1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

3 TB hard drive not recognized on Dell T1600

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Zebeon, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Zebeon

Thanks Received:
    I ordered a 3 TB hard drive for a friend of mine. I got it from newegg and wanted to format it before I took it to him, I tried it in a Thermaltake Black X usb dock, and it only seen it as like 734 G or something like even when using GPT partition type, so after looking around the web, I decided that it would not work in the dock. (windows 7 x64)
    I hooked it up in my computer and away I went, 2.7T of space or so, all is well right....
    So I take it to him and hook it up to his Dell T1600 (internal) and it does not even show up in disk manager (windows 7 x64)- Look in Bios and it showed it but only like 800G or so in bios, but not at all in windows. I updated the bios on his dell to the newest one, and also updated the intel storage driver to the newest version also. No luck. :banghead:
    Any thoughts?
    Also, since the 3T will not work, what is the biggest size that will 1.5, 2, ect....
    Need to get a drive for internal and then going to get an external drive of the same size to use as backup.

noted: this is not for a boot drive it will be a second disk for data storage.

Many thanks!

2. Zebeon

Thanks Received:
    no comments, smart ass comments.. nothing at all....?

Mostly wanted to know about the largest size that will work in the dell?

I tried a 3t (external) drive on my dell (1500)at work and it recognized it... not sure...

3. _Zod_ New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would say max 1.5TB

Zebeon says thanks.
  4. Zebeon

Thanks Received:
    went with 1.5T drive, worked like a champ-
    Thanks