1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

3/8 pump and rad compatibility with ½ tubing?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by 2003CRF450GUY, Jun 15, 2007.

1. 2003CRF450GUY New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello I just peace together a swiftech liquid cooling system with the following parts.

MCP350 12 VDC Pump
    MCR120 Quiet Power series Radiators
    Apogee extreme duty universal water block

All of these parts come with 3/8 fittings only the water block has removable barbs for 3/8 and ½ fittings. So my question is, would I benefit from using 3/8 to ½ house adaptors and use ½ tubing? Or would I be better off to stick with 3/8 tubing seeing as both the rad and the pump are a fixed 3/8. Thanks for the help people :respect:
  2. d44ve New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would use 3/8"

Its not going to do you any good going bigger after it is already 3/8"

Plus, the cooling difference is minimal
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
  3. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, d44ve is right, jus stick with 3/8". Using 1/2" tubing on 3/8" fittings won't do you any good.

In fact, if the transition from one size to the other isn't smooth enough, it can actually stall the water flow.
  4. 2003CRF450GUY New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks guys that’s just what I wanted to hear, I’m going to go with primo chill coolant is that a good coolant? It says its nonconductive so if it did leak it wouldn’t fry my pc would it?:toast:
  5. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I have no experience with the PrimoChill, but I do know that FluidXP, MCT-40, and MCT-5 are all non-conductive. d44ve uses a non-conductive liquid as well, but I forget what it is. Maybe he'll chime in and let us know.

Me, personally, I just use automotive coolant and distilled water. I'm not too worried about leaks, cause I'm always in my pc dusting and checking things at least once a week. (I run 5 120mm intake fans without filters, so the once a week cleansing is necessary for me. lol)
  6. d44ve New Member

Thanks Received:

I have heard great things about the FluidXP and the MCT's.

Personally I use PC ICE and like it alot. I have spilled it on my MB and did not have any issues with it.

I do need to buy some more coolant as I am getting a new case and like to change out the coolant after once and awhile.... I think this time I am going to try the Fluid XP since I have heard so many good things about them.

Also, I do not have much experiance about PrimoChill either and havent heard much on it either.