1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

2560x1440 IPS 27" LED Monitor on the Cheap!

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Home Theater' started by erocker, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Random Murderer

Random Murderer The Anti-Midas

Thanks Received:
    Still no reply from Red Cap. Should I send him another message or just go straight to the resolution center?

2. welly31 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Try turning your brightness down. My power brick gets really hot with full or close to full brightness but its only warm when I have it on half brightness.

By brightness I mean the buttons on the actual monitor near the power button.

3. Random Murderer

Thanks Received:
    I've already tried that. Even at minimum brightness it still does the same thing.

4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Mine is somewhere in between warm and hot. I can keep my hand on it without feeling like I'm getting burnt. Contact the seller and ask for a free replacement power unit.

5. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    the thing you guys gotta understand is that most of these guys are Operating out of China or Korea Morality and Honest Business practices aren't exactly at a all time high over there ATM
    its a crap shoot but unless you wanna pay 500 to 600+ for a large monitor this is the road you take

@ random I would bet my money on the power brick those Adapters are made to run off of 190 or 240v while they will function at 110-120v they tend to run very hot and have a high failure rate

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  6. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Model: WTS-240SW
    INPUT: 110-240v~50/60Hz, 1.5A
    OUTPUT: 24v--5.0A

7. Random Murderer

Thanks Received:
    I've tried contacting him. I'll try again, but I doubt he'll respond.

It does say it accepts 110-240VAC input...

The specs look right, but not sure about the model number. I'll have to look when I get home in a few hours.

8. Random Murderer

Thanks Received:
    Just checked. It's WTS-2405W, not 240SW, but yeah, that's the one.
    Apparently it's made by Welltronics and their website is Welltro.com, but it's in Korean and damned if I can read it, lol.

I finally received a response from "Alice" at red cap.
    They want me to try another DVI cable(which I have but forgot to mention) and if that doesn't work they want a short video clip of the monitor doing its thing.
    They'll get their video and then determine whether or not I should get another power brick. That doesn't mean I will, but it's a step in the right direction.

9. Slizzo

Slizzo

Thanks Received:
  10. Random Murderer

Thanks Received:
    Same output current, half the voltage of mine, and different connector. Yours looks like a traditional sleeve and pin connector. Mine is a round casing(think the old S-Video connectors) with four large pins in a trapezoidal pattern.

11. Slizzo

Slizzo

Thanks Received:
    Possible yes. Perhaps this photo has better angle on the monitor end of the cable.

http://sdrv.ms/Z7iITy

12. Random Murderer

Thanks Received:
    That was the one i was looking at to determine it's different than mine:p
    At any rate, I do appreciate the reply and help.;)

O/T, how did you bend those rims like that? stiff suspension and hitting a bump too fast?

13. Slizzo

Slizzo

Thanks Received:
    Ha, yeah I made those public. I'm selling them actually. Didn't effect balance or ability to hold air.

But I suspect it was this combination: 4000LBS car, ~75MPH speed, huge pothole on crappy CT highways.

14. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Hey RM I think a dude at OCN is now having similar behavior on his...something about gray and shit after working for a time.

Mine recently stopped displaying an image at all for awhile until I screwed the cable in super tight on both top and bottom on the display side.

15. Random Murderer

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the heads up. The monitor is going to be hooked back up tonight after I get home from class and Red Cap shall have their damned video.:nutkick:

16. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Yeah and that's the reason I could not get the heavier and seemingly-higher-qaulity dual-link cable I brought home for work (came with a 30" NEC)--it's pins are too short to screw in at all. When my DVI port doesn't have a "good enough" connection the screen will only flash red then green then go black.

17. Caenlen29

Caenlen29 New Member

Thanks Received:
    For those who don't know, 2560x1440 120hz monitors are on sale now.

Yes, you have to overclock it. 1440p can now hit 120hz easy.

DVI-D can handle it. Not HDMI.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/27-QNIX-QX2...2541?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item1e785bf9dd

http://www.overclock.net/t/1374065/...ution-ll-27-2560x1440-matte-samsung-pls-panel

and you can choose from matte screen or glossy.

100% of them OC to 96hz easily. most of them do OC to 120hz. i love mine, it came with 0 dead pixels, no backlight bleed (one advantage of PLS over IPS) yet retaining amazing colors after calibration. :toast:

18. Random Murderer

Thanks Received:
    Alright, Red Cap got their video. We'll see how they handle it from here.
    TPU was featured in the video btw. It just happened to be the website I was on when I first turned the monitor on in the video, lol

19. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Uh I really don't think you can say the bleed has anything to do w/ IPS vs PLS. Especially considering most of these particular PLS units have bleed, some awful. It seems to be related to frame and bezel anyway; nothing to do w/ the panels themselves. If you truly have none you were extremely lucky. Check out this poor SOB:

[​IMG]

20. naraku

naraku

Thanks Received:
    Wow I don't have the worst monitor anymore!:roll:

21. Random Murderer

Thanks Received:
    Yep, I saw a post somewhere(not sure if it was here or OCN) where someone had terrible bleed and just loosened the case's screws a little bit near the origin of the bleed and it significantly helped.
    So guys, If you have terrible bleed and are not afraid to void the warranty:)rolleyes:), you could always back out the case's screws slightly and see if it helps.
    My best guess is that on at least some of these monitors that have bad bleed (like this one Wrigley posted) the cases and/or the metal that secures the actual panel are just fastened too tightly and putting pressure on the panel.

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  22. naraku

naraku

Thanks Received:
    Yeah that's definitely OCN. They even have a tutorial on how to open it and put electric tape on the spot where there is bleeding to definitely remove it.

Random Murderer says thanks.
  23. Random Murderer

Thanks Received:
    Red Cap is infuriating me. Now that they have my video clearly displaying the problem, they're asking me to do things that I've already done to try resolving the issue, such as trying another DVI cable, trying the Shimian on another PC, running in single-monitor mode only, and trying a different GPU. We all know a 7970 is more than enough to drive one of these, and the fact that I have a second monitor running off of my GTS250 should not affect the Shimian in any way.
    I wasn't nice in this reply and linked them to my previous reply showing that I've done all of that. Next step from here if they keep giving the runaround is to escalate this to EBay or PayPal.
    In the meantime, SUATMM is still without a monitor, and I'm not going to game on my secondary 1280x1024 monitor.

24. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Yes that is some BS but just jump through their hoops at least for now still and tell them soon that you have done all that again, as they asked. I don't think you are getting the run around at least yet; they are trying to avoid the return if at all possible and you can't really blame them.

As you say, you could always escalate to eBay worse comes to worse and at least one other dude on OCN has already gotten a full refund through eBay after lots of trouble with a unit from dream-seller. Well, I didn't read all the details but he did say his "faith in eBay was restored" even.

25. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Double-post for bumpage. The guy with that awful bleed I posted above was able to fix it! (Some is hard to follow but here is what he had to say...)