1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

30fps doubling image in games

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by laimis911, May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laimis911 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i already tried everything ,this is why I'm here -tried everything and no luck solving this puzzle :) like i said every game with or without vsync caped at 30fps looks like crap . tried everything even such a tweaks like FLIP QUEUE SIZE also known as FRAMES RENDER AHEAD to prevent less frames ,nothing made a difference

2. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Run fraps and tell us what it says. It should show a steady 60fps. If it shows lower and/or starts dropping, then there's your problem right there. No ifs, buts or maybes.

It's free and you can get it at www.fraps.com

3. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    what is the make /model of your display?

4. laimis911 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm using Tv not pc monitor ,my TVs manufacturers i guess will be not known where you live but TV has good quality in my country ,also i have older PC monitor LG ,same doubling on both TV and monitor . I'm using HDMI ,tried on DVI-same thing

5. qubit

Thanks Received:
    TV/monitor makes no difference. They work the same way. The only differences are the feature sets and optimisations, but the underlying display technology is the same.

6. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    Is game mode enabled on tv? can you disable some of the picture settings?

7. laimis911 New Member

Thanks Received:
    what i need to benchmark for example ? game movie or anything else ?

8. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Just look at the frame rate displayed in yellow in the corner. It shouldn't budge much from 60. Please let us know what you see.

9. laimis911 New Member

Thanks Received:
    my tv doesn't have game mode only colors ,sharpness sliders etc in other options aspect ratio some kind of noise reduction -i don't know what it does but i guess not much .

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  10. laimis911 New Member

Thanks Received:
    the numbers doesn't appears until i watching movie or play game but they only showing movie or game frames . not desktop . or i don't understand something?

11. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Yes, that's right, the number shows up on animation and a movie counts as "animation" in this context, because it has a framerate.

btw, the desktop also has a framerate, but the display for this is disabled in Fraps by default and isn't particularly useful to see. There's an option to turn it on in the Fraps settings, but I can't remember which one it is off the top of my head. I think it may be called desktop composition or something.

Play the game where you were seeing the problem and let us know if the frame rate stays at 60 or if it drops. Any drops = judder/strobing and stutter motion artefacts.

12. laimis911 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I found that option to measure my desktop frames but fraps unable to do that ,frames meter is stuck until somethings moves on desktop so it's not possible to measure . i don't need to play specific game all games have the same issue with doubling if fps caped at 30fps . the reason i want to use limiter is to not have fps jumps and slow downs ,30fps its a nice spot where games are still playable and runs smooth but with that doubling it's very hard to play . for example i can run skyrim at 50-60fps and there is no need to cap ,but i recently played L.A Noire which is caped at 30fps by developers and that doubling really makes the game unplayable

13. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    LA Noire does the doubling without you manually forcing 30fps right?

14. Yo_Wattup New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is la noire the only game you see it on? If so, get the frame uncapping patch. If not, lower your settings so it doesn't drop to below 30fps.... I don't see what's so difficult about this... you say that it only happens when its at or below 30fps, so just increase the fps. ???

15. laimis911 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes

16. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I don't know if it was asked but have you tried a second TV or monitor?

Crunching for Team TPU
  17. laimis911 New Member

Thanks Received:
    you don't listening me :) i like quality over quantity . in order to get smooth image you need 60fps or 30fps running at 60hz same thing with 50hz monitor your fps must be 25 or 50 to get smooth image . And again i don't like when fps are jumping . Take assassins creed ,that game runs terrible from 60fps to 25 ,to make it more playable and more enjoyable fps capping is "must have thing" same thing with GTA4 and many others . I wrote this thread only to clarify is just me or more people has this problem playing at 30fps

18. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Yes, the desktop doesn't actually refresh until something moves, as you've discovered and this is normal. Your idea of capping the games at 30fps like this is fundamentally flawed and causes the doubling/judder you're seeing. There's nothing smooth about it and there's nothing wrong with your system. I really can't explain it any more clearly.

Am I right that you've got an nvidia card with the latest beta driver which allows capping of the framerate to half the monitor refresh rate? That driver is the only one which allows this, or the release driver for the GTX 680.

You should put your system specs in (go to your forum control panel) so that we can see what kind of system you have and can give you better advice. Plus, it's cool to share. :cool: See mine for an example.

19. laimis911 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes I've tried .

20. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried putting the card in a different PCI-e slot in the mobo?

21. laimis911 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm understand your explanation very clear . I'm using HD 6870 but i think there is no need to go further into specs because everything i see comes from my video card :) well there is a plenty fps limiters like dxtory (built in for any dx game) Msi Afterburner has that option(any dx), bandicam (any dx game), Fps Limiter 0.2 (dx9 games) D3D9 antilag v1.01 (for dx9 games)

qubit says thanks.
  22. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the fps limiter info, that was useful. :)

Sure, listing your specs is optional, but recommended.

Finally, I'm glad you understand what I'm saying about the frame rate. Get your system to run vsync-locked to the monitor's refresh rate with no dropped frames and you'll enjoy judder-free animation every time.

23. laimis911 New Member

Thanks Received:
    my motherboard doesn't supports crossfire so i think there is no other slot

24. laimis911 New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks and you're welcome :)

25. kn00tcn

kn00tcn

Thanks Received:
    uhhh, so is this solved?

juddering is not the same as ghosting frames

console games are NOT perfect 30fps or 60fps, some games have vsync, some dont, some can barely handle 25 fps, etc... they're just like pc games really, so why is only the pc showing a different image?

what seems to change is the cable used? the card's port, the monitor's port? the CCC settings