1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

2nd SSD installed. weird problem.

Discussion in 'Storage' started by andrewsmc, Mar 10, 2013.

1. andrewsmc

andrewsmc

Thanks Received:
    Probably an easy fix, But i am not sure how to handle this.

If you look at the pic you can clearly see I have my first SSD set up as C: and I just installed my second SSD, and it shows the partitioned section as 350mb F:

Well, I just want it to look like a normal drive and not have a 350mb partition. What am I missing?? :laugh:

Attached Files:

• pic3.png
      pic3.png
      File size:
      93.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    That looks like the a duplicate Windows boot loader. Did you install Windows on to both drives or recover using the CD after burning the new drive in?

3. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    It looks like he cloned the C drive for some reason.

Solution: from that same window, right click on the partition you want to change -> Extend Volume. Then make the G Volume take up the entire HDD -> Apply. Let it do its thing. You can then do the same thing to change the drive letter if you want.

4. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    for Disk 1, ( F & G), right click each partition and delete them. Then quick format the drive.

It looks like the drive was previously used as a boot drive. Did you get it new or used?

5. andrewsmc

andrewsmc

Thanks Received:
    I had windows on it, It was in my lappy. And I didn't format it to take it out.

6. andrewsmc

andrewsmc

Thanks Received:
    Ok, I went ahead and did what was suggested and all is looking good. Now, Does it still have TRIM enabled? I thought that the partition was for TRIM? I will be putting files/games on this drive.

7. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Please don't multi-post. There is a multi-quote and edit button for a reason and multi-posting is also against the forum rules.

TRIM doesn't need anything special other than OS support for it. I would backup everything you need then just do a full format of the second SSD wiping everything off of it.

HammerON says thanks.
  8. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    The 350 MB partition is the boot loader for Windows.

9. terrastrife New Member

Thanks Received:
    That IS NOT the boot loader.
    The boot loader is stored on your primary partition.
    This is however, a backup of your bootloader is is required if you use bitlocker. If you don't use bitlocker, you can get rid of this at Windows Installation (by deleting the big partition then extending the 350MB one to the full disk).
    Don't delete it now though.

But this is from an old windows install so go ahead and kill it on the second ssd.

10. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    It is a windows bootloader, it isn't the one you use but rather the one from the machine that the drive came from.

Might as well format it.

terrastrife says thanks.
  11. terrastrife New Member

Thanks Received:
    the files you boot from are stored on your C drive, the recovery partitions contains the backup (for start up repair without a windows disc) and also bitlocker encryption files. you will notice your Boot partition (marked as boot in disk management) is C, not system reserved.

during windows installation you can safely remove it, it's not essential. however if you already have it, i suspect windows will be expecting it so don't remove it after on your active disk.

the op knows that the disk came from a different computer, i explained what exactly that partition is, and why, and when it is safe to remove.

Hood says thanks.