1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

2560x1440 IPS 27" LED Monitor on the Cheap!

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Home Theater' started by erocker, Mar 13, 2012.

1. welly31 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Mine is in Alaska also but it says estimated delivery is monday. I hope i get it for the weekend!

EDIT: Do you guys think a 7950 3gb will be able to get atleast 60 fps in most games. I mean how much of a performance hit is it to go from 1080p to 1440p.
    Last edited: May 8, 2013
  2. Random Murderer

Random Murderer The Anti-Midas

Thanks Received:
    It's out for delivery! WOO!
  3. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    It's quite a hit in performance, you'll be rendering 3686400 pixels (2560x1440) versus 2073600 pixels (1920x1080).

You'll probably have to turn down some settings and forget AA samples in high demanding games.

Just take a look at any review that has 2560x1600p testing vs 1920x1080p and you'll have an idea.
  4. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Yeah my 7950 is at 1200/1500 and while I don't absolutely need a more powerful GPU to have a good and proper gaming experience, I def already *want* one. Running BF3 at 96Hz with 2x MSAA shows perfoverlay mostly spikey and numbers in red. That said, it doesn't generally feel like it's badly struggling nor do I see any screen tearing as yet.
  5. welly31 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Why would you see screen tearing if your running it at 96hz? That means your card would be rendering higher than 96fps which it probably wouldnt be especially at 1440p. Id imagine the issue is low FPS much more than it is screen tearing.

Also, I went home for lunch and boom my monitor was there! i ordered it saturday ngith and it made it here wednesday morning...FROM KOREA! I cant wait to get home from work and open it.
  6. Random Murderer

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I ordered mine on Friday and it's out for delivery right now. Pretty surprised it's here so quick. And I WILL be here when it's delivered, because I'm having it delivered to my office :D
  7. LagunaX

LagunaX

Thanks Received:
    So recently, who got and or is getting what?

for me,

X-Star PLS 8ms with little backlight bleeding, $339 for perfect pixel shipped.
    Last edited: May 8, 2013
  8. welly31 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I got a 27" achieva Shimian 1440p IPS w/ white led backlight and perfect pixel. $340 shipped
  9. Random Murderer

Thanks Received:
    Same. Perfect pixel Achieva Shimian QH270-IPSI 1440p for $340 shipped from Red Cap.
    It still hasn't been delivered, I'm going nuts waiting for it!
  10. welly31 New Member

Thanks Received:
    it will come! I still couldnt believe it when I walked in my door and saw the package. The monitor is really thin, it looks awesome.
    Random Murderer says thanks.
  11. Random Murderer

Thanks Received:
    Mine just showed up. I wanna open the box and play with it, but I'm at work. :(
  12. welly31 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I'm kind of pissed. I paid for a pixel perfect monitor but in the top right corner there seems to be a black stuck/dead pixel. Its possible it is dirt that is stuck under the glass but either way it shouldnt of been advertised at pixel perfect. Other than that the monitor is awesome. I sent redcap an ebay message and supposedly he will refund the difference between a pixel perfect and a regular. I will let you guys know how it goes. I will also try to take a picture to show you.

It is in the very top right hand corner so its not a huge deal.
  13. Random Murderer

Thanks Received:
    I suppose I got lucky then. No stuck/dead pixels and no backlight bleed.
    I have to say I'm floored at the picture quality.
  14. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Ah, thanks, I guess I was under the impression could result from both higher as well as lower. Don't know much about the details nor thought about it much as never really had to deal with the issue.

Get some ICCs at OCN and it will look even better. :)
  15. Random Murderer

Thanks Received:
    icc?
    erocker says thanks.
  16. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I didn't know at first either. I'm thinking some sort of color calibration.

That's not so bad... and you have a "good" (for the lack of a better term) stuck pixel since it's black. You could always try massaging it with the tip of an eraser.. Or try to unstick it using a video like this: Stuck Pixel Fix 8hrs Long - YouTube Don't stare at it too long! Lol.
  17. HumanSmoke

HumanSmoke

Thanks Received:
    In Color Calibration. ToastyX (the guy behind the modded GPU/SLI/CFX drivers to bypass the RAMDAC limits for 120Hz output) has a set of profiles available for the Korean IPS displays.
    Most of the info is >>here<<. Just scroll down to the color calibration/overclocking section in the first post.
    Random Murderer and erocker say thanks.
  18. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    ICC Profiles are files made using hardware color calibration devices and are accessed/enabled in the Color Management control panel in Windows. Their main purpose is to try to ensure color uniformity between screen and print (as well as different screens) but they are very useful to us as well to bring out the vibrancy of these displays.

You can use ICCs from others (don't need your own calibrator device) but it doesn't make any sense, of course, to use one made on a different type of monitor. And the reason why there are ones for at OCN for various refresh rates too is only because these particular displays darken when overclocked so a 120Hz ICC is going to be brighter than the 60Hz to compensate for that.

Double-click an ICC you've downloaded and it adds it to the profiles location in Windows/System32 and then you can hit Add and select it from the list in the Color Management control panel.

The color looks pretty good out of the box but can be even better and richer.

Yeah there are some from others throughout the thread(s) too made with different calibrators incl. one by me made with a ColorMunki borrowed from work (but only did a 96Hz so far). Just today some guy posted a new 120 made with a Spyder4Pro.
    Last edited: May 9, 2013
    erocker says thanks.
  19. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Little did I realize that I already downloaded my profile when I got my monitor 6 months ago. On my Shimian, I didn't even notice a difference between that and the one that came on the monitor. The Catleap I have definitely needed it.
  20. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Cool. Though could never hurt to try others, provided they are also similar IPS. The PLS Club guy over there now claims some ICCs for name-brand PLS offerings such as from Asus have looked best for him as yet and also posted this useful link where they (and plenty others) can be found:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm#s

And, just to clarify, this is all controlled by the OS. The default or "stock" ICC and resulting color tones/levels you see out-of-the-box is just whatever Windows uses as default without any user input. So, really, the one you downloaded is the "one that came with the monitor". :)
    Last edited: May 9, 2013
  21. Random Murderer

Thanks Received:
    Ok, thought I was lucky. Guess not.
    Has anybody had an issue where their monitor just sort of freezes and the images fades to gray, but the PC is still fine? turning the monitor off and back on, unplugging it and plugging it back in, or pulling the DVI cable and reinstalling it all fix it, if only temporarily.
    I'm using the DVI cable that came with the monitor and have already tried both DVI options in Catalyst(Reduce DVI Frequencies on high-resolution displays, and Alternate DVI operational mode)
  22. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I'm lucky my LG panel seemed perfectly calibrated by default because I've noticed ICC profiles have some compatibility issues with certain programs. Ironically windows photo viewer for one.
  23. MetalRacer

MetalRacer

Thanks Received:
    Heres a video from the guys at Overlord showing how to overclock their tempest monitor.

I don't own a Korean monitor but I was able to overclock mine to 80hz by using this method.

How to Overclock a Tempest - YouTube
  24. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, crap, no. You may want to join and ask over at OCN where there are many more owners. Could also see what the seller thinks at this point.
  25. welly31 New Member

Thanks Received:
    So I dont think its a dead pixel on my monitor. Its a piece of dirt stuck under the tempered glass. It seems to big to be a single dead pixel. Is there any way to remove the glass and clean it?