• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Razer Viper Mini

pzogel

Reviewer
The Razer Viper Mini is the little brother of 2019's Viper. While priced like a budget mouse, the Viper Mini makes no compromises when it comes to performance: a weight of just 58 g, improved optical main button switches, a highly flexible cable, pure PTFE mouse feet, and Razer's PAW3359 sensor make for an impressive feature list.

Show full review

Cheeseball

Not a Potato
Supporter
System Name Titan
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I Gaming WiFi
Cooling ID-COOLING SE-207-XT Slim Snow
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 2x16GB DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB GDDR6 (MBA)
Storage 2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVMe
Display(s) AOpen Fire Legend 24" (25XV2Q), Dough Spectrum One 27" (Glossy), LG C4 42" (OLED42C4PUA)
Case ASUS Prime AP201 33L White
Audio Device(s) Kanto Audio YU2 and SUB8 Desktop Speakers and Subwoofer, Cloud Alpha Wireless
Power Supply Corsair SF1000L
Mouse Logitech Pro Superlight (White), G303 Shroud Edition
Keyboard Wooting 60HE / NuPhy Air75 v2
VR HMD Occulus Quest 2 128GB
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit 23H2 Build 22631.3447
I have this mouse as part of my travel pack. At 400 dpi it does the job like any other PMW 3389 mouse. I'm not experiencing the lens rattling around though.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO (WI-FI)
Cooling DEEPCOOL ASSASSIN III
Memory 2x8GB Patriot Viper Steel 3800MHz CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 2080 Ti (2055/1925) / WITH RAIJINTEK MORPHEUS
Storage SM961 512GB / 850PRO 250GB / Hitachi 1TB / 2x WD 8TB
Display(s) MAG251RX / AOC 24G2U / VX2458-MHD
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) beyerdynamic DT 900 PRO X
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum 1200W
Mouse Razer Deathadder V3
Keyboard IKBC MF87 Pro
Software Windows 10
I wedged two paper snippets into the sides of the lens. Probably not the most elegant solution.
Think about the weight that you've added!

System Name The Captain (2.0)
Processor Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E AORUS Master
Cooling 280mm Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 4x Be Quiet! 140mm Silent Wings 4 (1x exhaust 3x intake)
Memory 32GB (2x16) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo (6000Mhz)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 SUPRIM X
Storage 1x Crucial MX500 500GB SSD; 1x Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 SSD; 1x WD Blue HDD, 1x Crucial P5 Plus
Display(s) Aorus CV27F 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case Phanteks Evolv X (Anthracite Gray)
Power Supply Corsair RMx (2021) 1000W 80-Plus Gold
Mouse Varies based on mood/task; is currently Razer Basilisk V3 Pro or Razer Cobra Pro
Keyboard Varies based on mood; currently Razer Blackwidow V4 75% and Hyper X Alloy 65
Nice review! I've actually been looking at getting this particular mouse due to my weird, small hands (dem girly hands lol). I say weird because while I have small hands, I have really long fingers/thumbs, so shopping for a new gaming mouse is a bit tricky for me. That said, I do appreciate this review, and the Viper Mini remains on my short list of potential buys.

All models cannot store individual backlight settings in memory. after removing the utility, all the backlight settings fly off...
All Razer models have poor quality. I always bought Razer, but my patience came to an end...
Razer Lancehead Tournament Edition, after three months of use:
IMG_20200611_122943.jpg

Roccat Kain 120 AIMO the quality is excellent! and there are no such problems with the mandatory use of a proprietary utility to use your own highlight style. that is, a full profile is stored in the device’s memory and not neutered like that of Razer.

Desik

Hi @pzogel , very well put together.

About the immense LOD (which is above 2DVDs on some pads) - as you know, there is a way to fix this by going into synapse, choosing Razer Gigantus pad and then setting the LOD to 1-2mm.

Have you done any testing on how this affects the sensor?
Will setting a lower LOD in razer synapse have negative impact on the sensor performance?

Also same question for the tape method.

Thanks!

pzogel

Reviewer
Hi @pzogel , very well put together.

About the immense LOD (which is above 2DVDs on some pads) - as you know, there is a way to fix this by going into synapse, choosing Razer Gigantus pad and then setting the LOD to 1-2mm.

Have you done any testing on how this affects the sensor?
Will setting a lower LOD in razer synapse have negative impact on the sensor performance?

Also same question for the tape method.

Thanks!

Thanks, it's appreciated.

I did try several of those presets, but struggled to tell a difference in terms of LOD—which already was lower than 2 DVDs on my pad, which appears to be close to the lowest it can get already. Testing showed no difference in regards to tracking quality, but that may be due to the presets having such little effect to begin with. From what I've heard, Razer did try to lower LOD as much as possible, but tracking issues started to emerge after a certain point. Lowering the LOD a bit by using a preset is most likely safe, however.

As for the tape trick, this works similarly for all optical sensors, i.e., no ill effects unless too much of the sensor hole is covered. Furthermore, CPI may change depending on how much is covered.

Another workaround to deal with the LOD would be to stack some Teflon tape onto the stock feet, or use some other means to increase the distance between pad and sensor. This, too, would affect actual CPI.

Hope that helps—please let me know if you have any further questions.

Desik

Thanks, it's appreciated.

I did try several of those presets, but struggled to tell a difference in terms of LOD—which already was lower than 2 DVDs on my pad, which appears to be close to the lowest it can get already. Testing showed no difference in regards to tracking quality, but that may be due to the presets having such little effect to begin with. From what I've heard, Razer did try to lower LOD as much as possible, but tracking issues started to emerge after a certain point. Lowering the LOD a bit by using a preset is most likely safe, however.

As for the tape trick, this works similarly for all optical sensors, i.e., no ill effects unless too much of the sensor hole is covered. Furthermore, CPI may change depending on how much is covered.

Another workaround to deal with the LOD would be to stack some Teflon tape onto the stock feet, or use some other means to increase the distance between pad and sensor. This, too, would affect actual CPI.

Hope that helps—please let me know if you have any further questions.

Yes, you mention a 10ms click latency after a liftoff until one of the buttons is pressed (at the end of page 5).
But apparently the firmware update that fixes this is already out.
Just a tiny detail but probably worth mentioning since it could turn some people off

nullz

Hey, great review! Is there any updates regarding the 10 ms input latency? Razers website doesn't have a firmware update for it at least.

pzogel

Reviewer
Hey, great review! Is there any updates regarding the 10 ms input latency? Razers website doesn't have a firmware update for it at least.
Thanks! Last thing I heard was that Razer's internal process for validating firmware updates has been slowed down due to Covid. I expect it to be published officially at some point, but don't know about any ETA unfortunately.

nullz

Thanks! Last thing I heard was that Razer's internal process for validating firmware updates has been slowed down due to Covid. I expect it to be published officially at some point, but don't know about any ETA unfortunately.
Good to know, makes sense that covid is slowing it down. Thanks for incredibly fast reply!

System Name The Captain (2.0)
Processor Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E AORUS Master
Cooling 280mm Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 4x Be Quiet! 140mm Silent Wings 4 (1x exhaust 3x intake)
Memory 32GB (2x16) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo (6000Mhz)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 SUPRIM X
Storage 1x Crucial MX500 500GB SSD; 1x Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 SSD; 1x WD Blue HDD, 1x Crucial P5 Plus
Display(s) Aorus CV27F 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case Phanteks Evolv X (Anthracite Gray)
Power Supply Corsair RMx (2021) 1000W 80-Plus Gold
Mouse Varies based on mood/task; is currently Razer Basilisk V3 Pro or Razer Cobra Pro
Keyboard Varies based on mood; currently Razer Blackwidow V4 75% and Hyper X Alloy 65
I tried swapping my HyperX Pulsefire Surge with the Viper Mini, which arrived in the mail yesterday. It undoubtedly felt great in my hand, side buttons were easier to reach than those on the Surge, and the glide and weight were amazing. I was excited. But then I go to use it today, and the DPI button literally screeches whenever I run my finger backwards on it! :shadedshu: Think nails on a chalkboard level annoying.

Going to return it and buy the Glorious Model D- instead, as the profile is similar to my Surge, but lighter and a tick shorter.

I got MM711 gloss white with some discount and happy since then. Kinda ironic that now I have both keyboard and mouse from CM. Last company I would expect to ever have such gear from. But they no longer make that keyboard..

Tried numerous mices (still got two Logitechs as "backup" and some other stuff left), but despite reviews, very few mices seem to actually work good as mouse..