1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

2560x1440 IPS 27" LED Monitor on the Cheap!

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Home Theater' started by erocker, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Random Murderer

Random Murderer The Anti-Midas

Thanks Received:
    Ah, so now they want me to void my warranty. Here's the response I just received:
    Seller's message:
    "Dear.******** okay. Please let us know the serial number of the monitor. We will send the pcb for the fix it. Thank you! Alice "

I suppose it's better than nothing, but it sounds like they are going to send me an internal part that I'll then have to swap myself and void the warranty in the process. They could also be referring to a new power brick, but it does say "pcb" in the message.
    In my response, in which I'll give them the serial number(shouldn't they already have it?), I'm going to bring up that point. It would be completely unfair if they sent me an internal part to replace and then not take the monitor back(if this doesn't fix the issue) because I opened it.

2. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Yeah hmm...though you could go through all the hassle and BS of returning and not get a very good one back once again (dead pixels etc). Does seem a but strange that they would want to send a PCB. Let's see how it shakes out I guess. There is at least a set of videos that is very detailed about opening and panel removal and dude even removes and inspects the PCB. As for a warranty void some other buyers have received seller permission to open for various fixes and they are asking you to do it perhaps so....

Dismantling Korean QX2710 PLS - Removing Bezel - Y...

Random Murderer says thanks.
  3. Random Murderer

Thanks Received:
    Good to know. As I mentioned, upon receiving the part, if it is an internal part I'll clarify with them if this will void my warranty. I'll be nice this time too, as they are now actually helping and not making me jump through hoops.
    Thanks for the info and help, Wrigley.

Wrigleyvillain says thanks.
  4. Rei86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    So lately I've noticed when I die in BF3 the screen goes blank, if playing for more than 10mins the screen just shuts off... WTF is going?

Crossover 27Q btw.

So I thought it was the GPUs, went from a 690 > 680 Classifieds in SLI > GTX Titans and they all do it.

Thought it was the cable so I have four DL DVI-D cables, they all do it.

Thought it was the PSU, Tried one AX1200, AX1200i, AX1200i and a Seasonic P1000. Same Story.

Thought it was the Mobo so i RMAed the Asus MVF and replaced it with the ASRock 990FX...same deal.

Replaced the monitor with a Sony PS3 Display no issue, Asus V24 no issue.

So its the 27Q..but only when gaming... Think its the power brick?

And either ways I already put in the order for a Overlord Tempest X270OC with AG
    http://overlordcomputer.com/collect...opy-of-new-overlord-tempest-x270oc_ag-grade-a

Was thinking about getting a BenQ 120hz monitor but I can't stand the f'en TN panel at 1920x1080...it just hurts my eyes.

5. xxdozer322

xxdozer322

Thanks Received:
    ^try changing your field of view (in game, i just upped it a lil bit). this happened to me when i went from 1920x1080 to 1920x1200

6. Rei86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was told this, the FOV was set to default.

7. xxdozer322

xxdozer322

Thanks Received:
    just up it by one and accept the changes

8. Rei86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think I had it up to 90 at one point and didn't do anything. Don't know what settings I was running with the Titan set up. Guess I might try again since this 1080p monitor is very ugly.

9. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    So what's the latest RM? You are waiting on the PCB?

10. Random Murderer

Thanks Received:
    I sent them the part number and serial number. Either they ended up sending me the wrong monitor or are totally clueless to what product they are selling, as they were expecting the part number to be something IPSI and it was IPSB. They basically told me I couldn't read and to check again, so I just sent them a damn picture of the product ID label.
    Red Cap sucks and I wish I'd paid more and ordered from someone else. So that's where we're at.

11. Random Murderer

Thanks Received:
    Sorry to double post, But I had to to get the thread to bump.
    They were satisfied with the picture and have sent me the PCB along with a tracking number.
    I can infer from their last message that it is in fact an internal part they are sending me as they said hey don't believe it's the power adapter and are sending a PCB. I replied to thank them, confirm whether it is an internal part, and if it is, if opening the monitor to replace that part will void my warranty. I don't expect a reply until late tonight due to the time difference.

12. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Good luck.

Random Murderer says thanks.
  13. Random Murderer

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, thanks.
    At least I know if things don't end up working out, I can get my money back through eBay or PayPal. Still, it sucks having been out of a monitor for ~3 weeks now.:banghead:

EDIT: Response from me asking if my warranty would be voided by opening the monitor:
    "Dear.******** Yes, you need to open the monitor with care if check the pcb. It is easy to check but you need to be careful with the cable etc. If you check the pcb and still no change at all, we will arrange the return. ( in case, we attached extra power adapter for you.) Thank you! Alice "
    So not only did they send the PCB, but also another power brick just in case. It's taken them long enough, but it does seem they are trying to make it right.

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  14. droc New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, after 10 months of trying to get red-cap to deal with my dead screen, its safe to say Im out.
    After 4 weeks my screen went black. red-cap agreed to replace the screen so I did not escilate to a paypal claim. Once the 45 days were up, it was 6 months or messaging him to fix or refund with him jerking me around. After about 6 months he agreed to repair it if I shipped it to him for $150 that he would refund if it was indeed DOA. I went for it as I thought paypal protection would prevent me from getting screwed but I was wrong(apparently paypal feels its fine to pay for a repair service but not preform the service) .
    Before I sent the screen, I put clear tape on several parts of the bevel. He sent the screen back and voila, DOA still. Tape not removed or broken. No communication since April. $500 lost

red-cap is a liar and a con. I dont believe people still buy from this thief. I have posted a number of times and I have been contacted by half a dozen others who have had the same issue with him.

DO NOT BUY FROM RED-CAP

15. Rei86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    WoW sorry to hear you're having this issue guys with your monitors.

16. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Random Murderer is having problems with his from Red Cap too.

17. ChaoticG8R

Thanks Received:
    I have two monitors from Red-Cap without an issue. Both are pixel perfect with little back light bleed.

x2 - Sorry there are such sour experiences out there, but that seems to be the minor case with a lot of these Korean "sellers".

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  18. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    They are all a crap shoot, of course, but at least lately with the PLS displays some sellers seem more likely to send out a problem unit than others and red-cap and dreamseller top this list.

19. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I still really recommend AW. I think they have stricter panel screening and are very customer service oriented (relatively, broken English is still an issue.)

20. Rei86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I purchased a CrossOver 27Q PP from accessorieswhole, besides the stupid adapter not working properly (just used a three prong from a old monitor that works just fine) everything is fine with my monitor.

Not only that when I received my monitor they sent me a message asking how it was and let them know if anything was up with it. Guess my experience however really doesn't matter since customer service is only tested when something goes wrong.

21. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    just ordered myself: Philips 298P4QJEB Pro for 530 Loreals (€)
    Pray for me :)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  22. Random Murderer

Thanks Received:
    Today the monitor gets sent back. They are paying shipping and giving me a full refund.
    Too bad they raised the price of this monitor $150 since I purchased it or I'd be picking up another IPS. How do the PLS monitors look compared to IPS? Are the colors as vibrant and the backlight as bright?

23. Rei86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    well, my Overlord Tempest X270OC AG shipped.

Will have some pictures and a look at once it gets here.

24. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    Tell me if i hijack the thread. Just wanted to tell you about this 29" ultrawide Philips display 2560x1080).
    The price makes it affordable (little more than 500 Urocks).The width is superb, the hight a bit cheesy. The typography clearness is miles ahead of my previous monitor-tv combo (bigger but inferior in resolution (32", 1950 x1080).
    This kit has a USB3 4 port hub and Display Port. (Is DP better than HDMI?)
    Going to test a game now....

25. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Are these screens worth buying? I've been reading lots of problems with them.