1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

2nd PSU fan won't spin

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by KBD, Sep 3, 2008.

1. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just got a brand new Seasonic M12 600W for a build i'm doing and i having a problem with it. The first thing i do when i get a new PSU is test it with my Rexus PSU tester (the one w/ LCD screen). So as usual i plugged in the 24 pin and 8 pin connectors into the PSU tester and plugged in the power cord. Everything is OK (good voltages, etc), except for the fact that the 2nd 60mm fan on the PSU won't spin, in fact it starts spinning for about 1 second and then stops. The big 140mm works fine. What does this mean, do i have a bad PSU? The only thing i can think of is that the other fan will start when i plug more stuff into a PSU (remember i only plugged in 2 connectors for testing). I'm gonna start testing the other connectors one by one as per the PSU tester's manual, may be it will start spinning? Anyway, has anyone ever heard of this kinda thing before?
  2. Viscarious New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its prolly only for when the PSU trips its thermal limit and then kicks on.
  3. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    So this is normal for a PSU w/ 2 fans? Everything else checks out: i tested all connectors one by one and they are good. Voltages are almost perfect as well, so i can't find anything wrong with it other than that silly fan.
  4. Viscarious New Member

Thanks Received:
    I dont see any reason not to use it. One 80mm fan isnt going to do much anyways. And since its got a 140mm fan as well, you'd be crazy to send it back and wait for a week or two just for 20-30 CFM.
  5. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    I didn't say i'm sending it back, i'm just trying to find out if this is normal. I'm going to call Seasonic and ask them, hopefully they can answer my question.
  6. Viscarious New Member

Thanks Received:
    I hope so too, haha. Im betting its a thermal trip thing.
    KBD says thanks.
  7. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    I read in a magazine that this is common, the second fan just kicks in if the temps are too high or at a certain level. So dont worry.
    KBD says thanks.
  8. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree, what you say makes sense, still i'd like to hear it from them. I'll post an answer after i find out. I hope their tech support is not horrible.

Edit: thnx MRCL. Looks like we posted at the sime time, lol
  9. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    More than likely a thermal trip that starts the fan spinning. I've gotten a few PSU's that do that, though usually they have a sticker on them telling you the fan might not spin unless it is needed.

Edit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...ption=SeaSonic M12 SS-600HM 600W Power Supply

If you look at the picture from newegg, the sticker I was talking about is supposed to be on your Seasonic. Maybe they just left it off at the factory as an oversight or something, but that fan is definitely temperature activated. It is hard to read in that picture, but the sticker says "Temperature Activated Fan Rotates only when required".
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
    KBD says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  10. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    duh, boy am i dumb. i didn't even see that sticker until you pointed it out. I read the manual and the other sticker with voltages but not that one. In that case problem solved. thnx newtekie :)