1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

32 bit vs 64 bit: How it relates to video cards

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Mussels, Apr 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Just Look up LSI/3ware 9650SE windows 7 driver. Win 7 does alot better of supporting hardware excluding NF-NF4 chipsets because NV decided to not produce drivers during vista time

2. CoMF New Member

Thanks Received:
    @eidairaman1

Done and done. That's how I found out that MS says my card is supported right out of the box without the need for any additional drivers.

Also, no concerns here. My chipsets are AMD. :)

I think it's safe to say that I can finally lay this to rest. I'll upgrade to 7 64-bit Pro and add some additional memory and the aforementioned Crossfire cards once my funds permit it. That should make my system future-proof for quite some time.
  3. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    can you just list all of your system specs so i know what im dealing with when n if problems occur
  4. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:

:confused:

I have no idea where that came from.... I'm pretty much a straight-forward insults type of guy on the forums :) If I'm gonna stick the proverbial poker in ya, I'll do it loud and obnoxious like :) Now in person, it's a bit different. I've been accused of being in a different country by the time someone realizes I've zinged them :toast:

Just simply stating that Vista was a noxious mess that most of us hated with a passion, and that 7 is a considerable improvement. As for the M$ hate, I fall in the camp of "Hate it, but it's where I keep all my stuff :)"
  5. CoMF New Member

Thanks Received:
    @eidairaman1

No need. I appreciate the offer, however.

@Ahhzz

No worries, mate. Sorry if I read ya the wrong way. :p
  6. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    honestly i just want to know what your running so i can provide solutions etc...
  7. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Then start a new thread . Really this is not helpful to the topic at hand .

64 Bit is far better IMHO than the 32 Bit OS . Fact is that it has been around for some 5-6 years now and they still have yet to get programs up to speed . Using 32 bit applications on a 64 bit OS and CPU is kind of redundant !
  8. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    oh so ur in Sequim huh, not far from you actually :D
  9. trickson

Thanks Received:
    :d
  10. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    it was this :D
  11. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Yeah some thing is wrong ! :D:banghead:
  12. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    :laugh: chill and have a beer or whiskey dude:toast:

13. CoMF New Member

Thanks Received:
    @eidairaman1

If you insist... PM sent. I'd prefer not to hijack this thread like trickson said, however.

@trickson

I have programs and games which I don't want to dustbin, so the ability to run 32-bit apps in a 64-bit OS is important to me, hardly what I'd consider "redundant." Thankfully, I've learned that it's a non issue as a 64-bit OS can run 32-bit programs perfectly well.

Also, 64-bit OSes aren't "new" by any stretch of the imagination.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  14. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Ok let me try this again . While it is fine and dandy to have an OS that is 64 bit and be able to run 32 bit games programs and such it is still redundant , Why ? Well lets see in order for "US" to move forward there has to be an inherent need to push things forward . As it is there really is no need to move forward , 64 bit is still a novelty or viewed as such by the gaming and software industry . 64 Bit software and games are still few and far between . The industry has no real need to move forward and come up with faster better software since the current 32 bit crap can be run on the current 64 bit OS and machines ! Get it now ? Or are you still convinced that the 8 track cassette tapes and VHS tapes are far better than the CD / DVD ? It is the same premiss . Thing is programers are lazy and corporations are greedy and there is NO push for them to get off there ass and deliver , This just makes our OS and CPU's pretty much redundant . We pay for new better stuff they hand us old crap we are stuck with .
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  15. CoMF New Member

Thanks Received:
    @trickson

Settle down. Change doesn't happen simply because Microsoft screams "Paradigm shift!" You need to look at the bigger picture:

Over time Windows 7 will vastly supersede XP's market share. It's not quite there yet, but it won't be long before it does. In due course, more games and software will be coded to take advantage of the 64-bit instruction set. The current hard drive price crunch will draw more people toward SSDs (which, incidentally, are optimally utilised under Windows 7). The time will also come (again, in due course) when having only 2 GBs of RAM is no longer practical, which will be a further nod towards 64-bit operating systems.

In short, change doesn't happen overnight. Especially when market conditions aren't ideal for a major shift towards 64-bit personal computing. If you want someone to blame, blame Microsoft and their flawed business model.
  16. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Yes change does happen over night . This change though should have already happened . Think for a second about the time line . as far as I can tell 64 bit OS's have been around for 5 years now . just how long do they all need 10-15-20 more years . See my point ? Change only happens when there is a force that pushes you forward . There is no real change here because of AMD . Giving CPU's the ability to run both 32 and 64 bit code . You can not play a DVD in your VHS tape played nor can you slide your CD into a tape deck ! Change happens it did not take 20 years for them to change that format !
    Oh and by the time 64 bit becomes mainstream there will no longer be a windows 7 or windows 8 not only will they not be around they will not even be supported . So really all I have done is piss away good cash for some thing not really needed at all. Microsoft knows this and is feeding off this .
  17. CoMF New Member

Thanks Received:
    @trickson

Actually, they've been around quite a lot longer than that, and they were traditionally used for rather boring and pedestrian tasks from a "gamer" perspective.

Think of the world of ever-advancing technology as a sort of Red Queen's race, and things begin to make a little more sense.
  18. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Well since the advent is to make money and cheap games for xbox and Wii I guess there is NO real need for us to pay for a 64bit OS and no need for Microsoft to PIMP one on us since well there is no inherent need for any one to have one . As well as the video card industry why is it they are producing faster and faster cards when well there is no real need for any thing this powerful ? We have no games that NEED them nor do we have a need for DX11 or DX11.1 ! You see my point now ? Other than the fact a shiny new car with more bells and whistles in it is better to gloat to your friends about what is the real need ? See you have the same thinking as the industry as a whole has . Why change when there is no need . Since we have CPU's that can run both 32bit and 64bit code what is more cost effective for US ? 32bit as it is faster and easier to write code for than it is for 64bit . It is cost and that is what it comes down to.
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  19. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    No... no it isnt. if the app doesnt benefit from 64 bit (say, web browser/media player) then why should they update it? it maintains greater compatibility.

even games dont need to be 64 bit yet, since a 32 bit app on a 64 bit OS gets twice the ram address space thanks to LAA.

trickson: please stop derailing the thread. if you dont want progress to cost you money, dont buy any new stuff. the end.
    CoMF and eidairaman1 say thanks.
  20. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    this thread is nothing but a spam magnet lately, so i'm locking it. it can always be unlocked at a later date should it need to be.
    night.fox and eidairaman1 say thanks.