1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

2560x1440 IPS 27" LED Monitor on the Cheap!

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Home Theater' started by erocker, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Ross211

Ross211

Thanks Received:
    Best of luck to you manofthem. I've heard a few bad issues some people have had right at the start when receiving their poor man 1440p monitors... I'm really grateful for not having bad luck with my Catleap. I've had it for about 2 months now and it has been rock stable (knocking wood on desk right now, seriously)

You would think that the display will work considering it is a "Perfect Pixel" one. I'm thinking your AC Adapter (power brick) is bad also. It may be that your monitor was tested using a different AC Adapter when they tested for dead pixels. It could just be the AC Adapter. I would hope it is considering shipping costs will be lighter for ya.

I've heard there are some knock off 1440p monitors being sold at Micro Center for around $400. I'm getting ready to move up to the Kansas City area within this month - I'll be able to scope out the Micro Center in Overland Park and see if they have any. I'm probably going to purchase another knock off 1440p display at Micro Center. It would be awesome to buy an in store warranty and deal with any issues locally, rather than shipping half way across the world.

manofthem says thanks.
  2. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Those aren't knockoffs, just one of the many using LG S-IPS A- panels but sold a little more according to US market prices. The benefits of buying from MC are pretty obvious, but even more so because those monitors have HDMI and VGA.

3. Luke

Thanks Received:
    My Yamakasi 27" screen just arrived today

Haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet

Sorry about cellphone pic
    [​IMG]

4. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    That box looks shot, unless you've opened it already.

5. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    My box looked rough too. I hope it works out well for you!!!

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  6. Luke

Thanks Received:
    Yeah i have opened it to make sure it was not damaged
    All looks good just have not had a chance to plug it in

Edit: Just got home and unpacked the screen and all looks good i haven't seen any dead pixels yet

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  7. Ross211

Ross211

Thanks Received:
    I consider the Catleap I have to be a knock off of the Dell U2711 and the Apple 27'' Cinema Display. I would also define all the other 1440p displays that use a very similar panel as the $1000+ 1440p displays knock offs.

Maybe I should use a different term to describe these poor man 1440p monitors? :D Not trying to argue, just letting you know what I think about the inferior build quality and other cons on these displays.

8. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    A knockoff is a copy and these aren't copies, but I do know what you're trying to say.

Ross211 says thanks.
  9. Huddo93

Huddo93 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well you basically said it yourself, they aren't knock offs (that would mean they are trying to copy Dell), they are inferior 1440p monitors with lower build quality. That would be how I would describe them :) and to be honest, for some people (if not most people) the cheaper build quality and panel allows it to be within there price range. Unfortunately $1k is about 5 weeks of pay for my casual job at the moment due to full time study. So $350 is alot more enticing even if the quality is a lot lower with a chance of defects.

Just my opinion :)

10. Millennium

Millennium New Member

Thanks Received:
    Do any of these still have a scaler? I wouldn't want to buy one even at this price without, because I couldn't game in 1440 res. Maybe my ATI card could do it I guess.

Also I am kind of thinking of a gloss one because I really don't have light behind me on the PC. What would you guys suggest as the best deal for a gloss one? No speakers, don't care about the stand would be replacing/fixing, would prefer higher Hz and possibly tested / no dead pixels depending on price delta

cheers all!

11. Ross211

Ross211

Thanks Received:
    Your GPU will handle the scaling. You can run these at a lower res than 2560x1440 but its not good to run any LCD out of its native resolution. If you get one run everything at 2560x1440 if possible.

About the knock off ordeal - I guess these would be considered knock offs if they were cosmetically / physically the same as the Dell or Apple Cinema Display... which they aren't :p

How about I stick with the definition of poor man's 1440p monitor?

12. Millennium

Millennium New Member

Thanks Received:
    Apparently the gloss screen is like a sheet mirror so I have made an offer on a Matt one. I have offered a rather generous $305 shipped - this is because I had been refused equiv to $314 shipped from another seller.

Thinking about this I should have tried $290 shipped first! nevermind.

13. Millennium

Millennium New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm having no luck with my offers. This guy said he can't do near $290 and I should buy from someone else!
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-ACHIEVA-...t_14673wt_1163

Does anyone suggest someone who will certainly take an offer of around $290? I don't care who as long as their feedback is high... thanks!

14. Maxforcess New Member

Thanks Received:
  15. kylew

kylew New Member

Thanks Received:
    I bought 4x of the tempered glass shimians from fastterakorea, I negotiated an offer of $290 per screen shipped to the UK, they *might* accept $290 for one, but I think it's doubtful any will really.

Millennium says thanks.
  16. Huddo93

Huddo93 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi all,

I've noticed there is the two brands, ACHIEVA Shimian and then the Yamakasi Catleap which seems to be priced very similar.

Apart from the different asthetic, is either of the two monitors better than the other? ie less problems, fewer dead pixels, scratches and dust?

Would really like to give one of them a go, just not sure which one is better.

Cheers.

Random Murderer says thanks.
  17. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    I just noticed that my employer has a discounts program with Ergotron so I can get the 33-310-060 stand for only $25 (plus shipping I assume). It says <24" but whatever, I'm sure one of these monitors will fit just fine.

Has anybody bought the ones from MicroCenter yet? Are they the best option for features and warranty?

18. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Features, they are about the same. Some are better than others. Warranty definitely as if it breaks you can just return it to the store. The monitors on ebay pretty much don't have a warranty.

theJesus says thanks.
  19. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I really want to get one of these. I just don't know if it is worth it. I would have to change my entire desk set up. Move everything just to fit a 27 inch screen.

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. SnoopKatt

SnoopKatt

Thanks Received:
    Oh man, my dad has always wanted something like this, but the price has been a turnoff. He'll be thrilled to see this :)

21. Luke

Thanks Received:
    I just order 2 more of these screens to replace my 24" eyefinity setup
    So far very happy with the first one i got

22. Millennium

Millennium New Member

Thanks Received:
    Finally got my catleap :) I got it from a guy in the UK who now wants the 120hz version. It comes with an aftermarket stand, and was £220 so I am very happy with this deal - if I would have got stung by customs as this guy did I have just saved around £90.

having just seen the colour reproduction of an IPS at work I am very much looking forward to it - the colours really are much better :) Roll on Saturday - and thanks to TPU for letting me know about this bargain!

23. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    There's a 120Hz version?!

How is the price a turnoff? These are as cheap as 27" TN panel monitors. The turnoff for me would be the warranty or lack of it.

24. Sinzia

Thanks Received:
    I might be going out to the Cambridge, MA Microcenter tomorrow and I'll see if they have one out on display, as well as the smaller 1080p LG IPS display. 27's too big for me, with triple screen gaming in mind.

theJesus says thanks.
  25. Millennium

Millennium New Member

Thanks Received:
    erocker!

The original ones got to around 100hz or a bit more

then they changed the board out and now they are like 62hz

someone is making a board mod for 120hz or a bit less but they will cost more and not available yet. The old ones are still the best way to get this. There may be an upgrade available in future (yeaaah)

erocker says thanks.