1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

2560x1440 IPS 27" LED Monitor on the Cheap!

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Home Theater' started by erocker, Mar 13, 2012.

1. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Have you ordered/ are you ordering the pcbank one from the "red-cap" seller? I think that's the one that I'm going to order hopefully tomorrow. I'll post back if I do get it ordered

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  2. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Sorry missed it earlier...why is erocker getting a different one now?

3. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Dont want to answer for him but he said:

Wrigleyvillain says thanks.
  4. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, I've been eyeing these monitors for a while now and am ready to make the purchase on a minute's notice. Before I do though, I wanted to see if anyone local (NYC) would be interested in buying one with me for a slight bulk discount. Someone over at HardForum managed to buy 2 monitors for $540 ($270/ea) from red-cap; I may or may not be able to get it down to $260 each, but $270 is still better than $290. Obviously the more buyers the cheaper the final cost will be, but I personally don't want to deal with more than 3 buyers at the same time as the amount of money being handled will be rather substantial. If anybody is interested, shoot me a PM.

This is the exact monitor I'm looking to purchase. Note that this version does not have tempered glass.

PS - I've already gotten an approval from erocker to make this post/proposal. Thanks e! :toast:

5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd go in with you but I'm pretty dead set on getting a "perfect pixel" version.

6. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    If I can really get a non-perfect monitor for $250-$260, it would make the price difference too steep compared to a pixel perfect unit (for me). I checked out most (if not all) the pixel perfect monitors on eBay, and it seems none of them have the option to make an offer, or if it does, the base price is too high. The PCBank you mentioned is $300, which is a damn good deal in itself.

If I can get enough people to pool in for a pixel perfect batch, I wouldn't mind contacting some sellers to ask their best price. I'd imagine it would take significantly more buyers (4-6) to get the price of the PCBank down to $280/unit. Last I checked, erocker you're not a Yankee. ;)

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  7. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    I bought the Achevia Shimian from BIGCLOTHCRAFT off Ebay this afternoon, the 270 lite version, if it has 1-2 dead pixels I am ok with that. Cost me 291.00 free ship and the dude has good reviews, so hopefully it works out

8. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    I went ahead and purchased the "perfect pixel" off ebay a moment ago. Hopefully it'll work out well and without issue :)

9. GSG-9

GSG-9

Thanks Received:
    Send me a pm if you go in for a pp batch of q270's, I would buy a 2nd.

10. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    It makes no sense to stray from local-group purchases only. The follow-up shipping that you would have to pay would negate the $30-$50 savings.

11. Millennium

Millennium New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry to bring this up again. Can anyone tell me the best deal on one of these? I can fix the stand later don't mind, also dont need speakers and probably prefer non glossy if the price is right.

I have a 5870 but will live without BIOS screens for this price. Also recommendations on a good value replacement stand would be cool

thanks!

12. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    If you're adamant on a matte screen, try these guys and make an offer. They'll most likely take $290, anything lower and you'd probably be wasting your time.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-ACHIEVA..._Monitors&hash=item231b6f5aaa#ht_14673wt_1163
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-ACHIEVA..._Monitors&hash=item4d006288ee#ht_11097wt_1396

Millennium says thanks.
  13. Millennium

Millennium New Member

Thanks Received:
    Do you think a matt screen is important? I don't have a light source behind my screen so it doesn't matter too much and if gloss is otherwise better then I should get gloss :)

14. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Matte, without any doubt. Glossy makes my eyes rage, you'll always have some kind of light source anyway.

Millennium says thanks.
  15. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Alright, last call for ONE person in NYC who wants to get an Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite for $270. I received an offer of $540 for 2 monitors, so if nobody wants to pair up, I'm buying both and tossing one on Craigslist for a slight profit. :)

I will leave this offer up until an hour or so before the offer expires, which is in about 40 hours.

16. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    I received my Perfect Pixel from Red-cap Friday afternoon, and I've been met with disappointment thus far. Issues:

1) Stand is horrible, but I knew that going in
    -Seller reassured me that it won't collapse, which it did already (I caught it though because I was right in front of it)

2) There are pieces of plastic (I think plastic) floating around inside the monitor
    -Seller says that it's very common, I don't know how

3) The panel is lose and almost detached from the bezel on all but 1 side (perhaps the pieces I hear floating around were what connected it...? Feels very cheap
    -Seller hasn't responded yet about that

4) No adapter for US outlets packaged with it, though listing said it came with adapter. Came with 2 pin plug used elsewhere in the world
    -Seller said to get an adapter from either ebay or a local store
    -I needed it, so I did go to Radioshack and get one. I knew it would work then....

and this brings me to the major problem

5) The monitor won't turn on! The power brick won't even light up when it's plugged in, and then most definitely the monitor won't turn on.

This is what i'm facing right now. I haven't heard back yet about no power; I'm thinking it's Sunday in Korea now. I hope something will come of this. I messaged him asking to send me a new power brick/converter since the one I have it not working properly. I hope it comes.

As of now, i have no working monitor, so it sucks. Or am I missing something to make this bad boy work properly?

edit: atleast the shipping wasn't bad...

17. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    -manofthem

Sorry to hear about your experience, this is why I buy from companies like Amazon or Newegg, 30 day refund policy if I don't like it heh. But yeah, 1440p tempts a lot of people to risk it. Key word, risk it, some win some lose.

manofthem says thanks.
  18. erocker

Thanks Received:
    What kind of voltage is the power brick listed as?

19. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    It's 220V, aka the better voltage.

20. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Input: 100-240VAC 50/60hz 200VA
    Output: 24VDC 5A

I'm assuming that's 220 like entropy said

21. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like the thing got thrown around one too many times during shipping. I don't recall hearing anyone else with the same problems. I hear these sellers don't pay return shipping if the monitor is defective, but please keep us posted. red-cap is the seller who offered me $540 for 2 monitors, but I may pay more to buy from another seller if he ends up screwing you over.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  22. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    That's the specs of the power brick that comes with the "not cheap" version of the monitor. It's weird that that it still says 100-240V when it needs an adapter when it goes to 110V countries LOL

23. erocker

Thanks Received:
    That power brick should be fine. You have a 7-14 day return policy. The monitor came damaged, get a new one from the seller.

24. neliz

neliz MSI Rep

Thanks Received:
    One size fits all, the only thing you have to do to "localize" it is to supply a proper cable.

25. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    The power brick has a little light on the top of it, presumably that lights up when it has power, like many power adapters. That light never comes on, and neither does the monitor. i'm thinking that the power brick is not working, not sure how. What else would prevent that from lighting up or turning on?

I'll have a better idea of what's what when I get a response from the seller. i'm not counting on today to hear back, but I hope so by Monday. I'll post back with any news from the seller.