it"...and then they develop as forum members. A 25-limit will in turn be hostile. At least I can say for sure, it's a useless method to fight spam, "I like it" in news forums or "9/10 Awesome mod" in case galleries do not come under spam. I don't count them as spam.