• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Truthear Hexa In-Ear Monitors

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Truthear returns to the party with the 1 DD, 3 BA hybrid driver set called Hexa. It takes a lot of the successful features from the commercially and critically successful ZERO, and pairs the same dynamic driver with three custom balanced armature units for a more natural presentation and a further extended frequency response.

Show full review

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
@SOAREVERSOR sorry I have no idea why you aren't able to comment here until now.

System Name Intel 2023
Processor Intel Core i5 13600KF
Motherboard Gigabyte B660M Aourus Pro
Cooling Custom water cooling loop
Memory 2x16gb Adata PC 3600
Video Card(s) AMD 6950XT
Storage 2TB Corsair MP600
Display(s) Nixeus 27 EDG
Case Phanteks P600
Audio Device(s) Topping DX3 Pro +
Power Supply Corsair RM850
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Womier K87 with Tecsee Purple Panda switches
Software Win 11 Pro 64bit
Benchmark Scores Unfortunately no time anymore to benchmark....
Pretty good review like always.
Thanks.

Reactions: VSG

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Hi VSG,

do you plan to review Tea 2?
Hi, probably not. I have it here but ultimately I thought it was mediocre in what it offered for the money. I'll review the XENNS TOP though, I have it here and it's certainly more impressive.

Hark

Cool. It's just that TOP's price is, well... top. :-/

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Cool. It's just that TOP's price is, well... top. :-/
True, but as I replied to you before- if you are in the market for IEMs in the price range of the Tea 2 then I'd generally recommend the AFUL Performer 5 or the JQ 4Upro. The XENNS Mangird Tea 2 is smooth (Performer 5 does it better) and not doing anything particularly better than the competition. If you can be more specific on what you are wanting these IEMs for, I can see if something else comes to mind.

Hark

Yeah, thanks for the recommendations. It's not so much a critique of the Top pricing as it just seems that performance wise, hybrids really start to dominate at $500 price. But, with evolution of IEM market in the last few years, maybe in 2023 we'll see the price drop.

As you mentioned JQ 4U Pro, do you plan a detailed review?

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Yeah, thanks for the recommendations. It's not so much a critique of the Top pricing as it just seems that performance wise, hybrids really start to dominate at $500 price. But, with evolution of IEM market in the last few years, maybe in 2023 we'll see the price drop.

I might do a quick look article of it. The issue is there are so many pending products that the lag time between when I get products in to when I submit them to when they eventually get published can be 2-3 months at times now so I have to be selective on what to do.

Looks good for the money. But I get a feeling it's not actually competing with the things people are claiming it is. I do prefer the minimalist look. The all black cable is a nice change but more foam tips please. Also do they sell filters for these? I've ended up having to deal with that mess sfrom other brainds.

I wouldn't say that hybrids really start to dominate at $500. There's a few things going on here with that.

The largest is that there is chifi and then there is hifi and these are not the same. While chifi has gone full out driver war and hybrids that's largely within chifi. Go to hifi and this is just not the case. The top brands and performers are a mix of multiple balance at low counts, single BA, or even single dynamics (these can hit 1500 bucks). These aren't no name brands either it's Shure, Westone, Sony, Sennheiser, JVC, Campfire etc. When it comes down to performance and quality the chifi brands really do not stack up. That's fine! As neither side of this is really competing with each other. If you go to amazon and Schenzen audio you are mostly going to get bombarded with chifi products all sporting more and more drivers up and down the price stack. But if you go to a really dedicated Western or Japanese hifi dealer you're not going to see it. In rare cases you will see brands that made it over the hurdle like Hifiman or Moondrop and managed to get the thumbs up from the hifi side of things but their prices for these things are going up and up for multi driver configurations with each generation while staying low with single drivers.

It's also worth pointing out that when you get into hybrid or large driver counts form hifi companies their products easily cost 10x the price of the chifi. The chifi obvious is copying the type of art, shape of the shell, plates, materials, and even driver counts but they simply do not compete with either. So when people say "x chifi product punches above it's weight" they do not mean in any way shape or form that it's taking on hifi companies. What that means is compared to other chifi units costing as much or more, often even from the same company, it's punching above it's weight.

Also the brutal chifi hybrid fights all see to kick off right around the three hundred buck mark.

My prediction is that chifi prices are going to go up up and up! Which is good for them and how market competition should work. The bad stuff competes to the bottom of the barrel and they good stuff competes to make more and more expensive stuff to make sure their brand keeps it's good name, perception of value, and raises it's perception of quality in the market. So we are getting a lot of dirt cheap stuff and innovation in the low end, and the desired companies and desired configurations are doing the right thing and raises prices and making more and more costly units.

Hark

I would mostly disagree with this assesment.

e. g. Westone is a laughing stock in the hobby. I don't remember one recommended model, outside of the hifi shill circut. Campfire is also mostly known for it's Andromeda model, the rest get mostly divided or critical opinions. It's got a strong following in the USA as a local brand.

Back 5 years ago getting IEMs/earbuds in the West were mostly a crapshoot, you got in the hifi store, allocate the money, choose a brand and hope for the best. (Most shops in my area didn't allow to demo anything.)

Last few years the scene really exploded or the West realised what was happening in the East. Regarding chifi price increase, as the brands get established, prices go up, but every few months new hungry company come and is redefining the price brackets. I don't see this stopping anytime soon.

I would mostly disagree with this assesment.

e. g. Westone is a laughing stock in the hobby. I don't remember one recommended model, outside of the hifi shill circut. Campfire is also mostly known for it's Andromeda model, the rest get mostly divided or critical opinions. It's got a strong following in the USA as a local brand.

Back 5 years ago getting IEMs/earbuds in the West were mostly a crapshoot, you got in the hifi store, allocate the money, choose a brand and hope for the best. (Most shops in my area didn't allow to demo anything.)

Last few years the scene really exploded or the West realised what was happening in the East. Regarding chifi price increase, as the brands get established, prices go up, but every few months new hungry company come and is redefining the price brackets. I don't see this stopping anytime soon.

Still have different opinions here but somewhat agree. Westone was a/is a pro product. Shure can also quickly fall into this in some areas. These aren't consumer first products. As for Campfire there are chifi brands really known for one or two models at best with the rest being divide or critical. Some have large followings just based off collecting child anime art.

I strongly disagree that it was a crap shoot. Etyomtic has been known about since like 80's or 90's. Sennheiser is ancient in the IEM/buds space as well. Sony also follow the same design and hifi area and they aren't new either or are brands like JVC. Furthermore the mutli driver resin and custom high end companys have been around a lot longer than five years. I've had all these products since the 90s in some cases and prior to the iPhone in others.

That's just it. There are seperate markets in audio. Really chifi, hifi, mass consumer, and eco system (airpods) aren't directly competing with each. The fun thing about chifi is it's so dirt cheap and wild in execution you can get and try out a lot. It's always been known as "cheap and chearfull" and fun but it's not end gameish.

I actually blame apple and the yanking of the 3.5 jack for the total shift. Followed by the ocean of DACs and DAC amps that flooded the market and then the "wait I can use this on my PC as well" ushering a ton of people who had no clue about the entire thing and then being followed by an onslaught of IEMs to follow. It's fun hobby. I bought the Truth Ear x Crincale off the review here and another place and also because it seemed a fun and crazy project.

Hark

I've never heard about Etymotic since few years ago. I've had Sennheiser products for more than two decades. I concur that audio markets are separated. Consumer, pro and audiophile are mostly different worlds. And it is true that there are chi-fi brands known for one or two notable models, so it's not only Campfire. But I don't think that $1000+ chi-fi IEM's are "cheap and cheerful".

I've never heard about Etymotic since few years ago. I've had Sennheiser products for more than two decades. I concur that audio markets are separated. Consumer, pro and audiophile are mostly different worlds. And it is true that there are chi-fi brands known for one or two notable models, so it's not only Campfire. But I don't think that $1000+ chi-fi IEM's are "cheap and cheerful".

Yes kilobuck chifi is "cheap and cheerful" compared to what's in the other markets. IE I had a Moondrop A8 which was 599. They realized they had a good brand so they did the right thing and killed that product and released the S8 at 699 (always always always keep raising the prices of your midrange and higher end products, that's how they stay valid, only lower prices on your low end and dirt cheap tier. never lower the price on your good stuff, ever) both were good.

That may seem costly to some, but it's not compared to say JH Audio or 64 Audio products that easily double the price off the bat for a smiliar amount of drivers and designs. And those kilobuck chifi products are dirt damn cheap compared to the 3k-5k iems as well. I've had JH Audio products before. To compare one of the most price chifi brands sold an 8 driver option at 599, when it worked did the smart thing and immediately killed it off and raised the price to 699 for the next version. JH is hifi and it's 1499 for 8 drivers a full 900 and then 800 more. It's a better product as well. And as Moondrop gets closer in quality they should keep killing off the old lines and raising the price by 100 to 200 per generation. For now, it's still "cheap and cheerfull".

Take it out a bit further all those 200-1k DACs and AMPS compared to the multiple thousand to tens of thousands products that come out of Western or Japanese hifi. Very few chifi companies compete here. Those that do are edge cases like Hifiman who have a quasi cult following, even they though aren't fully directly competing and their 15k DAC AMP may seem eye wateringly expensive until you look around a bit and realize that's actually really cheap for what you are going to get.

To get back to Truthear. 79 bucks for a single dynamic and 2 BA is a steal. The package with it is great as well. The same can be said for their Crincal dual DD driver option that I own. It's all good stuff. It's all a steal at it's price. I'd expect they make a name for themselves with stuff like this and get a lot of "I'll try it buys" which the Crinacle one was for me and then I kept it! I'd also wager as they get better and more known their price goes up, as it should.

For those who care here's JH himself. The guy who helped kick all this off on the entire stuff and how he did it.

Come hear Jerry Harvey, the inventor of the modern in-ear monitor, speak on a variety of topics, ranging from his touring days as the sound engineer for acts like Van Halen, Kiss, Morrissey, Mötley Crüe, k.d. lang, and Linkin Park, to his entrepreneurial endeavors starting JH Audio and Ultimate Ears.

You'll note as the guy who founded ultimate ears he started selling multidriver IEMS in 1995!

Last edited:
Are these that much of a side grade to Dunu Titan S ? From the graph it doesn't seem there is much difference between the two IEMs.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Are these that much of a side grade to Dunu Titan S ? From the graph it doesn't seem there is much difference between the two IEMs.
Titan S comes off with less bass and more upper mids/treble. The Hexa is more balanced overall with its strength being in the lower frequencies instead.