1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

2900xt 1Gb "adapter not found" 2 cards - long _~~

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by SystemViper, Jul 7, 2008.

1. SystemViper

SystemViper

Thanks Received:
    Please help, my gut says their not burnt but just have corrupt bios or something...

so grab a coffee, lite that cig and put your feet up...

Once apon a time in a small town in connecticut a guy purchased 2 2900gt's from a friend....

Just a little background, i am in my 40's and have been building computers since he z80 and the 8088, so i am not a beginner. i also do programming and business systems as a consultant. Plus many years ago besides tech school i became a MCP in windows 95, so I have lots of expierience in dos from windows for workgroups and other early technoligies. I just can't spell - lol

I purchased 2 - ATI oem 2900xt 1G w/samsung 09 memory chips susposedly GDDR4. these cards were susposedto be working but i was saving them for a specific project and never even fired them up for the last 2 months. I trust the person i purchased them from so I don't believe he would sell me 2 dead cards. No way.

That is what makes me believe that I am just missing something in the fix. I have done a lot of reading and probally put 16 hours in the last week trying different combo's to make them work. but to the serial numbers first...

S/n 180738 029456 ATI RADEON HD2900 XT 1GB
    P/N 102B0070110 000001 made in china.......
    plus both sides of the PCB has Samsung 09's memory chips.

So i purchased the cards and put them on my shelf in anti static bags.
    About 2 weeks ago i got my Blitz extreme to start playing with the cards.
    I put one card in and all the MB lights came on and nothing on the ASUS monitor. Took the first card out and put the second card in and same thing.

Both cards have a 8pin(6to8 pin adapter) and a 6 pin in them. From a good 950w Roswill PS. Also tried a 850w but same results, the MB looks like it's going to boot but no bios screen or anything.

Next I take the cards and try them in a 750 system, one at a time, also a DFI X48 system all with the same results. With each board, i could immediatly pull out the card and put in one of several spare video cards from an ati 1300/1500 pci , 8800gts, 8500gs and a Compaq pci card, all the other cards go to the bios screen.

So my determination from that is that the card is not running it's internal post/bios routine and starting to fire up its own video signal.

So i started reading and also hooked into the thread about the 4870 and it;s bios problems related to the size of the bios and bad flashing.

I then formated a USB stick and used the compaq boot builder and made a bootable USB Stick, downloaded the atiflash program and also the bios for the 2900xt card.

So now i thought i have a tool to solve my problem, that if the bios was corrupt or wrong, i could just reflash it with the atiflash.

Just a note, i know the card has power, it has a set of red lights, if the 8 pin plug doesn't get proper voltage a red light comes on on the back side of the card, if the 6 pin doesn't get voltage, then a red light comes on right behind the plug. All the red lights are out, which is a sign that it is getting proper voltage.

So now I start to go to work with ATIFLASH, i run it nd read all the switches that i can use and what they do.

I try everything, and it is always the same result, "no adapter found"

I have tried to use a PCi card to boot and use atiflash, nada, plus i tried another pcie x16 card and same result, they never see the 2900.

i will try some things tonight..... and hopefully have some good newzzzzzzz :banghead:

2. SystemViper

SystemViper

Thanks Received:
    bump, anyone, want to buy both cards and try instead of me/////

3. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
    ^^:roll: sure hope they won't be DOA

4. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    How cheap are they to try?

5. SystemViper

SystemViper

Thanks Received:
    I have 2 ati 2900xt 1gb samsung .09 memory, like i said i got them from a friend/reputible seller and both cards "cannot be seen" I can't believe that both cards would be DOA exactly the same way, plus i know that the seller said they were working when he sent them and he reflashed them to the original bios. but gave no help after that.

I didin'[t even try to use them till i got my asus blitz, say 2-3 months, I purchased 2 acellero 2900 extremes and put both of them on, plus purchased 2 waterblocks for the cards.

now i am stuck with 2 cards that "no adaptors found" and all the goodies but no use. I think i will try some other stuff this weekend but i am clueless and very frustrated,

any idea's

6. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
    I would remove the addon coollers put the orginals back on & hope that they will boot ....could be the addons shorted them :(

7. SystemViper

SystemViper

Thanks Received:
    tried that, but there is no shorts, i have been building systems for a long time and was very carefull
    I even put the cards under a big magnifying glass to see if there was any components that looked stressed and non did

but the cards only run at 40% fan to start and i figured that was to much heat so i put the accelero's back on them...while i am tryign to restore the bios.

thanks for thinking about it though, it gets crazy just focusing on these, I know that it has to be the bios, i just need a new way to get to it,

I jsut build a vista system, i will try winatiflash tomorrow, plus a ati bios editor to see if i can break the barrier and re lite them

8. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
    so you can get the cards to run with the orig cooler?????? or are you just stating the fans bios start speed ....could be the addon is just dead shorting the card @ some point

9. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
    with 'not found' code winflash won't work also

10. SystemViper

SystemViper

Thanks Received:
    yea, but still got to try,..

they acted the same with original cooler and with accelero

i have always wanted the 2900xt 1Gb's and now they are pulling up lame...

again i can't see 2 cards burning out exactly the same way at he same time.

11. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
    I would confirm with your bud that they worked after he re-flashed the bios ..if he can't & if he was the orig owner & has the reciepts MAYBE you/he could try an rma good luck

12. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hopefully the original owner tested the cards after they flashed them. Did you try using a vga adapter, or a different dvi cable?

13. SystemViper

SystemViper

Thanks Received:
    hi, yea, i am lucky enough to have multiple monitors and multiple systems to try them on, so i can validate it 2 ways.

tomorrow it's in vista, i will try winatiflash and a ati bios editor. i jsut need to get a glimmer of a card and then i will somehow lite them up, have t o stay postitve, have to persevere.... these are such sweet cards.....

just got 3970x2 in today, kinda looks like the 2900's//// lol

he said he did, and also i ahve been dealing with him for years, so I know it's not a burn job

I used a dos usb stick and atiflash and always got "adapter not found"

in XP/64
    once i did run the 2900 drivers and cpuz came up with a second pulldown that was blank and when it was selected it was a lot of FFf FFF FFF 's and the driver was ati(something) but after trying to run winatifladsh it hung, then i tried to load new drivers dn it was gone....but i think i almost had it..

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  14. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
    SystemViper says thanks.
  15. SystemViper

SystemViper

Thanks Received:
  16. SystemViper

SystemViper

Thanks Received:
    now i got to find the "flash chip "

17. SystemViper

SystemViper

Thanks Received:
    found it, now time to solder pins 1 and 8 lol

18. SystemViper

SystemViper

Thanks Received:
    well got both 2900xt's with wires on pin 1 and 8, it took a while to find the bios chip, but now they both got wires on them and i will try this trick tomorrow....

here's to sometin!

[​IMG]

19. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
    Hope all went well?????? any results yet