1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

30fps doubling image in games

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by laimis911, May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Irony

Irony

Thanks Received:
    Have you turned your 30fps cap off? If not, try it and see if that does anything. Also, have you turned on v-sync in any of the affected games? Also, its an off chance but do you have both power connectors plugged into the card? (I think 6870 has two) If yes on all of those, sometimes just reseating the card does wonders.

Folding for Team TPU
  2. laimis911 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Guys thank you all for trying to help but I've tried everything ,the main problem I've found and I read about it that even most powerful PC can't match old xbox360 or PS3 in some cases ,because consoles are created for gaming . you should watch what Joch Carmack says about how 10times more powerful PCs than consoles can't keep up with games like consoles and the main reason are DRIVERS. PC can have more ram,more powerful GPU and CPU but consoles have faster cycles between point A and point Z . Every frame must go through Windows ,drivers etc ,while consoles doesn't have most of these unnecessary things and every rendered frame goes much faster to the monitor ,That's why consoles have much smoother image ,no mater if there 25fps 30fps or 60fps . watch from 2m39s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hapCuhAs1nA&t=2m39s

3. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Awesome observation! I mean you really are an oracle of knowledge!

95Viper, kingkongtol and D007 say thanks.
  4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Definitely trade the PC in for a XBox. I see this as a good move.

5. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    This is, the dumbest thing, I have ever heard, In my entire life.. I'm sorry, I hate myself for saying that, but it's tru.. Shoot yourself in the foot please..
    Tell you what, next time Nasa uses an Xbox to get to the moon, you let me know...

IKR.. It hurt my head to read those words.. I swear I felt my brain explode in a small area..

No console competes with high end pc gaming. AT ALL, in ANY way, shape or form. Only a complete idiot or someone working for console makers would say that.
    Anyone who knows better... Well, they know better. That is just painfully false.

You really think My 2 thousand dollar pc, can't beat the holy shit out of a crapbox 5000?
    Beats it so baldy, when the next gen of xbox comes out, it's kids will be retarded..

"I sincerely hope my use of the word retarded doesn't offend anyone, just (trying) to be funny"

+1

I think this was just a troll.

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  6. laimis911 New Member

Thanks Received:
    John Carmak is programing genius and he says that PC struggling in many cases vs console and you still defending your PC . have you even listen what he said ? I guess not . with your GTX680 you don't have any problems because most games you are running from 50fps-X but try any game to cap at 30fps you will see how crappy it looks . if you spend zillion $ on your PC it doesn't mean that your PC is better in every way . I had a console ,now I'm PC gamer but never had problems playing Console games on 30fps while on PC it's almost unplayable.

7. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    John f-tar is a f-tard..
    I was on console until the ps3.. It does NOT compete and making any statement to sound as if they compete in any way at all. Is ridiculous.. Period..
    Lol you are cluless dude. Go to Xbox forums or something.. You have no idea and John whatshisface is just trying to make more money so he can pay his bills. I don't need to defend my pc. My pc is so BA, it's capable of getting up, sprouting legs and kicking ass all on it's own..

8. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    He was talking about RAGE. The reason he was talking like that was to push his console based game. Since then he has recanted his statement after the MASSIVE backlash he suffered. Yes Carmack is a programming genius. Hes also a promoter. Guess which side of the mouth he was speaking with in that video.

As for the "Console being 1337" you honestly have no clue what you are talking about. Even wonder why BF3 is limited to low res. textures and 32 players on the console and the PC has DX11, high res. textures and 64 players? Hmmm? I give you two guesses and one ain't because the console is stronger.

Thats ummmmmm yeah ok. Really man?

9. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    This is complete and utter rubbish. The situation with judder is as I explained to you earlier in this thread.

Carmack might be good at writing games, but he's still talking crap. Why? Because there's money in consoles so he wants to big them up and convince people like you to buy them so that he can make more profit. Carmack is lying.

While it's true that there's a lot of software overhead in Windows, there's still a ton more rendering power available than any console.

You'll see exactly the same judder on a console as a PC when they're both rendering at the same 30fps on a 60Hz monitor. Period. If they're both rendering at 60fps on a 60Hz monitor and vsync-locked then the smoothness will be perfect and equal on both the PC and the console.

10. Irony

Irony

Thanks Received:
    Console people, go play on your consoles. If you're happy with that then stay there, And be content deluding yourself into thinking they can outperform any decent PC. And stop trying to compare; there is no comparison between a briggs and stratton and a PT6; or Sega and Bethesda; etc...

Folding for Team TPU
  11. laimis911 New Member

Thanks Received:
    stop . people you are speaking all about graphics and power , my question in the first post was not about graphics or power ,but about "double image" yes I know that PC is more powerful and i already said that in older posts ,but PC has to go through much more things before frame goes to monitor unlike console and you must think about this, that sometimes power is not the only factor which matters. I don't care who has the better graphics ,I'm here to find an answer why 30fps looks like crap on any PC while on console looks nice and smooth . Take any game like Skyrim, Assassins Creed etc lock at 30fps play a bit ,go to console play the same game they are at 30fps . The difference will be HUGE . I believe even if Carmack trying to push his game that way there is much truth in his words .

12. qubit

Thanks Received:
    I'm beginning to think that you're living on another planet. I just explained to you a couple of posts ago that this is BS. Let me repeat the phrase again: You'll see exactly the same judder on a console as a PC when they're both rendering at the same 30fps on a 60Hz monitor. Period. If they're both rendering at 60fps on a 60Hz monitor and vsync-locked then the smoothness will be perfect and equal on both the PC and the console.

Remember, judder IS a double image. They are one and the same thing.

13. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    have you tried not using the frame limiter because if i cap skyrim at 30fps instead of 59 with bandicam it does exactly what your describing.
    Also how is the pc connected to the tv ?

14. laimis911 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nooo it's not the same how many times I have to repeat myself !:) honestly ,did you ever had a console ? I'm telling you THE DIFFERENCE IS HUGE same 30fps console vs PC (no doubling ,smooth image on console )

15. laimis911 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm using HDMI . If my fps uncapped doubling is less noticeable . I don't have any problems playing on higher fps 40 and more but games like Assassins creed, witcher 2 are more playable when fps are capped ,less stuttering and lag . but doing so makes image doubling . In general anything less than 40fps looks crappy

16. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Rubbish. You obviously haven't a clue how pictures are generated on a monitor/TV. You really should just google it and learn for yourself. You'll see I'm dead right.

If the console animation is looking smooth, it's because it's rendering at 60fps. Depending on the game and what's happening in the game, at times the framerate may drop, giving rise to judder/doubling/strobing whatever the fuck you wanna call it.

17. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a couple consoles and a PC. 30fps between on them on either my monitor or TV results in no difference to me. I'm pretty convinced your troubles lay elsewhere. Without being able to rercreate your problem, I unfortunately have no answer.

95Viper and n-ster say thanks.
  18. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    I lost interest a long time ago because it seems pretty clear the OP is more interested in whining and trolling than having his problem solved, but I'll say something.

First of all, the problem is not the PC or PC vs consoles. Period. Any healthy PC can render at any framerate without a doubling of the image such as the one shown in the OP.

You are capping your framerates to 30. What are you using and just stop using it (or reinstall) since that program is what is causing the problem.

/thread

95Viper, n-ster and qubit say thanks.
  19. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    Sorry yea, a bit over the line from me. I just know exactly what you said is true. He was pushing rage, of course he's going to lie, so he can make more money off it. Let's not forget rage flopped btw..

It's just something about sincere ignorance, that really gets to me. I hate it when people spew opinions as if they are facts.. Especially when they don't even understand the opinions they are talking about but act like they do..
    Xbox vs pc is what this guy is trying to turn this thread into. If it comes down to that...
    :roll:

Ok so you like having no graphics options and sub par hardware.. Ok we get it, have fun with that..

35 years old and I was console gaming until the ps3 came out. I know what they do..
    The insinuations you are making are total rubbish.. Learn how things work, refresh rates and hardware then come back with something that actually makes sense.. Not just something you thinks makes sense because you have no idea wth is going on..

And I am stepping away from this topic on that note..lol

Last edited: May 14, 2012
    qubit says thanks.
  20. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    But how the display handles that signal is different, that is what you have to understand. A lot of pre-processing is done on the hardware to make is scale properly to the panel and TVs do this differently.

21. qubit

Thanks Received:
    No, this has nothing to do with scaling. No amount of processing gets around the basic fact that rendering 30fps on a 60Hz monitor (vsync or no vsync) will lead to judder and rendering 60fps on a 60Hz monitor with vsync on will lead to a totally smoothly animated picture. Anyone that understands how a picture is created on the monitor (LCD or CRT or plasma, makes no difference here) will get this. It's worth googling it if you're unsure.

22. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    All I can say about this whole thread is if the PC with doubled images was in my hands it wouldn't have the issue you are experiencing. (most if not all other people in this thread will tell you this.) /thread

Being very blunt with this, but urdoinitwrong!

23. Irony

Irony

Thanks Received:
    Idk what the deal is, but like qubit just said I can run any game I have at any frame without any judder whatsoever. It will bog down of course in graphically intense places, but I have never ever seen any kind of doubling at any frame from 5-60 in any game.

Folding for Team TPU
  24. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Yes, console is better at 30 fps because of windows overhead

Guys please let him live in his fairyland
    Kthxsbye

qubit says thanks.
  25. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    Command and Conquer 3 Tiberium wars is locked to 30 fps. it has none of these issues.

laimis911, stop spreading crap.