1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

2gb DDR600 4 sticks or 2gb DDR500 2 sticks?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by AMDCam, Feb 1, 2006.

1. AMDCam New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey, I'm wondering what will give me more performance. It's gonna be dual-channel either way but I heard 4 sticks makes you run "2T" or something like that and 2 sticks lets you run "1T" and 1T is better. So what's better, about 1.2ghz+ (theoretically with dual-channel) or 1ghz+ (theoretically, please please don't start an insult stream about how it's "NOT literally 1ghz". Thanks guys

2. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i chose 2 gig at 1T over 3 gig at 2T.. sold off very cheap my two spare 512 sticks when i went 2 gig..

why.. cos i decided i would never need 3 gig..

now if i just had the four 512 sticks and had the choice of 1 gig at 1T or 2 gig at 2t i would pick more and slower..

its all about whether or not u need that extra memory.. not having enough memory dosnt make things go a little slower it makes em go a lot slower.. hardrive swop fileing makes up the missing memory if its needed.. and its very very slow indeed compared to real memory..

sooo do u need the extra little bit.. now in fear for example i could not play the highest resolution with 1 gig.. exactly how much more than 1 gig i needed i will never know cos i jumped straight up to 2 gig.. if u have the game try it with both amounts and see what happens..

in real life performance the difference between one and two T is about the same as the difference tween 333 and 400 in memory speeds.. not a massive amount with the amd 64 chip..

trog

ps.. i might have misunderstood your question slightly if my answer dont make much sense..

"about 1.2ghz+ (theoretically with dual-channel) or 1ghz+" i thought u were talking amounts.. not so sure now.. he he

Last edited: Feb 1, 2006
  3. xdaxxchampxx New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think hes asking if he should get 4x512 stix at ddr600(1,200mhz) or 2x1gb stix at ddr500(1,000mhz) if im correct here. Now i dont know about amd systems that much but if its true that the 4 sticks will revert u back to 2T and the 2 sticks will let u go to the 1T i think you will be better off with the 2x1gb sticks just get a good brand with tight timings so u can OC it nicly :toast:

4. mixa New Member

Thanks Received:
    It`s better to use 2 x 1GB sticks in any case.Well still you`ll cut off the performance of the memory controller but when 2 sticks are used there is a much higher chance to run the memory at 1T.Another problem that may occur when using 4 modules is that the memory controller may not be able to run them at 300MHz at all (even 250MHz may be hard to reach).

5. bruins004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have seen this before in many forums. If you used 4 sticks or 2 sticks, the performance will be the same. The reason for that is that the four sticks will run at 2T and the two sticks will tun at 1T. Therefore, dont waste your money. The best way to go is the 2x 1GB sticks currently. But there should be no reason why anyone would need 4 GBs, except for servers since they can handle 4 sticks of RAM.

6. AMDCam New Member

Thanks Received:
    Alright thanks a lot guys. So DDR600 is more expensive and literally pointless if I go 2T with the underclock and the 2T would make it as slow as DDR500. So I'll go 2 sticks of DDR500 (2gb). But can you guys help me with these 2 choices? I'm looking for better overclocking ability, not so much latency even though I know that's a factor in overclocking. I LOVE Corsair but the OCZ looks like it lets more ventilation than XMS RAM. Thanks guys

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2E16820227066,N82E16820145596&SubCategory=147

7. xdaxxchampxx New Member

Thanks Received:
    i think the OCZ is better for OCing :cool:

8. AMDCam New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks man, anyone else think that? I don't want to leave Corsair but the OCZ really looks better.

By the way, with dual-channel, is the bandwidth/speed literally doubled? I just always remember Dan telling me "it's not literally twice the speed" but when I think about it, dual-channel with 500mhz sticks in each channel at 32-bit bandwidth on each channel seems to me like it would be pretty much 1ghz, or if you say it like AMD's on-chip fsb, they say it's not 2ghz but works on the beginning and end of processes which doubles the power and makes it 2mts or whatever.

9. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    in sysoft sandras memory benchmarks.. at 400 speeds u get about 3000 single channel 6000 dual channel.. looks a hell of a difference.. dont seem to translate like that thow in 3dmark2005.. which i think represenst real lfe gaming speeds pretty well..

a difference in memory speed from 400 to 500 will give u about 30 points on your score.. which in a real life gaming situation would not be noticable.. my memory wont do 500.. but slowing it down to 333 from 400 drops the 2005 score by a mind boggling 19 points.. he he he

i am guessing at the difference 400 to 500 would make.. i dont recon i am far wrong thow..

eveywhere u go its faster memory is good and needed and worth the money.. nobody ever comes up with figures.. i just have and they dont look that impressive..

going from 333 to 400 for a whoppping 19 extra points in 2005.. gee whizz bang what a performance increase... he he he

trog

10. AMDCam New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay, but I would think loading RAM from games like F.E.A.R. would increase performance about 20% because it would go from 800mhz (400mhz dual-channel) system RAM (which HAS to be accessed with all the memory FEAR needs) to 1ghz (500mhz dual-channel) and at least with Graphics RAM, 200mhz is a helluva performance booster. Thanks guys

11. internal New Member

Thanks Received:
    Since you have an intel board it doesn't care.

Intel memory controllers can run 4stick+ in 1t mode.

12. AMDCam New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh...no man, I'm talking about my desktop lol. Everyone gets confused with that! My desktop is a S939 AMD (check the "system specs" tab under my name).

Also, I'm wondering now since DDR mobo's NEVER (I've never seen one) say they support over 400mhz (DDR400), will the stock clock with the new RAM go down to 400 until I overclock it? Just wondering, because if it's not compatible then I got an easy decision, just 2gb XMS Pro DDR400 (those LEDs really, REALLY help when you get a problem in the computer).

Last edited: Feb 2, 2006
  13. internal New Member

Thanks Received:
    The mboards don't say "ddr500" but its allowed through the bios by upping your HT (Fsb on intels).

So you will have to make bios changes to get ram to run at 400mhz+.

Even my old NSC-939 board went all they way up to DDR550 when I had the gskills HZ stuff.

14. AMDCam New Member

Thanks Received:
    Alright sweet, thanks man. Anyone else have an opinion on which I should get? The OCZ Gold or XMS? Thanks guys