1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

2TB Western Digital WD20EARS Caviar Green Desktop Hard Drive $100

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by Oscnn, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Oscnn

Oscnn New Member

Thanks Received:
    mrsemi, TIGR and Soylent Joe say thanks.
  2. t77snapshot

t77snapshot

Thanks Received:
    nice!

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    That's what I paid for mine when it was on sale at Newegg. Great drive, almost as fast as my Velociraptor when it comes to transfer rates. Seek time is 3x higher though.

TIGR says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    these EARS drives kick ass, I have 2x 1.5tb versions.

64mb cache and some new way of organising its data if im not mistaken.

5. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Can green drives be flashed to blue? My friend got the green 640 awhile ago cause it was cheaper but he hates the spin-up lag.

6. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    I am going to go with no and why would you want to?

7. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Speed, this isn't a laptop drive. A few watts is hardly significant. And the price remark should have explained it was not purchased for power. It should work if the only difference between a green and blue is the ramp down of speed, the max speed is the same. So if changing the firmware could stop it from changing speeds...

8. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    There is more to it than just some minor changes in the firmware. This is not a stock drive that they tune into three different categories. Unlike CPU's and other chips, HDD have LARGE moving parts. Running them beyond spec can create a head crash and mess up all your data. To be blunt, green drives are made with cheaper parts and the lower speed helps to increase their life span and reduce failure. The whole (going green) was just advertisement to sale drives.

Secondly, it is 2 TB of storage space and no one needs that kinda room on a system drive. Hardcore computer addicts keep our data and OS on separate drives for a lot of reasons. "Screw it, I will just reformat it and start over." is one of those reasons.

Finally, look at stats. Do you see an forum posts online bragging about taking a WD green and ramping it up to a WD Black or Blue? No. Do you think anyone who has enough data to need a 2 TB drive would risk that must data lose on a relatively small performance boost? No. Do you really think we haven't tried, cause I have with an external I didn't need anymore.

Also for the same price range you can get a 1TB Sammy F3 or WD Black, or 2 500 GB of these two and go RAID. Both options will yield much better speed, give you a valid warranty for 2 years longer than a WD Green (If they are all the same, why is the warranty lower? I wonder?), and will give you better performance than any WD Blue.

Edit: Also I have this drive. It is plenty fast once you get it going. The spin-up time is a pain in the ass at times and I wouldn't defrag it while watching a moving from it either.

9. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I said 640. And who said black? It's well known blacks have a different proc arrangement. The blues should be the same as greens. Are you sure they use cheaper parts on the green to extend life? That seems contradictory.

10. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    I paid $55 for 320GB Blue a couple of months ago!!! Sonovabitch!!

What I fail to tell you is that I got it from Best Buy.

11. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    The use cheaper parts. The LOWER THE SPEED TO EXTEND LIFE SPAN. It was a compound complex sentence and intended to be read as to separate statements. Since they were related I connected them together using a conjunction junction.

12. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
  13. vanessa New Member

Thanks Received:
  14. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    It does have a link to a place that sells that drive for the price listed.

newegg.com has the same offer, but with a rebate. That place may have just decided to handle the rebates for you.

15. mrsemi

Thanks Received:
    No way I can pass it up now, price dropped to 99.99 with a $10.00 instant rebate and a $20.00 mail in rebate card.

$70.00 when it's all said & done.

Original post in September?