1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

30 Games That Emerged from Development Hell

Discussion in 'Games' started by qubit, Jul 23, 2011.

1. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    They've split it into three sections: More than worth the wait, Better late than never ... barely & We waited for this?

Some hot classics are in there, such as Half-Life 2 and Fallout 3. Now, where do you think Duke Nukem Forever came in? ;) Could it have been in the Better late than never ... barely, section?

http://www.metacritic.com/feature/games-that-shed-vaporware-status?page=0

streetfighter 2 says thanks.
  2. H82LUZ73

H82LUZ73

Thanks Received:
    yeah in 10 years they will put wtf went wrong with HL2 episode 3.

3. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    I'm not holding my breath for anymore games. I'd rather enjoy what I have today or is confirmed to come rather than dwindle on this false sense of hope. While Duke Nukem Forever wasn't awful, it still had quite a few glitches and flaws that did not make it stand out to me at all. If Valve releases Episode 3, great....if they don't....f*ck em, because I'm not holding out on them anymore.

4. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I'm pissed about HL3 turning into vapourware. HL2 and it's EP's were awesome, so I want the final instalment sooner rather than later.

I've read that it's the success of the Steam platform that has derailed it. If so, how come they could release L4D, L4D2, Portal and Portal 2 in this time? Outsourced development or not, they could have done HL3 one way or another. And make it awesome.

5. Champ

Champ

Thanks Received:
    I don't know what kind of development woes FO3 and Oblivion went thru, but I know one day people will go back to play it like we do some older 2D games now. I'm feeling Happita. I have huge hopes for Skyrim. They've probably been in a circus developing that game since Oblivion. I haven't pre-ordered a game in 3 or 4 years and this is the first one since. I also plan to be at the local release party.

6. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    since valve have been using the same engine for years now i'd expect their trying to do number 3 with a new one but it's taking awhile/got delayed etc.

7. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    I think he meant Episode 3, not Half-Life 3. They are said to be working on both. HL3 will use a whole new engine, but Episode 3 should pop up on the Source Engine. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if they made it on the new HL3 engine as like a prelude to HL3 and a sneak peek of what said engine can do.

Some of the items on this list are misleading. A lot of them took so long because of bizarre situations. There are also a lot of games on there that really tried to push the boundries, which explains why it took so long to make. When nobody has ever done what you are trying to do, it's a lot harder. Prime example; Spore. Spore took a long time because when it was being made, it was a complex as hell game. Still is for the most part, but since it has already been made, it wouldn't take a development team too long to just copy large portions of it.

Team Fortress 2 was never really in development hell. Yes, there was a crappy version made on the old HL1 engine, but Valve didn't feel it offered anything new so they scrapped the content and started from scratch after HL2 came out. I know a similar situation happened with SC2. Blizzard wanted to make it using a refined version of the WC3 engine, but decided to hold off because they had staffing problems and had to start throwing developers at WoW since it was literally a money tree.

I'd be more interested in seeing some games that are currently in development hell. Looking at you Diablo 3, Doom 4, and Half-Life 2: Episode 3 :p

qubit says thanks.
  8. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Thinking about it, I actually meant both.

I agree with the rest, too. Good post. :)

9. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:

Valve said that they will not be doing anymore episodic content which leads me to believe there might not be an Episode 3 and they might just finish out with Half-Life 3. The Source engine is very flexible, but i still hope they start with a fresh engine for the next Half-Life game.

10. H82LUZ73

H82LUZ73

Thanks Received:
    The above was the point of my post,I am looking forward to games in development also,I heard a rumor ID is remaking Quke ,I never played the 96 one and will wait and see what Rage is like before i buy Doom4.Doom3 had all the hype but when you played it it was really this took 5 years to make....As for HL2 episode 3 it has been since 07 that the last one was out(ep2).And the ending really got me.If they are making HL3 and release EP3 with it then that is all good.