1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

2560x1440 IPS 27" LED Monitor on the Cheap!

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Home Theater' started by erocker, Mar 13, 2012.

1. HTC

HTC

Thanks Received:
    I selected all those i added as default while i was adding them and this is what has happened to me: either the differences are too subtle to notice, or i'm doing something wrong.

The only things i did when the monitor arrived was turn down the brightness a bit and use Quickgamma to calibrate it: since then, with the exception of trying these profiles, i haven't changed a thing.

Is a restart required to notice the changes?
  2. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    That is odd... maybe there is something I missed in telling you how to get ICC profiles to work. They all work for me, as soon as I click Set as Default, I noticed the brightness color change immediately. :confused:
  3. HTC

HTC

Thanks Received:
    Question: what monitor driver you use?

In my case, it's a generic PnP, as shown in the pic on the previous page: tried searching for specific drivers but found none :(

While i was searching for catleap drivers, i found this: http://www.overclock.net/t/1225919/yamakasi-catleap-monitor-club

Check the color calibration/overclocking section and you'll see a profiles link there: i tried both profiles that came with it, using the loader, and noticed instant change with each of them.

Using the native one, @tm.
  4. Millennium

Millennium New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks. The achieva shimian profile really improved my catleap!

I have a 5870 and was surprised that i can see all, including bios. it was listed as not compatible...
  5. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    I just noticed that my whites look really blue. Is there a profile to fix this?

Edit: Nevermind, forgot my brightness was turned down.
  6. Kenshai

Thanks Received:
    Ordered a Shimian yesterday morning, left Korea this morning, really excited about this monitor. I've been using a 40" HDTV from ~12 feet away for a year or so. Have really started to feel some strain. Moving back to a desk set up and I decided to take a chance on one of these displays after dancing around he new 23" Asus IPS on Newegg for $100 cheaper.
  7. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Good luck with the pixels and backlighting, it's always a gamble with these monitors.
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  8. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    My Shimian has no dead pixels and backlight bleed is less than my Yamakasi.. Though both have minimal bleed.

They're the same monitor, different stand and casing. The Shimian is built better than the Yamakasi from what I can tell.
  9. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    I know they're the same panels and essentially the same monitors, I was actually wishing him good luck since all of these monitors can have imperfections.
  10. Kenshai

Thanks Received:
    Knew what I was getting into when I ordered it, read hundreds of pages of the threads on these monitors. Went with the one that is cheapest and easy to change mount if I'm not satisfied.
  11. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Naaaaaa they're is loads of ebay sellers who guarantee that there is no dead pixels/backlight bleed etc.

Only cost an extra $10 or so, seems worth it to me for peace of mind.
  12. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    That doesn't work. People use to pay extra for that stuff in the beginning, then everyone complained they still got stuck pixels, and now people recommend not to bother.
  13. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Really?

Well that sucks, I'm guessing people got their 10 dollars refunded then lol
  14. Kenshai

Thanks Received:
    Pretty sure the rate for defective monitors isn't as high as people are thinking. Remember an unhappy person makes their voice heard. Some of the time positive experiences won't be reviewed, A LOT of these monitors have been sold over the past few months and there's only so many complaints for dead or faulty ones. I feel pretty confident in this purchase.

Though I can't find much about people who have had it for months and their impressions that far in. With no moving parts, I am curious if/when these start failing.
  15. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Some said it ranges from 2%-8%, depending on the brand, that something will be wrong. Usually dead pixels.

Can't do much with the backlighting though, since even the Dell used to compare the Korean monitor with (over at Tech Report) also had backlight bleed problems. The Korean monitor had more obvious bleeding on certain parts, but overall the Dell had more backlight bleeding.
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  16. Kenshai

Thanks Received:
    Got my monitor today, talk about fast shipping. Ordered Sunday at 7:15 AM and received Tuesday 1 PM. No dead pixels, and no backlight bleed. Definitely satisfied with my purchase. Received a defect free monitor, no complaints to be had.

Image was pretty good out of the box, though loaded quite a few of the ICC profiles here. They were kind of finicky applying at first, after disconnecting my TV and restarting the computer the color profiles starting applying correctly.
  17. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Grats!

Any comment on which profile you liked best?
  18. Kenshai

Thanks Received:
    One I found on Overclock.net by BababooeyHTJ. Search for his username and ICC should pop right up. (Not sure about rules about linking directly to other forums)

It's a 6500k profile, but it cleaned up the slight bluish/green I had going on. Also have the Catleap-d65 which is similar with whites a bit brighter.

Overall the ICC profile made pretty significant difference.

Also don't forget to adjust Cleartype if you have it enabled. Looked pretty terrible at first, I think it carried over the settings for my TV.

Kind of curious how the GTX 560 will perform at this resolution. Will likely be moving to a 670, but waiting to see how the 660 fairs at this resolution before biting. I don't mind waiting a short while.
  19. Hilux SSRG

Hilux SSRG

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  20. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Micro Center sold one w/ the same ports for $400, but this one has a much better stand. Definitely worth the extra $30 if anybody is debating between the two.

Anyway, I just picked up Ravenas' XFX 6870 Eyefinity 6 edition to try and see if I can see the POST screen. I thought I could live with it but with the amount of tweaking I do in the BIOS, it'll be a major inconvenience not be able to see anything prior to the Windows 7 startup sound. Will update as to how that goes in a few days!
  21. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Okay, I guess I'm not getting the 6870 because Ravenas sold the stuff to a local trader after I paid for it. Now my money is being held up in PayPal. :mad:

Anyway, I need some help from y'all! Can owners of these monitors post exactly what video card they're using (model # preferred!) and whether or not they can see the POST screen or anything prior to Windows loading? I'm looking to buy a card that can allow me to overclock or tweak the BIOS without having to lug out my old monitor. Some non-reference models of supported cards might be different, and I don't want to take any chances.

:toast::toast::toast:
  22. Kenshai

Thanks Received:
    GTX560 shows post just fine, funny enough haven't been into bios since I got the monitor.

I think it is only certain ATI cards that have an issue. Didn't look into it further as my next card with be a 660/670 most likely.
    Kantastic says thanks.
  23. Luke

Thanks Received:
    I have 3 of these screens (And 2 more on the way for friends)

Non Reference 5850 post fine

Sapphire and XFX Reference 5870 Does not post with DVI but works fine using a Dispaly Port to Dual Link DVI Adapter
    Kantastic says thanks.
  24. NHKS

NHKS New Member

Thanks Received:
  25. Ross211

Ross211

Thanks Received:
    /edit
    Hilux SSRG beat me to it! lol