1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

2560x1440 IPS 27" LED Monitor on the Cheap!

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Home Theater' started by erocker, Mar 13, 2012.

1. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I can not afford or justify a monitor for $2100. There is a lot things I would spend that much on before I got to a monitor. I see these 1440p monitors as a nice upgrade, and are for a price I can justify and afford.

Dells are too expensive for me.

This is not the thread for you guys.
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    I like how you quote my response as if I at some point said $2,100 for a monitor is reasonable when what I actually said is the complete opposite. Some people..
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    I am sorry that you took offense. Not my intention. I quoted you but my response was mostly to him. I could of differentiated that. Why I included you in that was because dells are expensive also, although not as much. Checking your specs, you certainly did not pay no where near $2100.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. notyadaddy New Member

Thanks Received:
    okay that's great the monitor I suggested was 2K made in the USA full warranty but you go ahead with a different brand :laugh:
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2012
  5. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    You don't say?! The guy that said $2,100 is too much for a monitor doesn't have a $2,100 monitor? That is crazy.

I'm not sure what is so hard for you to understand. Some guy comes in and recommends a $2,000 monitor. Kantastic says no way would he pay that money for a single monitor- would rather chance it on 7 of these. I come in and agree that $2,000 is too much money for a single 'mission critical' level NEC display- would also take 7 of these Korean monitors or 3 DELLs. We both agree that the single $2,000 monitor isn't worth it over the other options out there. Somehow you come away with that thinking I'm all for two thousand dollar monitors? Bravo.

TPU needs a block list option.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. bogmali

bogmali Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    This is a warning for everyone, stay on topic and respect each others choice. If they want to spend more (or less) money for an item, it is their money. Suggestions are good but in no way they have to abide by it.
    Kursah and Radical_Edward say thanks.
  7. qmanning New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is the Crossover the same panel? It seems to have the most sturdy stand out of the box, in comparison to the Catleap models, as well as a decent design to the unit itself. Which, obviously, is less important than the quality of the panel, but I'm curious as to if this is up to snuff?

Also, excuse the noobness of this comment - but what exactly does one do for plugging this (or the Catleap, or the PCBank, etc) into a US wall socket? I read in one place that you can use your standard computer cable (i'm assuming the standard three-pronged female on one end, three pronged male on the other), but I may be completely wrong.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated. This thread has been eye-opening and a joy to read through.
  8. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    Buy the QH-270 Lite from Green_Sum, on sale now for 289.99 free ship no tax no duties to USA. Has an amazing stand, the white trim around the black border makes the picture stand out better as well. Just use the USA adapter and power brick they give you. :toast:
    Hilux SSRG says thanks.
  9. qmanning New Member

Thanks Received:
    Awesome. What about the power conversion?
  10. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Both of the monitors I've purchased came with a 110-240v adapter. You may need an american plug to plug into the adapter. Same kind of power cable that comes with a PSU.
  11. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I have yet to see a combo as raved about as a crossover from accessorieswhole. He has a 3 pixel policy but most people get perfect panels. He has a good return policy and his 99.9% rating isn't just for show. Mine got here in 2 days FedEx from Korea in great packaging, and I'm not sure but I think he swapped in a thicker DVI cable. It costs more but it's the best option.
  12. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Man this thread just makes me drool. It is the next "toy on the wishlist" But then I dunno that the damn thing would even fit into my corner desk. It has shelves across the top. If it fit my desk would be "All Monitor" I guess that wouldn't be a bad thing :laugh:

Found a really old pic of my desk(Aww my Samsung 4:3:eek:)Note my very clever 5.1 mounting the rear imaging is perfect! ;)

Do any of these have any kind of "adjustments" or are they all fixed stands?

[​IMG]
  13. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Most of them have fixed stands that aren't height adjustable but they also have VESA mounting holes on the back. Your current monitor seems to have an exceptionally tall stand. My Catleap monitor itself is about 39cm tall (not sure how tall it is with the stock stand), and the stand I replaced it with allows me to lower it so that it's touching the base, which is about 2cm tall itself. Some brands of these monitors have thinner bezels so you may want to pick one of those if you're concerned about height.
    INSTG8R says thanks.
  14. neliz

neliz MSI Rep

Thanks Received:

I checked my catleap and it's 49cm :p (or 19 inch for you's still into 17th century measurements.)
    INSTG8R and Millennium say thanks.
  15. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    I said monitor only, implying the panel + the frame, no stand.

After remeasuring it's actually about 40cm, so the lowest my monitor + aftermarking stand can be is 42cm.
  16. neliz

neliz MSI Rep

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, that sentence came off wrong as I removed some lines.
  17. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Thanks guys. Kanstastic that's an old picture that monitor is long gone. But yeah it had a height adjustable stand. My current 24" is actually on a box to raise it up because it doesn't have any adjustment.
    Well I just measures my desk space and I have 48cm from the desk to the shelf. Looks like s tight squeeze..
  18. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Took me a while, but I finally figured it out. You probably meant to tell me how tall it was with the stock stand since I said I wasn't sure. My apologies if I came across as an ass, but I'm actually an ass so that happens a lot. ;)

You might as well replace it with a cheap VESA stand since the stock one is extremely wobbly anyway. My monitor was tilted to one side with the stock base and the plastic disk on mine was cracking on one side due to the unevenness.
  19. Rei86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    hmm been reading all the threads about the 27" monitors every since the Yamakasi got so much attention. Plan was to sell my 50" plasma and replace with a large monitor to take care of all my media needs. The only issue with these cheap panels is the fact that they have limited connectivity, not only that but the dead pixel policy. However its nice that you can pay for the service of perfect pixel where they open it up and check it out for you before they ship. Also to note I found one catleap with HDMI, DVI, DSUB inputs but it puts the monitor into the 400 dollar range.

Would like to note that the Achieva Shimian uses the same LG S-IPS panel and looks like it has a much sturdier stand.
  20. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    I just got the Achieva Shimian QH-270 Lite from "green-sum," at Phusius' encouragement (quotes below), and I can say its a much better monitor that my previous garbage that never worked. As you say, the stand is definitely superior than most! My only gripe is 1 green stuck pixel in the upper left corner, but for only $290, I can't complain. You can't see it unless its a totally dark background.

All in all, I'd say it's pretty great!

Crunching for Team TPU
  21. Rei86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried running a stuck pixel program? Usually just runs some RGB/HD Images over and over again in a period of mins to hours to days trying to revive the stuck pixel.
  22. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a Catleap and a Shimian and the Shimian is definitely a better choice. I'm going to be purchasing another perfect pixel version in a week or so.

The only reason the Catleap's were more popular was due to the earlier batches having the ability to overclock. That is no longer the case.
  23. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    I havent but thanks for the suggestion. I received it Thursday and left town for the weekend Friday; I'm still away. I will search and give a try what you say when I get home. But the Shimiam is nice thus far. I still have the old monitor sitting in my room in the box; I have no idea how to try to fix it. I may take it to a local place to see if they can figure it out... But no worries, as I have a good replacement currently!
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. Jegergrim

Jegergrim New Member

Thanks Received:
    Does anyone have decent color profiles for these monitors? Personally I bought the Crossover 27Q LED-P version from Green-Sum, but the TFT - Central Crossover profile really doesn't change much, and the black levels are really bad...
    If anyone have good profiles they are willing to share, it would be great:)
  25. Kenshai

Thanks Received:
    Been using one I picked up over at another forum, BababooeyHTJ at OC.net.

Removed the yellow tint from my monitor. I have a few others that I found for these panels if you'd like them as well. They are all pretty close.

Attached Files: