1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

2560x1440 IPS 27" LED Monitor on the Cheap!

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Home Theater' started by erocker, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wall mount fixes pretty much all your cons, see picture above of my QNIX. My wall mount makes the monitor lean forward just a notch, and no tempered glass glare, even head on this QNIX seems to have a different kind of glass, because it does not reflect hardly at all compared to my old Catleap. Also, QNIX out of color calibration is amazing compared to my old Catleap. I haven't tweaked my QNIX at all actually. xD

2. animal007uk

Thanks Received:
    My catleap has turned up and first impression is WOW and i havent even had chance to mess with anything yet., I got the very basic version with just one DVI Dual link connector but i do not need HDMI or DP so i am happy.

3. Millennium

Millennium New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can anyone suggest a colour profile for a stock catleap? I only found one online and it was awful (despite a comment saying it was amazing lol!)

Cheers

edit: related to next comment, is there a profile about for a monitor using the same panel? Would that be worth a try? Those pro panel profiles might be better....

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  4. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dell's U3011 colour profile might work well for you, I used it on my old Catleap and it made the colors a little better.

HTC and Millennium say thanks.
  5. HTC

HTC

Thanks Received:
    Where can i obtain this profile?

6. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Getting my hands on one of these tomorrow! Specifically a perfect pixel Yamakasi Catleap. I need a video card w/ dual-DVI output though... so I can't use it and give feedback just yet.

7. animal007uk

Thanks Received:
    Did anyone get strange items in the box with there screen? I ended up with 2 cloth things that you can use as a hat/cap/bandana/ and lots more lmao.

I also got this card with what looks to be a code on the back, i guess i need to goto the web address and use the code but no idea what its for.

8. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm

Lot's of profiles to test out and try.

Edit: Just click on the name for the profile to download it. Also, if you don't know how to install an ICC profile: Start, in search type color management, open that up, check the box, browse your downloads and click that particular ICC profile and hit ok, you should see your screen change, to go back simply remove it or uncheck the box. xD I switch my profiles all the time just to have something different.

Edit Jan 25 11pm EST, HTC did you find an ICC profile you prefer over others? Or will you still be leaving it at monitor default out of box settings?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
    Millennium and HTC say thanks.
  9. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    My monitor arrived yesterday and I finally got it up and running today. I thought my 5770 didn't have dual-link DVI so I went to borrow a friend's GT240. But as it turns out, my R5770 Hawk does have dual-link DVI. I didn't know until I yanked out the card to replace it with the GT240 and saw the pin configuration and thought it was dual-link DVI out. A quick Google and I was right! Thank you MSI for finally getting something right. You have restored my faith in your company. ;)

Anyway, my Q270 is a little tilted downwards to the left so I'm replacing it with a 3M Easy-Adjust Monitor Stand (MS110MB). My thin (.5") glass desk probably won't support desk clamps, and even if it did I wouldn't want to risk cracking the class. Wall mounting just isn't an option since there's no wall behind my desk.

The only thing I don't like about this monitor is that it doesn't display anything prior to Windows loading. I'm going to need to keep a spare monitor aside for overclocking.

I checked for dead pixels and the monitor is perfect (as far as I can see). There's also minimal/no backlight bleeding (again, as far as I can tell), so the only issue is the stand which will be fixed tomorrow morning.

Pictures will come as soon as I charge my camera and install the stand.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
    neliz says thanks.
  10. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    So you can't see the bios? Like if you press delete it won't show them?

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Absolutely nothing on the screen until I hear the Windows noise/blue Windows loading screen.

12. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    That is terrible. I wonder why.

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    I have no clue, in fact I just reinstalled Windows onto my HDD (selling SSD) and it didn't get a signal until I did Windows updates to install the basic display drivers.

14. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

^ That is why.

15. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    Fixed.
    [​IMG]
    I thought it might be graphics card related. There was just too many variables.

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    I'm pretty sure that chart is the compatibility chart for video carts with dual-link DVI. My 5770 is non-reference and has dual-link DVI so I think that can be ruled out, unless 5770s have an inherent issue with these monitors that I don't know about. :confused:

17. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    Kantastic, 1440p gaming is very demanding... I hope you know your 5770 won't play much.

18. animal007uk

Thanks Received:
    I will see if i can get my old HD5750 back from me mate and do a few test to see if i get the same problem.

19. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    I'm aware, I bought this monitor primarily for school, not for gaming. I'm not much of a gamer anyway. ;) I figured a 5770 would drive the monitor for some very light gaming (like TF2).

I don't think most 5750s have dual-link DVI, but please do give it a shot. I was surprised that my MSI R5770 Hawk had dual-link DVI, but I guess that's because it's a premium non-reference 5770.

20. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Just wanted to update, picked up the new stand this morning and all is well. It's still off by 1mm but overall very happy. The monitor is too big to allow me to use the horizontal-vertical rotation, but that's not important.

If anyone is interested in replacing their stand, which most should, and does not have the option or want to wall mount, I highly recommend this desk stand. It looks small and flimsy but it's actually very sturdy. It isn't perfect though, when I sneeze with my elbows on the desk the monitor will wobble slightly, but much less noticeable than the stock stand.

After using the Catleap for a day, the only criticism I can have pertaining to its quality is that the screen is slightly glossy and I get minor glare. Other than that, I'm very, very happy.

21. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    What colour profile are you using?

Am I installing them right? click add in colour management browse and select coulour profile, when I set defaults the colour doesnt seem to change to me?

22. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    I tried the Dell U3011 standard profile but didn't see a diff so I just switched it back to default. I'll experiment more in a bit.

23. HTC

HTC

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, dude: didn't see your edit until now.

I seem to be doing it wrong since i've tried 2 of the 4 profiles with the Dell u2711 collection and don't notice any changes, and the same goes to the catleap profile.

Here's a screenie:

[​IMG]

Am i doing it wrong?

24. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    No, but are you clicking the right one and clicking Set As Default Profile? Example: Click on Dell custom color.icc so it is highlighted, then click set as default profile, and you should instantly notice change.

edit: and if you don't like the changes it makes, you can try out others or highlight your catleap one and click set as default on that one again (Let me know if that works for you)

25. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Tried 4 u2711 profiles and I see no changes with any of them either.