• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Meze ELITE Open-Back Planar Magnetic Headphones

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Today we put Meze Audio's flagship open-back headphones to the test. The ELITE uses Rinaro's unique planar magnetic drivers to put out a warm and relaxing sound that is well complemented by the comfortable design and striking aesthetics around it.

Show full review

Comfort is crucial. I've often been tempted to purchase headphones after reading glowing reviews, but I balk at the slightest mention of discomfort.

The Meze 99Neo had a very vocal fan base for its rich creamy bass. I thought of buying a set, until someone mentioned heat building up in the enclosed cups and causing discomfort.

The Empyreans had an even bigger fan base and I'm sure the ELITE will generate tons of positive publicity. Sadly both are way, way over my budget, so I can only sit back and imagine the the sound from the measurements.

I treasure your exhaustive reviews for giving me a virtual experience of high-end audio gear.

Reactions: VSG

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
Comfort is crucial. I've often been tempted to purchase headphones after reading glowing reviews, but I balk at the slightest mention of discomfort.

The Meze 99Neo had a very vocal fan base for its rich creamy bass. I thought of buying a set, until someone mentioned heat building up in the enclosed cups and causing discomfort.

The Empyreans had an even bigger fan base and I'm sure the ELITE will generate tons of positive publicity. Sadly both are way, way over my budget, so I can only sit back and imagine the the sound from the measurements.

I treasure your exhaustive reviews for giving me a virtual experience of high-end audio gear.
The 99 Neo is closed and uses faux leather ear pads, not surprising that it can be warm over time. These are so much better thankfully, albeit a lot more expensive as you mentioned.

System Name Locutus TT P90 open air case
Processor Intel I7 12700K
Motherboard Asus Z690 WIFI D4
Cooling NZXT 280 mm AIO
Memory 32 Gig Corsair Vengeance 3600 DDR4
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 Holo LHR
Storage 3 various branded SSDs and 6 TB Seagate HD
Display(s) LG 32'' g-sync 144 Hz VA IPS
Case P90 open air case
Power Supply EVGA G2 1 KW
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Win 11 Pro
For $4000 too many flaws, should be flat with no added frequency colorations.

• Some instruments can come off recessed compared to others
  • Lower mids can suffer from bass bleed, affecting vocals and imaging
  • Not the most resolving set, albeit enough for most
  • Tonality might necessitate EQ for some

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
For $4000 too many flaws, should be flat with no added frequency colorations.

• Some instruments can come off recessed compared to others
  • Lower mids can suffer from bass bleed, affecting vocals and imaging
  • Not the most resolving set, albeit enough for most
  • Tonality might necessitate EQ for some
Then people would still dislike it because not everyone wants a neutral set.

Cooling NZXT 280 mm AIO
Case P90 open air case
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Win 11 Pro
You are missing the point of high end audio it is supposed to never add or remove from the source. If it is poorly mixed in the LF it should be reproduced as such, adding or removing sonic colorations is like censoring a novel or news story. If the vocals are sibilant they should be reproduced as harsh or spitty not EQed to make it sound polite. For 4K I can get a Krell integrated amp for that price.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
You are missing the point of high end audio it is supposed to never add or remove from the source. If it is poorly mixed in the LF it should be reproduced as such, adding or removing sonic colorations is like censoring a novel or news story. If the vocals are sibilant they should be reproduced as harsh or spitty not EQed to make it sound polite. For 4K I can get a Krell integrated amp for that price.
The point of personal audio is just that-personal. People have different tastes and like different things. You will find a lot of people love the Meze Elite and others dislike it.

Also, an integrated amp is a completely different product segment. You might as well say you can get a used car for that money. I don't get the point.

Cooling NZXT 280 mm AIO
Case P90 open air case
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Win 11 Pro
I thought the review was great but if I want a set of cans that need EQ to fix, they sell them in the checkout line at Walmart for 5 USD, not 4000. When you as a OEM market a 4K item it better be ruthlessly revealing or acoustically neutral, IMHO. This why a Krell mono block is 5 figures, they are ruthlessly revealing and do not make a poor recording sound good.

VSG

Editor, Reviews & News
Staff member
I thought the review was great but if I want a set of cans that need EQ to fix, they sell them in the checkout line at Walmart for 5 USD, not 4000. When you as a OEM market a 4K item it better be ruthlessly revealing or acoustically neutral, IMHO. This why a Krell mono block is 5 figures, they are ruthlessly revealing and do not make a poor recording sound good.
Don't get me wrong, I prefer other sets over this too as mentioned in the review. I'm just saying that audio is super subjective. What you and I care for (similar things btw) aren't shared by everyone. Either way, let's move on since we're just beating the same bush over and over :D

System Name :)
Processor Intel 13700k
Motherboard Gigabyte z790 UD AC
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 64GB GSKILL DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC
Storage 960GB Optane 905P U.2 SSD + 4TB PCIe4 U.2 SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz QD-OLED + Nixeus 27" IPS 1440p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) MOTU M4 - JBL 305P MKII w/2x JL Audio 10 Sealed --- X-Fi Titanium HD - Presonus Eris E5 - JBL 4412
Power Supply Silverstone 1000W
Mouse Roccat Kain 122 AIMO
Keyboard KBD67 Lite / Mammoth75
VR HMD Reverb G2 V2
Software Win 11 Pro
I have to disagree with the statement about EQing equating to low quality.
This video here gives a great analogy and can help other's understand the difference with EQing the $5 Walmart headphones vs the boutique units.
The 2 minutes starting from that point are what I'm referring to.

I'll also add that different companies have their own "acoustic signatures."