• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Starfield: FSR 3 vs DLSS 3 vs XeSS Comparison

Starfield has finally been updated with official support for AMD's FidelityFX Super Resolution 3, featuring Frame Generation technology, and Intel's Xe Super Sampling (XeSS 1.2) upscaler. Bethesda have also improved the quality of their DLSS implementation. In this mini-review we compare the image quality and performance gains offered by these technologies.

Show full review

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
Thanks for the comparison, it's a shame it's on such a mediocre and underwhelming game.

I can't believe how unfinished and empty Starfield still is, almost 6 months after launch which was, itself, delayed by almost a full year with 450 staff working on it full-time and 250 staff still assigned to it in 2024. I enjoyed it enough to finish the campaign but I gave up on collecting star powers because they were repetitive and boring, I had no desire to sit through any of the poorly-scripted, poorly-acted side quests, and having finished the campaign New Game+ was just about the least appealing thing I could imagine. Those 6/10 ratings are well deserved, and the 10/10 reviews at launch are all absolutely from sources I now deem as corrupt and in the pockets of the big publishers.

All the interesting handcrafted world stuff from prior Bethesda games is gone, and this FSR3 Frame-gen article is hard to fully appreciate because Bethesda's creation engine is so decrepit and obsolete that expecting FSR and Frame-gen to be bonus additions is just lipstick on a pig. They're necessary but unwelcome crutches for the game - which runs upscaled with frame-gen worse than anyone would expect it to run natively without frame-gen. In so many scenes where my 7800XT + 5800X3D were struggling to maintain 60fps, I was thinking "why does this game run so badly? It doesn't even look good - it wouldn't be out of place running on a PS4Pro or XB1!". Your last paragraph really highlights the godawful state of this game's performance and dated, unsuitable engine.

Sadly, Bethesda games have historically been fixed by modders and Bethesda have become increasingly hostile and uncooperative towards the modding community. As far as I'm concerned, Bethesda are done, they've not made a top-tier game in over a decade, and even then the games were technical disasters that the community stepped in to fix because Bethesda couldn't be bothered.

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
Thanks for the comparison, it's a shame it's on such a mediocre and underwhelming game.

I can't believe how unfinished and empty Starfield still is, almost 6 months after launch which was, itself, delayed by almost a full year with 450 staff working on it full-time and 250 staff still assigned to it in 2024. I enjoyed it enough to finish the campaign but I gave up on collecting star powers because they were repetitive and boring, I had no desire to sit through any of the poorly-scripted, poorly-acted side quests, and having finished the campaign New Game+ was just about the least appealing thing I could imagine. Those 6/10 ratings are well deserved, and the 10/10 reviews at launch are all absolutely from sources I now deem as corrupt and in the pockets of the big publishers.

All the interesting handcrafted world stuff from prior Bethesda games is gone, and this FSR3 Frame-gen article is hard to fully appreciate because Bethesda's creation engine is so decrepit and obsolete that expecting FSR and Frame-gen to be bonus additions is just lipstick on a pig. They're necessary but unwelcome crutches for the game - which runs upscaled with frame-gen worse than anyone would expect it to run natively without frame-gen. In so many scenes where my 7800XT + 5800X3D were struggling to maintain 60fps, I was thinking "why does this game run so badly? It doesn't even look good - it wouldn't be out of place running on a PS4Pro or XB1!". Your last paragraph really highlights the godawful state of this game's performance and dated, unsuitable engine.

Sadly, Bethesda games have historically been fixed by modders and Bethesda have become increasingly hostile and uncooperative towards the modding community. As far as I'm concerned, Bethesda are done, they've not made a top-tier game in over a decade, and even then the games were technical disasters that the community stepped in to fix because Bethesda couldn't be bothered.
Yeah I played Oblivion and I feel thats how open world games should be, its a live and vibrant world. Albeit with a ton of bugs which as you said got fixed by modders.

Starfield from your description sounds like its adopted the MMO model of game creation? MMO's I feel are such a lazy approach to game development.

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
Two decades even, if you are like me and consider everything after Morrowind to be a sharp decline.

System Name S.L.I + RTX research rig
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X 3D.
Motherboard MSI MEG ACE X570
Cooling Corsair H150i Cappellx
Memory Corsair Vengeance pro RGB 3200mhz 16Gbs
Video Card(s) 2x Dell RTX 2080 Ti in S.L.I
Storage Western digital Sata 6.0 SDD 500gb + fanxiang S660 4TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2
Display(s) HP X24i
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Power Supply EVGA G+1600watts
Mouse Corsair Scimitar
Keyboard Cosair K55 Pro RGB
Why do we have TAA again?
TAA looks like garbage.
Can we please get a native 2160p/4K with no AA & no AFF on the list?

I dunno, XeSS (on right) makes text, indicators and lights on cockpit very washed out and idk, fainted. (FSR3 on left)
memeb.jpg

Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Why do we have TAA again?
TAA looks like garbage.
Can we please get a native 2160p/4K with no AA & no AFF on the list?
Ok, I get the no AA angle, a lot of modern methods give questionable results, fair enough. But why, in gods name, would you want no AF? It pretty much has been a free setting performance-wise for a long while now and has no visual drawbacks. We aren’t in the 90-s where running without texture filtering was an intended look for a game in some cases.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
I bet these games would look a lot better if they'd apply whatever upscaling method before the TAA pass rather than after, which is how I am sure most of, if not all of them do it.

TAA reduces perceived resolution in motion massively, so when you upscale something from 1440p to 4K or whatever in reality you're trying to upscale from something that looks way worse than 1440p would look like if it wasn't for TAA.

Last edited:
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
I bet these games would look a lot better if they'd apply whatever upscaling method before the TAA pass rather than after, which is how I am sure most of, if not all of them do it.
Aren’t all three current methods (DLSS, FSR, XeSS) are by themselves temporal by nature and drop in instead of the TAA stage, not before or after? At least that’s how NV and Intel describe the process, unsure in AMD.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Aren’t all three current methods (DLSS, FSR, XeSS) are by themselves temporal by nature and drop in instead of the TAA stage, not before or after? At least that’s how NV and Intel describe the process, unsure in AMD.
The current frame goes through the TAA pass before it's upscaled, then the upscaler may have a temporal component as well, most new games don't even give you the option to turn off TAA because it's an integral part of the rendering pipeline.

The point is I suspect the results would be much better if TAA was applied after the image is upscaled.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter, they just poorly implemented the TAA and they are very unlikely to fix it. You should avoid the native TAA if at all possible in this game and use DLAA if your on nVidia, FSR3 on Native or XeSS on UQ if you on AMD or Intel. Especially at 1080p, your already at a lower resolution and the native TAA just destroys image quality so again use DLAA, FSR3 native or XeSS UQ.

System Name S.L.I + RTX research rig
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X 3D.
Motherboard MSI MEG ACE X570
Cooling Corsair H150i Cappellx
Memory Corsair Vengeance pro RGB 3200mhz 16Gbs
Video Card(s) 2x Dell RTX 2080 Ti in S.L.I
Storage Western digital Sata 6.0 SDD 500gb + fanxiang S660 4TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2
Display(s) HP X24i
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Power Supply EVGA G+1600watts
Mouse Corsair Scimitar
Keyboard Cosair K55 Pro RGB
Ok, I get the no AA angle, a lot of modern methods give questionable results, fair enough. But why, in gods name, would you want no AF? It pretty much has been a free setting performance-wise for a long while now and has no visual drawbacks. We aren’t in the 90-s where running without texture filtering was an intended look for a game in some cases.

Because we do not need it with the larger texture packs for 4K that are given now.

Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Because we do not need it with the larger texture packs for 4K that are given now.
AF has nothing to do with texture resolution though. You would still get quality degradation at oblique viewing angles and high distance regardless of resolution, that’s just an inherent limitation of how textures work with 3D rendering. Considering the negligible performance impact, leaving it off just because “muh 4K” makes absolutely no sense. And yes, EXTREMELY high res textures do mitigate the need for AF, but this is a far more taxing and VRAM intensive way of doing things.

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
History of FSR vs DLSS in TPU tests is consistent, so no need to read the review. The conclusion is already known.

When also the review starts with
To the dismay of many expectant gamers, Starfield only had support for AMD's FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR 2.2)
the reader already knows that FSR needs to be better than real life to even have a chance for a .... draw.

Fast bypassing the review and going to conclusion, one line is enough to confirm that there is nothing new to read here, compared to all those previous comparisons.
Unfortunately, despite the FSR implementation being updated from FSR 2.2 to FSR 3 with the latest patch, the quality of FSR upscaling remains the same as it was on launch day.

I find it funny how they're implementing this shit to a game that barely anyone's playing.

- Starfield had "$5 bargain bin" purchase written all over it from some of the very first launch trailers. Its been obvious for a while that Bethsoft just didn't know how to make the concept work or breathe life into it. Everything smacked of "Mass Effect but no soul".

MAYBE we'll get 2-3 DLCs that basically flesh out base building, survival, defense, and some additional story and pump the value up to $10 GOTY Edition purchase.

Processor Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asrock x670E Steel Legend
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezr II 420mm
Memory 64GB G.Skill DDR5 CAS30 fruity LED RAM
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4080 (Gigabyte)
Storage 2x Samsung 980 Pros, 3x spinning rust disks for ~20TB total storage
Display(s) 2x Asus 27" 1440p 165hz IPS monitors
Case Thermaltake Level 20XT E-ATX
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex VII 1000w
Mouse Logitech g502
Keyboard Logitech g915
Software Windows 11 Insider Preview
Fast bypassing the review and going to conclusion, one line is enough to confirm that there is nothing new to read here, compared to all those previous comparisons.

Yep. It's pretty pointless because by the end of 2024 all proprietary upscaling tech will be shitcanned in deference to standards implemented in DirectX and Vulkan, just like they did with raytracing.

I've tested FSR3 in both Talos Principle and Starfield now. I find that DLSS without FG looks and feels much better than FSR3, especially on foliage.

System Name 1. Glasshouse 2. Odin OneEye
Processor 1. Ryzen 9 5900X (manual PBO) 2. Ryzen 9 7900X
Motherboard 1. MSI x570 Tomahawk wifi 2. Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 670E
Cooling 1. Noctua NH D15 Chromax Black 2. Custom Loop 3x360mm (60mm) rads & T30 fans/Aquacomputer NEXT w/b
Memory 1. G Skill Neo 16GBx4 (3600MHz 16/16/16/36) 2. Kingston Fury 16GBx2 DDR5 CL36
Video Card(s) 1. Asus Strix Vega 64 2. Powercolor Liquid Devil 7900XTX
Storage 1. Corsair Force MP600 (1TB) & Sabrent Rocket 4 (2TB) 2. Kingston 3000 (1TB) and Hynix p41 (2TB)
Display(s) 1. Samsung U28E590 10bit 4K@60Hz 2. LG C2 42 inch 10bit 4K@120Hz
Case 1. Corsair Crystal 570X White 2. Cooler Master HAF 700 EVO
Audio Device(s) 1. Creative Speakers 2. Built in LG monitor speakers
Power Supply 1. Corsair RM850x 2. Superflower Titanium 1600W
Mouse 1. Microsoft IntelliMouse Pro (grey) 2. Microsoft IntelliMouse Pro (black)
Keyboard Leopold High End Mechanical
Software Windows 11
- Starfield had "$5 bargain bin" purchase written all over it from some of the very first launch trailers. Its been obvious for a while that Bethsoft just didn't know how to make the concept work or breathe life into it. Everything smacked of "Mass Effect but no soul".

MAYBE we'll get 2-3 DLCs that basically flesh out base building, survival, defense, and some additional story and pump the value up to $10 GOTY Edition purchase.
The problem is they really have kept and tried to build on an old engine. This game was overhyped and was never going to deliver a truly engaging and lasting experience. I am heartened by Intel's efforts to make XeSS work, however.

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D @ 5.15ghz BCLK OC, TG AM5 High Performance Heatspreader
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I, chipset fans removed
Cooling Optimus AMD Raw Copper/Plexi, HWLABS Copper 240/40+240/30, D5, 4x Noctua A12x25, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MHz 26-36-36-48, 56.6ns AIDA, 2050 FLCK, 160 ns TRFC
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Storage Intel Optane DC P1600X 118 GB, Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB
Display(s) 32" 240 Hz 1440p Samsung G7, 31.5" 165 Hz 1440p LG NanoIPS Ultragear
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel with pump/res combo
Audio Device(s) Audeze Maxwell Ultraviolet, Razer Nommo Pro
Power Supply SF750 Plat, transparent full custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS w/Noctua
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White & Jellykey, lubed/modded
Software Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 19053.3803
Benchmark Scores Legendary
Yep. It's pretty pointless because by the end of 2024 all proprietary upscaling tech will be shitcanned in deference to standards implemented in DirectX and Vulkan, just like they did with raytracing.
Er, proprietary ray tracing seems to be alive and well, for those that use RT, most have NVIDIA cards, although that's obviously also true for those who don't use RT too. Regardless, proprietary RT vendor tech, such as DLSS 3.5 Ray Reconstruction, is certainly still being updated and included in new games.

I highly doubt upscaling standards will go differently. Even Sony is rumoured to be moving away from FSR to their own model with the next PlayStation, which is a dominant slice of the console market. There's a chance Microsoft will do the same, perhaps with XeSS, if they do end up going with an Intel chip with the next Xbox.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D -30 uv
Motherboard AsRock Steel Legend B650
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory 32gb 6000 CL 30-36-36-76
Video Card(s) MERC310 7900 XT -60 uv +150 core
Display(s) NZXT Canvas IPS 1440p 165hz 27"
Case NZXT H710 (Red/Black)
Audio Device(s) HD58X, Asgard 2, Modi 3
Power Supply Corsair RM850W
I appreciate your work @maxus24 I just would like to say this FSR3 is designed first and foremost for 7000 series cards and we all know that, I personally believe for accurate results it should be tested on 7000 series cards and not a 4080. Not your fault as that is all you have.

That being said, I do believe the results you have would be different if done on 7900 xt or xtx, and if I am wrong then so be it, at least there would be evidence to prove so.

@Vya Domus why am I the only one who ever talks about this? I don't get it.

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
Cooling Optimus AMD Raw Copper/Plexi, HWLABS Copper 240/40+240/30, D5, 4x Noctua A12x25, Mayhems Ultra Pure
Memory 32 GB Dominator Platinum 6150 MHz 26-36-36-48, 56.6ns AIDA, 2050 FLCK, 160 ns TRFC
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition, Conductonaut Extreme, 18 W/mK MinusPad Extreme, Corsair XG7 Waterblock
Case Sliger SM570 CNC Aluminium 13-Litre, 3D printed feet, custom front panel with pump/res combo
Power Supply SF750 Plat, transparent full custom cables, Sentinel Pro 1500 Online Double Conversion UPS w/Noctua
Mouse Razer Viper Pro V2 Mercury White w/Tiger Ice Skates & Pulsar Supergrip tape
Keyboard Wooting 60HE+ module, TOFU Redux Burgundy w/brass weight, Prismcaps White & Jellykey, lubed/modded
I appreciate your work @maxus24 I just would like to say this FSR3 is designed first and foremost for 7000 series cards and we all know that, I personally believe for accurate results it should be tested on 7000 series cards and not a 4080. Not your fault as that is all you have.

That being said, I do believe the results you have would be different if done on 7900 xt or xtx, and if I am wrong then so be it, at least there would be evidence to prove so.

@Vya Domus why am I the only one who ever talks about this? I don't get it.
FSR, by design, is hardware agnostic, designed for maximum cross platform support, hence integration from consoles to phones to PCs. It is not like XeSS that has three different kernels, or DLSS, that requires tensor cores and is specifically built around NVIDIA architecture. FSR3 isn't really changed from FSR2, it just adds some features for attempted parity with NVIDIA, such as frame generation.

AMD frame generation technology also does not use or require hardware exclusive to AMD, beyond simply having enough GPU horsepower to generate a good enough base FPS, unlike DLSS3 FG, which requires the optical flow accelerator within Ada cards, so there's no real difference there either.

Your argument would be more suitable to instead support also running game testing on Intel Arc GPUs, but without speaking for reviewers, I'd wager it's a limited enough consumer base to not warrant the expense and time at this point, beyond acknowledging that IQ and performance will be slightly better on native Intel hardware. Perhaps when Battlemage comes out.

Besides, other reviewers and the general public encounter similar issues with FSR. Unfortunately AMD has simply not improved the upscaler component for quite a long time at this point.

Personally I think the XeSS approach has the best balance, DLSS for sure has the best quality, but it's not universal, requiring specific hardware, and FSR goes too far in support, without enough development to make the end result good enough.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D -30 uv
Motherboard AsRock Steel Legend B650
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory 32gb 6000 CL 30-36-36-76
Video Card(s) MERC310 7900 XT -60 uv +150 core
Display(s) NZXT Canvas IPS 1440p 165hz 27"
Case NZXT H710 (Red/Black)
Audio Device(s) HD58X, Asgard 2, Modi 3
Power Supply Corsair RM850W
FSR, by design, is hardware agnostic, designed for maximum cross platform support, hence integration from consoles to phones to PCs. It is not like XeSS that has three different kernels, or DLSS, that requires tensor cores and is specifically built around NVIDIA architecture. FSR3 isn't really changed from FSR2, it just adds some features for attempted parity with NVIDIA, such as frame generation.

AMD frame generation technology also does not use or require hardware exclusive to AMD, beyond simply having enough GPU horsepower to generate a good enough base FPS, unlike DLSS3 FG, which requires the optical flow accelerator within Ada cards, so there's no real difference there either.

Your argument would be more suitable to instead support also running game testing on Intel Arc GPUs, but without speaking for reviewers, I'd wager it's a limited enough consumer base to not warrant the expense and time at this point, beyond acknowledging that IQ and performance will be slightly better on native Intel hardware. Perhaps when Battlemage comes out.

Besides, other reviewers and the general public encounter similar issues with FSR. Unfortunately AMD has simply not improved the upscaler component, for quite a long time at this point.

Personally I think the XeSS approach has the best balance, DLSS for sure has the best quality, but it's not universal, requiring specific hardware, and FSR goes too far in support, without enough development to make the end result good enough.

fair enough, thank you for explaining it to me

I personally thought Starfield looked good on my 1440p 7900 xt rig, I recall even sharing some artistic screenshots on the Starfield thread here. I think sometimes with this upscaling stuff we hyperfocus on things that we really never notice when actually playing the game. it is what it is though and I agree with your conclusion, interesting to see that Intel is actually the winner though, I really hope they can improve next gen and get the drivers sorted for a majority of games, would be nice to have a third competitor to keep prices in check

dgianstefani

TPU Proofreader
Staff member
System Name Silent
fair enough, thank you for explaining it to me

I personally thought Starfield looked good on my 1440p 7900 xt rig, I recall even sharing some artistic screenshots on the Starfield thread here. I think sometimes with this upscaling stuff we hyperfocus on things that we really never notice when actually playing the game. it is what it is though and I agree with your conclusion, interesting to see that Intel is actually the winner though, I really hope they can improve next gen and get the drivers sorted for a majority of games, would be nice to have a third competitor to keep prices in check
DLSS is the winner in technical performance, and the exclusivity isn't really a big problem since NVIDIA cards are the vast majority, with RTX features being around for three generations now. Intel XeSS just has the best approach to balancing technical performance with compatibility, likely so as to support non-PC platforms in future, as I can't see a reason why they'd spend the development resources otherwise.

Processor Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asrock x670E Steel Legend
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezr II 420mm
Memory 64GB G.Skill DDR5 CAS30 fruity LED RAM
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4080 (Gigabyte)
Storage 2x Samsung 980 Pros, 3x spinning rust disks for ~20TB total storage
Display(s) 2x Asus 27" 1440p 165hz IPS monitors
Case Thermaltake Level 20XT E-ATX
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex VII 1000w
Mouse Logitech g502
Keyboard Logitech g915
Software Windows 11 Insider Preview
Er, proprietary ray tracing seems to be alive and well, for those that use RT, most have NVIDIA cards, although that's obviously also true for those who don't use RT too. Regardless, proprietary RT vendor tech, such as DLSS 3.5 Ray Reconstruction, is certainly still being updated and included in new games.
Sort of.

Ray reconstruction occurs after the ray tracing calculations happen (which are done at the API level and vendor independent) but replaces the normal denoiser with a custom pre-trained AI denoiser. That's the "reconstruction" part.

Technically AMD and Intel could come up with their own denoiser that leverages their their own tensor/vector/matrix cores.

It's just math.

I highly doubt upscaling standards will go differently. Even Sony is rumoured to be moving away from FSR to their own model with the next PlayStation. There's a chance Microsoft will do the same, perhaps with XeSS, if they do end up going with an Intel chip with the next Xbox.

That information comes from two MLID videos/podcasts.
  • Tom covered that Microsoft is trying to pressure AMD for lower pricing on next-gen custom silicon and threatened to go to ARM or Intel.
    • Microsoft also did this last-gen and AMD called their bluff.
    • Intel is super-hungry for Microsoft's business, which is when Tom and Dan started spitballing the idea of the XBox using XeSS.
    • They also mentioned why it's highly unlikely that Microsoft would switch to Intel unless Intel just made them a ridiculous at-cost deal.
  • Tom and his guest in a more recent podcast mentioned that Sony is rumored to be developing an upscaling tech. It's important to point out that:
    • The PS4 and 5 don't use DirectX or Vulkan. They have their own low-level API called GNM and GNMX. Their shader language is PSSL.
    • They're developing their own hardware accelerated upscaling tech for the same reason Microsoft are.

So why are Microsoft and Sony developing their own tech?
  • To prevent vendor lock in (e.g. Switching from AMD to Intel)
  • To make it easier to develop for and port games from console to PC and vice versa.
  • Developing for three different proprietary upscaling technologies means comitting expansive engineering time for three different code paths and at least three more quality control efforts. That's ridiculously expensive.
    • Coincidentally that's also why most studios ship with FSR initially - they can hit both consoles and the PC in one swimlane.
I hope I explained it more clearly this time rather than just making a simple statement. I sometimes forget that most people don't have a lot of experience working in software or hardware development.

Last edited: