1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

2560x1440 IPS 27" LED Monitor on the Cheap!

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Home Theater' started by erocker, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Random Murderer

Random Murderer The Anti-Midas

Thanks Received:
    Asking this again^
    :toast:

2. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    I believe those with both have said that the color is a bit better on the IPS (on glossy at least) but the contrast level is much better on these PLS amongst other details that are over my head. I do not think most IPS have bleed issues (but I have not read nearly as many posts about them as the PLS) as that is due to the crappy construction on these QNIX and X-Star (so all that can be fixed too but requires removing the frame from the panel which is *very* delicate work). The IPS ones are way overpriced now IMO and that's just for 60Hz too.

A few people have had bad experiences and gotten bad units like our friend RM here but, still, the vast majority incl. myself could not be happier with the purchase for ~$300. They are definitely "worth buying" in general for this price even if they did not pretty much all do at least 96Hz which they do.

You can get an open box IPS Auria at Microcenter for like $338 if you have one nearby.

Random Murderer says thanks.
  3. Random Murderer

Thanks Received:
    Well then seeing as how the IPS monitors are damn expensive now and I don't have a problem cracking open a PLS to rectify the backlight bleed, who's a trustworthy seller nowadays? And which particular brand/model should I look at?

4. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Hulustar, bigclothcraft, Accessories-Whole or Excellentcastle offhand. Possibly greensum. The only other real consideration is glossy or matte; QNIX and X-Star are the same. The matte on these is super nice semi-gloss and is the more popular choice as most of us are not in windowless rooms.

What happened with the PCB thing? Did they finally just agree to take it back?

5. Random Murderer

Thanks Received:
    They sent out the PCB and another power brick. Neither fixed the issue, though at first it seemed the PCB did the trick. It ran for next to five hours without an issue then it started happening again.
    Red Cap agreed to not only give me a full refund, but also pay for return shipping.
    Although I didn't end up with a working monitor, I've definitely dealt with worse sellers on eBay. At times their messages seemed a little insulting or undermining, but I have a feeling a lot was lost in translation. It is very obvious that English is not "Alice's" first language, and probably not her second either. All in all, I can't really hold much if anything against them. They did go beyond what most sellers would to try and get me a working monitor.
    When they receive the monitor, the money will be refunded to my paypal account and I'll use that to buy a PLS or an IPS if I can find one in my price range.

6. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Sounds good. Yeah you got experience working inside these things too now, as you said. I had mine open to remove the stock stem for a new stand but taking off the frame would makes me really nervous...and that was before some guy on OCN cracked his screen which happened the other day.

7. Enmitynz

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, i've just been pointed to this thread because im looking to buy one of these korean monitors. the things I want in this upgrade is :

compatibility with both PC and xbox 360, ideally with more than one input so I don't have to keep switching cables.

a "wow" display, i currently have a samsung XL2370 TN, I want to see what all the fuss is about when it comes to IPS/PLS displays.

Ideally, something overclockable...though not completely necessary, would just be a nice bonus.

I've found this here, which seems to tick all the boxes and i'd be more than happy to pay $650NZD for this. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=605277006&permanent=0

for example, a Samsung PB278Q PLS retails here for about $900NZD.

What do you guys reckon?

8. Rei86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    well my overlord X270OC AG came in. Will post up some pictures of it side by side with the CrossOver 27Q and give my impressions on it.

9. Random Murderer

Thanks Received:
    Well?
    The Overlord monitor is intriguing, and I'm back in the market for another monitor. Budget is a bit higher this time, too.:toast:

10. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    is this the monitor people are buying or is something else out that is better?

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. droopyRO

droopyRO

Thanks Received:
    If you overclock your 1440p monitor to 90-120Hz do you need a DisplayPort cable or is a dual-link DVI sufficient ? Thanks.
    /offtopic

12. Jack1n

Thanks Received:
    Mathragh says thanks.
  13. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Yeah the much newer QNIX/X-Star PLS are better as they can do 96-120Hz too generally and are also cheaper. Better contrast ratio too.

They are actually now at Newegg too for $329 but still just a third-party Korean seller.

14. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff

Thanks Received:
    Very interested in your impressions on the Overlord as well. Would love to know if the price premium on the Overlord is worth it over the QNIX/Star panels.

I'm also curious as to the difference in motion blur between a 120HZ TN panel and a 120HZ IPS/PLS panel.

I am so torn at the moment. 120HZ Lightboost TN panel at 1080 vs 120HZ IPS/PLS panel at 1440 vs TRUE 120HZ HDTV at 1080.

Obviously the goal is to have highest quality image setting with most accurate colors with the least amount of motion blur while being able to maintain as close to 120 frames per second as possible. At 1440 I feel the performance hit is almost too great even with lower AA settings (Even though I rarely use above 2xaa/FXAA/SMAA). I have heard Lightboost offers a fantastic reduction in blur, even over 120HZ TN panels, but again, its still a TN panel... Also, I still cannot find definitive evidence of an HDTV being able to accept and output a native 120hz signal. All of the sources over at blurbusters have at least someone discrediting the same TV someone else used to achieve 120hz.

Decisions, decisions....

EDIT: Currently running 120hz TN 1080 panel withOUT Lightboost.

15. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    The 1440P hit is not as much as you think and you have 690 ffs. FWIW, there is a guy at OCN who went 120Hz LB and is glad to be back on 1440 now; 1080 is just not that many pixels no matter what. A few people coming from such or even low lag TNs do notice some ghosting they say but not enough to even be close to a show stopper. Especially not with everythign else the PLS bring to the table starting with higher pixel density and also higher Hz.

16. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine

Thanks Received:
    Has anyone else noticed Newegg now has Yamasaki, QNIX, and X-Star monitors for sale?

Just found them there today.

james888 says thanks.
  17. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    yea newegg is doing a lot more business now as an e-commerce outlet. pretty sweet.

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I posted about Newegg above...

PopcornMachine says thanks.
  19. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine

Thanks Received:
    Ok, took the plunge. Tired of waiting on name brand prices to come down.

Just now turned, for the first time, my QNIX 2710 LED.

And man, it is beautiful! :D

Wrigleyvillain says thanks.
  20. mrsemi

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for all the posts on the topic. I'm only linking my thread to this for people to reference in case they have issues with the seller ta_planet or this unit.

Perfect Pixel X-Star DP2710 LED 27" 2560x1440 QHD Samsung PLS Glossy DVI Monitor

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190101

Haven't heard back from the seller, the unit just powers on for a split second and then back off.

I couldn't read through every single post to see if someone had a similar issue but I read through about half of em and didn't see anything.
    http://youtu.be/xEm5CHBucPA

21. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    I just gave you something to try in your thread. As I said there your 7950 def does DVI-D and you don't need any adapter (nor can you OC the monitor while using one).

mrsemi says thanks.
  22. mrsemi

Thanks Received:
    Feeling like a derp. Tightening it down really tight on the video card did the job. Thank you, I ran eyefinity for many months but this thing's beautiful and much more manageable than the three monitors

23. Wrigleyvillain

Thanks Received:
    Awesome though I am really surprised it was on the GPU side. Once I used the screwdriver on the monitor side I could really tell why it was needed. Short 'screws' and a chinsy plastic rear that slightly indented with force...

And don't feel too dumb. 15+ years of both personal and professional computer work on all kinds of crap and I never needed to use a damn screwdriver to ensure I could get a video signal. I thought mine was suddenly dead for like 20 minutes and may have for a lot longer if I didn't have another rig to try it on.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  24. Irony

Irony

Thanks Received:
    I have an acheiva shimian. Its another Korean monitor from eBay basically the same as the catleap. Got it for $350 I think. I'm happy with it good price for 1440p

More than 25k PPD
  25. huostone New Member

Thanks Received:
    it looks great, nice price