1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

2Gb DC or 3Gb SC?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Kaimyu, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Kaimyu New Member

Thanks Received:
    As the title says: 2Gb DC or 3Gb SC?

Assuming that both configs will run at the same speed, 760Mhz 5-5-5-15, which setup will give me the best performance (real world, not synthetic thanks :p)?

---A few more extra details just in case----
    FSB - 380 @ 1:1 ratio
    Ram - 667mhz kingston value ram, with fy-p5 chips @ 2.1v (voltage locked by mobo.)
    Chipset - 945P (yeah i know...)

Thanks
  2. Marcos669 New Member

Thanks Received:
    2GB dual channel will be better at the moment, but in short time i think the games will need 3Gb Ram, so ┬┐why no 4GB dual channel?
  3. Kaimyu New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have a spare 1gb stick lying around gathering dust, and it seems kinda pointless to buy a new kit for a rather old system
  4. Marcos669 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Then 2GB dual channel will be the best
  5. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    If the application uses more than 2-2.5GB of RAM 3GB single channel would be faster if below 2GB is in use the bandwidth of the DC would help a bit. If you use XP as the os 2GB dc would make more sense to me. If you use VISTA or W7 they know how to use extra spare GB of RAM.
  6. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    @r9
    The average user will never see (for now at present) an application/game use over 1.5GB. Only thing I have seen eat up ram like that was photoshop, by my own personal use.

@Kaimyu
    Stick with 3GB, it will help with multitasking. Although if going to heavily multitask your load time with apps will be greatly reduced due to slower bandwith. Same can be said with gaming, the extra 1GB would help but loading times would be longer.