• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

2TB WD Passport Drive Signature Issues

Nebulously

System Name Desktop
Processor i7-2600k
Motherboard Asus P8z68-v Pro
Cooling Corsair H50
Memory 12GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) PNY GTX 470
Storage Intel 330 240GB SSD, WD Black 1TB & 750GB
Display(s) Acer 20" P201w & Acer 22" X223w
Case Corsair Carbide 500R
Power Supply Corsair HX Series 620W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
So I have two 2TB passports. When I tried to plug both of them in, windows would only recognize the first one. The second one would show up under the "eject device" option but would not show in my computer or disk management.

I read online that this is likely caused by disk signature collisions. There were suggestions to put the disk "online" through disk management, but mine wasn't showing up there. I was able to find the disk using command prompt and "diskpart". Since I wanted to keep the data stored on the drive intact, I manually changed the ID using "uniqueid disk id=x". However, I obviously didn't know what ID to assign it, and used the example one from the help command.

Now my passport is showing up as a USB video device on my computer and I can't figure out how to get it turned back into a drive. I've tried searching on google, but either I'm looking for the wrong thing or no one else has been this stupid. x_x

So, is there a way to change the ID back to the original? Or is there any software that can rewrite the mbr (guessing that's what got messed up?)? I suppose losing the info on the drive is alright as long as I get the drive back.

looks like your passport... has expired :cool:

if it's not in device manager, that's a major problem, MBR is the least of your worries & would not fix that

i have an idea, i'm wondering if it's just the enclosure itself that has a problem, i would try plugging the drive directly to the mobo's sata (something to try, no guarantee)

Nebulously

System Name Desktop
Processor i7-2600k
Cooling Corsair H50
Well, the drive acted just fine when plugged in by itself. It loaded correctly in my computer and device manager. The only problem was when it was plugged in with my other 2TB passport. It's showing up in device manager now, but as the USB video device I mentioned in the first post.

Nebulously

System Name Desktop
Processor i7-2600k
Cooling Corsair H50
Please close the thread, I was able to exchange it for a new one at Costco.